Omar Vizquel

jasonxctf

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
Morel is already losing the job. It isn't much of a leap to think Omar will take it.

Wouldn't surprise me if soon, Morel gets sent back to AAA to sort out the hitting, and Viciedo gets called up to get OF at bats. Vizquel and Teahen to man 3B.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Morel is already losing the job. It isn't much of a leap to think Omar will take it.

Which of course, is our standard method of prospect development. 75 at bats or so is all the chance to adapt to the league that you get.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
Every time he's in there he makes something good happen.

Question is, how much can you get out of a 44 year old body?

This is my concern. I'd like to see him on a semi-regular basis, but how many days a week can he play before it's too many?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
I've wanted this to happen from the very beginning. If he's not dead, use him at third. And if he is, use him at third anyway because it would still be better than Morel at the plate.

He'd still be able to draw a walk better than Morel. That's for sure.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Ugh, I don't know why this is such a joke to a lot of you. There is zero accountability on this team, I guess unless you're a young guy.

It's dumb if it's a joke because you're speaking some good truth. I wish our catcher had more pressure behind him but we may not see that til next year, if ever. So sad. I think AJ needs to bat ninth for the rest of his tenure here. Oh wait, so does Pierre. Oh yea, and Beckham and Morel too. 4 easy outs outa 9- damn.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 16, 2011 -> 01:51 PM)
Ugh, I don't know why this is such a joke to a lot of you. There is zero accountability on this team, I guess unless you're a young guy.

I think Ozzie's idea of accountability is that if you are young, you MUST perform in the first couples month or so, or else you are going to be replaced. And if you are a veteran, then you can work yourself out of any slump you are in, and Ozzie will have full faith in you until your contract expires.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 16, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
I think Ozzie's idea of accountability is that if you are young, you MUST perform in the first couples month or so, or else you are going to be replaced. And if you are a veteran, then you can work yourself out of any slump you are in, and Ozzie will have full faith in you until your contract expires.

Particularly if you were fast and/or good at any point within the last 10 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 16, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Which of course, is our standard method of prospect development. 75 at bats or so is all the chance to adapt to the league that you get.

Other than Beckham, how many rookies have just come in and been given at least 3/4th's of a season to prove themselves?

It took Crede and Rowand 2-3 years to break the starting line-up.

Borchard, Sweeney and Brian Anderson are examples that come to mind right away. Josh Fields, in 2007, I guess. Of course, we all know how that ended up. Ironic that the ONE year we actually had to let the youth play extensively and without any pressure that Fields/Owens/Gonzalez/Wasserman are all out of the game or in career purgatory no less than 4 years later.

Morel needs more AB in the majors. He doesn't have holes in his swing, he just looks overmatched. He needs reps against good pitching.

Also, nothing Omar Vizquel can do is going to turn this team around. He's a very useful piece, but it's in this team;s best interest to let Morel figure it out at the major league level.

Omar isn't the everyday answer.

Tell me again why they moved Viciedo to the outfield? He couldn't beat out Morel or his defense was awful at third? Why move him to the outfield if he can't play outfield better than Juan?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2011 -> 03:13 AM)

Tell me again why they moved Viciedo to the outfield? He couldn't beat out Morel or his defense was awful at third? Why move him to the outfield if he can't play outfield better than Juan?

Bingo. Not very good at 3B, and considering Morel had a great glove in the minors, and his offense was coming around, the best idea was to move him to the OF, especially since our minor league OF talent is so damn thin.

And Dunn/Konerko were already onboard, thus no PT at DH/1B.

Along with the acquisition and extension of Teahen, although it was pretty clear by mid 2010 that Teahen wasn't the long-term solution at 3B, either.

But he always had the most value (by far) to the franchise if he could play an adequate 3B. I guess RF would be the next most logical, because of his arm.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 17, 2011 -> 02:13 AM)

They originally tried moving him to 1b to start the 2010 season, but when we brought him up and let him ride the bench for 2 weeks, we started putting him back at 3b so that he would actually play on occasion.