How to Get Viciedo in the Line UP

Lillian

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
It is simple addition by subtraction to me. Pierre has the 2nd worst fielding percentage (.938) of any starting position player in the AL.

And you still have no idea how Viciedo is in LF. You literally have never seen him play it.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Speaking of accountability...the piece on espn's site about the Pirates climb back to respectability and Clint Hurdle's presense now...something in there really caught my eye.

The Anti-Ozzie...

Right. Because Ozzie stays up at night wondering if Juan Pierre likes him...

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Juan Pierre has always been a terrible outfielder. If anything, last year was the fluke stretch where he was actually good in the OF.

That's not true. Regardless, it really doesn't matter at this point, Pierre has been horrendous and needs to be out of the lineup, period.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
Right. Because Ozzie stays up at night wondering if Juan Pierre likes him...

Hahaaa...way to skip right over the bolded parts of the statement.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:11 PM)
And you still have no idea how Viciedo is in LF. You literally have never seen him play it.

No, I have not seen him play LF this not brain surgery SS2K5 it is f***ing baseball. He cannot be any more worse in LF than noodle arm Pierre.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:22 PM)
Rios

Ramirez

Dunn

PK

CQ

Teahen

Viciedo

Beckham

AJ

This is what I think the Sox should run out there. Rios and Ramirez are interchangeable. The defense would be terrible, but we need to score.

I like the general idea behind that lineup, although I'd rather not use Teahan at 3B. Give Vizquel more starts at 3B against right-handers and perhaps lead him off. Bat Morel 8th when he plays. I love AJ last though. That should be a no brainer, but nothing is ever simple with Ozzie.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
No, I have not seen him play LF this not brain surgery SS2K it is f***ing baseball. He cannot be any more worse in LF than noodle arm Pierre.

Forget brain surgery, evidently you don't need anything at all! Any other made up things we should be doing to improve the team?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Please explain why he continues to play, then. And also explain what harm would come of playing him over Pierre.

Wait you really believe that Ozzie is worried about what Juan Pierre thinks of him, and that is why he is playing LF everyday?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Wait you really believe that Ozzie is worried about what Juan Pierre thinks of him, and that is why he is playing LF everyday?

I believe that he likes him and the type of player he is, so he continues to play him. If he were, say, Brian Anderson or another person who that he already disliked, he would have no problem pulling him for lack of production.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I believe that he likes him and the type of player he is, so he continues to play him. If he were, say, Brian Anderson or another person who that he already disliked, he would have no problem pulling him for lack of production.

I believe he likes the type of player he is, and that is why he plays. We all know Ozzie wants a team fully of lead off hitters.

I don't think for a second that he plays him because he is worried about what Pierre thinks of him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
No offense, but I don't understand the logic of this post. Viciedo is a very good hitter. Do we not want those?

Hm. I think you might be stretching it a bit calling him a "very good hitter" already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)

Ozzie won't use Vizquel in certain situations out of "respect", so yeah I think he'd give Pierre an unusually long leash for the same reason. We're talking about his favorite player here. Pierre works hard and is great in the clubhouse, which I think would make it hard for Ozzie to pull him out of the lineup.

The other problem is that Ozzie wishes he could have nine Pierre's in his lineup, so convincing himself to pull one may be impossible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 06:46 AM)
What errors have I missed lately?

Last nights game he turned a double into a triple with his weak arm (I'm probably being overly harsh on that) and on the Torri Hunter fly that was a catchable ball that a good outfielder makes 8 out of 10 times.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 12, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
Juan Pierre has always been a terrible outfielder. If anything, last year was the fluke stretch where he was actually good in the OF.

That isn't true. Outside of his arm, Juan Pierre has been an above average left fielder. Last season might have been his best defensive season but he's always been above average in every area but arm strength for a LFer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Hm. I think you might be stretching it a bit calling him a "very good hitter" already.

An .840 OPS last year in the majors and an .838 OPS in AAA this year (after a terrible start due to his hand) is pretty damn good for an OF. Plus he is young and will continue to get better.

I still don't get how he is not a fit for this team.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:41 PM)
Ozzie won't use Vizquel in certain situations out of "respect", so yeah I think he'd give Pierre an unusually long leash for the same reason. We're talking about his favorite player here. Pierre works hard and is great in the clubhouse, which I think would make it hard for Ozzie to pull him out of the lineup.

The other problem is that Ozzie wishes he could have nine Pierre's in his lineup, so convincing himself to pull one may be impossible.

Phenomenal post! :notworthy

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)
An .840 OPS last year in the majors and an .838 OPS in AAA this year (after a terrible start due to his hand) is pretty damn good for an OF. Plus he is young and will continue to get better.

And a cannon for an arm in the outfield

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)

I'd actually put him in the 2 spot. His OBP might stink but we don't have any other option and he should get a ton of fastballs in front of Dunn and he's got solid speed.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)

That has nothing to do with being worried about what he thinks of him. It is also a big stretch to equate Omar to Pierre. One of them is a Hall of Famer in waiting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
That has nothing to do with being worried about what he thinks of him. It is also a big stretch to equate Omar to Pierre. One of them is a Hall of Famer in waiting.

In Guillen's book so is Pierre

Pierre will get hot here fora couple of days like last night and Guillne will leave him in there reality be damned.

The grinderliciousness of pierre will keep him in there. Pods was just as bad as Pierre in LF.

There is no reason while Lillibridge is hitting to not get him in there a couple of times a week.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
In Guillen's book so is Pierre

Pierre will get hot here fora couple of days like last night and Guillne will leave him in there reality be damned.

The grinderliciousness of pierre will keep him in there. Pods was just as bad as Pierre in LF.

There is no reason while Lillibridge is hitting to not get him in there a couple of times a week.

Where has he ever said anything like he wouldn't take him out of games because he respects him too much?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
The fact remains that he's the only true impact bat we have in the minors and we're not going to be adding to the payroll, so it will have to be Viciedo or Danks.

I suppose in a very worst-case scenario they could try McPherson, but that's about as likely as them giving a starting job to Michael Restovich, Maurice Gartrell, David Cook or that LH 1B we picked up from the D-Backs who was like a poor man's Ross Gload without a position.

Who? Do you mean Josh Kroeger?

Edited by JPN366