How important is this 2 game series with CLE

southsider2k5

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they lose both, they aren't done, but it's going to make it that much tougher to come back.

Winning both puts the Sox at 20-25, and 8 back, with 13 games left with the Indians. Very doable.

Losing both puts them at 18-27, and 12 back.

These are huge games. Losing both would pretty much force the Sox to go on 34-14 run leading up to the break. And that's not very likely.

I think it's important to show Cleveland that we can compete. Unfortunately we have to face Masterson who owns us, on the other hand, we have fared well against Carmona. With the immense amount of division games left, these two still are pretty trivial in the grand scope, but it would be a nice mental boost to sweep the top team in the division.

I think we split. Lose to Masterson and beat Carmona.

Edited by maggsmaggs

The Sox need to be close to .500 by Memorial day. 5 games under is not close. There are 12 games before Memorial day, and the Sox are 7 games below. The Sox need to go ~ 8-4 or better over the next 12 games. 7-5 leaves them 5 games under .500 on Memorial day.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 18, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
If they lose both, they aren't done, but it's going to make it that much tougher to come back.

Winning both puts the Sox at 20-25, and 8 back, with 13 games left with the Indians. Very doable.

Losing both puts them at 18-27, and 12 back.

These are huge games. Losing both would pretty much force the Sox to go on 34-14 run leading up to the break. And that's not very likely.

How do you get those numbers? Why do we need to be 9 games up at the break? I'm just not buying it.

This is a big series though, a sweep by the Tribe would kill our momentum. A split is acceptable and a sweep by us would be great, but in no way does any outcome kill our chances, imo.

Still, lets just win!!!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 18, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
If the Sox lose both games, are they done? If the Sox win both games are they back in it? If the Sox win both games, should they still be looking into selling off?

How important is this series to the Sox, and what do you think will happen in it?

We need to start beating the teams in our division. The formula for winning the central. Play 500 against good teams, pick off the weaker sisters in the AL and the NL. Then beat up on teams in your division.

If we can beat the teams in our division we will have a hell of a time moving forward.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
How do you get those numbers? Why do we need to be 9 games up at the break? I'm just not buying it.

This is a big series though, a sweep by the Tribe would kill our momentum. A split is acceptable and a sweep by us would be great, but in no way does any outcome kill our chances, imo.

Still, lets just win!!!

34-14 might be a stretch, but giving the Indians two more wins right now would really force the Sox to go on a big run.

I've always said the Sox need to be 50-43 at the break, so I'll stick with that.

32-18 from here to the break.

Edited by flavum

Let me propose this - the importance of our supposedly key next two wins against CLE (were they to happen) would be seriously hampered by losing us our following two games.

And CLE winning theirs.

We're so far down we can't circle games quite yet. Doing so is only to keep us more interested or motivated.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
34-14 might be a stretch, but giving the Indians two more wins right now would really force the Sox to go on a big run.

I've always said the Sox need to be 50-43 at the break, so I'll stick with that.

32-18 from here to the break.

I am with Jason here...where on earth are you coming up with this crazy idea that we need to have an exact record to have a chance?

No one here, not even the Indians themselves, knows just how good they are. To have some belief that we need to be 7 games over .500 at the break versus 3 games over .500, or exactly at .500, is just very difficult for me to understand, and I have no clue how it can be justified.

The key at this point is to continue to win series'. Continue to play good baseball. Get the bats going. Get Gordon/Dunn/Quentin going. Worry about games back once we reach July or August at least.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
Taking two would be nice, but these games are not even close to make or break either way. The idea of must wins in May is ridiculous.

Do we have to fall behind 20 games for people to realize that EVERY game from this point on is crucial?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ May 18, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
Let me propose this - the importance of our supposedly key next two wins against CLE (were they to happen) would be seriously hampered by losing us our following two games.

And CLE winning theirs.

We're so far down we can't circle games quite yet. Doing so is only to keep us more interested or motivated.

I've read this like five times, and I still have no idea what you're saying.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)
I've read this like five times, and I still have no idea what you're saying.

I think he's trying to say that we could beat them both games and then lose our next 2 as they win their next 2 to make it a wash.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
Do we have to fall behind 20 games for people to realize that EVERY game from this point on is crucial?

No, but you're going to lose baseball games. This isn't the NFL or the NBA. We have 120 of these left. We're going to lose at least 9 of them (I kid).

Certainly you want to win every single game, but you cannot be on a ledge every day saying "if we don't win this one, we've got to blow it all up." There are just far too many different things that can happen over the course of the next 4.5 months to start calling out must wins.

The key is to keep improving and gradually climbing out of the hole we dug ourselves throughout April and early May. We're doing that. That's all you can ask for at this point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 18, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)
No, but you're going to lose baseball games. This isn't the NFL or the NBA. We have 120 of these left. We're going to lose at least 9 of them (I kid).

Certainly you want to win every single game, but you cannot be on a ledge every day saying "if we don't win this one, we've got to blow it all up." There are just far too many different things that can happen over the course of the next 4.5 months to start calling out must wins.

The key is to keep improving and gradually climbing out of the hole we dug ourselves throughout April and early May. We're doing that. That's all you can ask for at this point.

Once this team hit double digits in games back then they forced me to be on the ledge every game. There's really no margin for error. We're not going on some 1993 Braves second-half blitz. If we don't seriously cut into this deficit soon, the last 3 months or so will be moot.