How to Get Viciedo in the Line UP

Lillian

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 12:56 PM)
Where has he ever said anything like he wouldn't take him out of games because he respects him too much?

Well he has said he won't take away Pierre's greenlight on the basepaths out of respect.

CHICAGO -- Juan Pierre picked up his sixth stolen base during Francisco Liriano's no-hitter and Minnesota's 1-0 victory Tuesday, marking just his second successful stolen base over his last 10 tries. He had been thrown out three straight times since stealing second on April 21, but manager Ozzie Guillen won't take away the green light from his top base-stealing threat.

"I can't change Juan," Guillen said. "Juan is a veteran player, and he knows what he's doing.

I've given up on expecting any change with this team. I'm just going to assume they're using what they got until the all-star break, and if it clicks, it clicks. If it doesn't, they'll dump what they can the last three weeks of July.

Whether or not we agree, Ozzie will likely not start anyone at leadoff who is not a base stealer. That means that if Pierre sits, either Lillibridge or Rios has to lead off. That was part of my original suggestion of putting Brent in the lineup. If Viciedo takes and OF spot, that means J. P. has to go, and Lillibridge has to play in the infield in order to leadoff.

Vizquel should start to get some playing time at either 3RD or 2ND. Why not bench either Morel or Beckham, and let Omar play and bat second, which is where he is best suited?

Having Omar's glove on the field at least makes up for any defensive diminution resulting from the switch to Viciedo for J. P. And given Dyan's arm, it may not even degrade the defense in L.F.

An infield of Omar at 3RD and Lillibridge at 2ND would be very good defensively.

I love Beckham, but this can't be allowed to continue much longer.

How many 200 hitters can this team afford to have?

If it wouldn't be for Carlos and Paulie, this team wouldn't have any offensive production.

I just can't see how a manager lets so many guys play so poorly without some accountability.

What the hell is this? Do we now have a tenured system for baseball?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
How often in our blogs do we diss any player with questionable defense and yet Juan pierre gets a bye. I'm guess its because he walks a lot, steals base half the time he attempts or is it because of his RBI totals. Can't we dfa him and recall Viciedo

Where do you get that Juan Pierre gets a bye? He has been public enemy number one for six weeks now.

Man Juan Pierre is really under the bus this season.

He's become the new Kotsay/Wise.

He stinks, but he did get on base 3 times last night as well as dropping the deep drive.

That ball was hit pretty hard and deep.

It's Peavy who gets the bye on here. He's beloved.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 12, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
Man Juan Pierre is really under the bus this season.

He's become the new Kotsay/Wise.

He stinks, but he did get on base 3 times last night as well as dropping the deep drive.

That ball was hit pretty hard and deep.

It's Peavy who gets the bye on here. He's beloved.

It's easier to hate a guy because he routinely f***s up and ruins games than it is to hate a guy because of a string of injuries. It's not like Peavy has been terrible when he has pitched for us healthy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
I can't believe the 180 on Danks. It was a like a week ago he was a bust. Now he should be called up? Man I am going to be able to recognize people on this site by their neck collars from all of the whiplash.

After his 0-5 with a K today, I'm sure the bandwagon will see people jump off.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
After his 0-5 with a K today, I'm sure the bandwagon will see people jump off.

Even before today the guy was hitting in the .240's with a crazy high k rate. It's nice that he's had a week long hot streak but it's absolute crazy talk to discuss him being promoted to the majors. He'd get eaten alive.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
It's easier to hate a guy because he routinely f***s up and ruins games than it is to hate a guy because of a string of injuries. It's not like Peavy has been terrible when he has pitched for us healthy.

Don't mind greg. He has an odd obsession of feeling sorry for awful Sox players and trying to find equal blame with other players that are less deserving for it.

QUOTE (kane0730 @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
I know this would be NEVER happen, but I'd love to see this for 2 weeks:

Rios

Alexi

Dunn

PK

CQ

AJ

DV

GB

MT/BM

Same as mine except switch Teahen and AJ. There is no way we should try and masquerade as some small ball team when we have power all over the diamond.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
Perfect, I've been suggesting that for two weeks.

Which is almost exactly the lineup that was planned for next season this past spring, just switching beckham and ramirez.

Now gordon's struggles may have changed that...

QUOTE (Lillian @ May 12, 2011 -> 02:09 PM)
Whether or not we agree, Ozzie will likely not start anyone at leadoff who is not a base stealer.

I think you are right about this. If Juan sucks, we really don't have the protype leadoff man. I don't buy into the stereotype that a leadoff man has to have great speed. I think we should do something abnormal and not really be concerned with who is leading off the game. Bench Juan, put Dayan out there and have an unconventional leadoff man. It could be Dunn or Carlos for all I care, just someone who gets on base.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
You're seriously kidding yourself if you don't believe Ozzie plays favorites. He's not going to come out and say it.

But not because of something stupid like what Juan Pierre thinks of him. That's the whole point. And the other side of that is that all people, and managers, play favorites.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:50 PM)
But not because of something stupid like what Juan Pierre thinks of him. That's the whole point. And the other side of that is that all people, and managers, play favorites.

Aren't you the one that came up with the idea that he plays Pierre because of what he thinks of him?

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
The biggest issue is we have our worst hitter getting the most at bats every game.

This is by far the biggest reason why Ozzie and KW need to go. Anyone who watches baseball on a regular basis can tell how bad Pierre is offensively, especially when he can't steal bases. To bat that player first each and every game makes me want to vomit. How our manager and GM can't see this makes me question their knowledge of the game. Hell, even Phil Rogers was ripping into giving Pierre the most at-bats this past off-season. That should show how blatantly obvious this problem really is. Worst of all, we have better options sitting in AAA. There's just no excuse whatsoever for this nonsense.

I could just see Jordan Danks coming up, failing more horrifically than Brian Anderson in 2006, then that being used as the reason how Ozzie ruined his career and his brother left the organization to become a free agent.

I kid. Well, just sort of.

It does seem like we're back to another Wise, Erstad, Mackowiak, etc., situation.

It's not like Ozzie hasn't benched players like Swisher in the past that had big contracts. The problem is that doing so made Swisher's value negligible to our organization. And you can't argue that going with veterans in the past like Uribe down the stretch in 2008 and Vizquel in 2010 hasn't worked out quite well.

But it seems Ozzie always prefers the fading yet "professional" veteran. By benching him, it's not like you undermine Pierre's value. You're not going to recoup anything for him at this point, so they should defer to putting the personnel on the field that give them the best chance to win any given game.

Viciedo does 2 arguments against him, Bell and the minor league staff might not think he's quite ready defensively AND/OR the plate discipline issue.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 12, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I could just see Jordan Danks coming up, failing more horrifically than Brian Anderson in 2006, then that being used as the reason how Ozzie ruined his career and his brother left the organization to become a free agent.

I kid. Well, just sort of.

It does seem like we're back to another Wise, Erstad, Mackowiak, etc., situation.

It's not like Ozzie hasn't benched players like Swisher in the past that had big contracts. The problem is that doing so made Swisher's value negligible to our organization. And you can't argue that going with veterans in the past like Uribe down the stretch in 2008 and Vizquel in 2010 hasn't worked out quite well.

But it seems Ozzie always prefers the fading yet "professional" veteran. By benching him, it's not like you undermine Pierre's value. You're not going to recoup anything for him at this point, so they should defer to putting the personnel on the field that give them the best chance to win any given game.

Viciedo does 2 arguments against him, Bell and the minor league staff might not think he's quite ready defensively AND/OR the plate discipline issue.

Danks is not being called up.

Viciedo in right, Quentin in left and Lillibridge at third. The pitchers may as well just give up. To get Viciedo in the batting order I guess you must put him in left or right, but yikes what an outfield. Not much worse than it is now though with Pierre.

Who leads off? Vizquel, the second baseman. I can live without Beckham in the starting lineup. I too wish we had Getz at second and leading off.