5/22 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
Viciedo, 2 solo Hr.

Well at least we have 1 real prospect...

Seriously though, the kid is a f***in hitting machine. And if he continues to improve his plate discipline we might just have something special here.

KWJR-

I know he's Kenny's kid and everything, but how can they justify leading off this .190 hitter at AA? Give me a break.

If anything, shouldn't Kuhn be in that spot to get on base, steal some bags, stuff like that? Whatever.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 22, 2011 -> 04:55 PM)
KWJR-

I know he's Kenny's kid and everything, but how can they justify leading off this .190 hitter at AA? Give me a break.

If anything, shouldn't Kuhn be in that spot to get on base, steal some bags, stuff like that? Whatever.

That's what I've been saying all along. Jr. is the slowest runner on the team as well. It's fine if he plays, but he should be batting 8th or 9th. He'll be in Charlotte next year batting 3rd and hitting .150. Then he'll be the White Sox clean up hitter in 2013 batting .095. It's truly insane. Even in developmental baseball, you can't let nepotism have that much of an effect. No other minor league team in baseball trots out a .190 hitter in the leadoff spot everyday like this. It's a joke, plain and simple. I think as a Barons season ticket holder, I should get $100 back since I have to watch him play. I hope KW doesn't come down for a Barons game, because I'll give him a piece of my mind.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 22, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
That's what I've been saying all along. Jr. is the slowest runner on the team as well. It's fine if he plays, but he should be batting 8th or 9th. He'll be in Charlotte next year batting 3rd and hitting .150. Then he'll be the White Sox clean up hitter in 2013 batting .095. It's truly insane.

I have a sick urge to say that would be an upgrade over Dunn.

Start hitting Adam!

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
How long before Wes Whisler gets the ax? If he can't get guys out in A ball, then he surely can't handle AAA. A 28 year old pitcher in High A with a 67.00 ERA is not good.

Give him a break, he just came off the DL. Maybe he's still hurt. His assignment to the Dash was basically rehab anyway.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:05 PM)
Damn beat me by a few minutes.

Mitchell back in the lineup, already with 2 hits.

Good to see him back, not strikeout during the whole game, and have two hits and runs! Not bad buddy, keep it up.

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 22, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Give him a break, he just came off the DL. Maybe he's still hurt. His assignment to the Dash was basically rehab anyway.

I hope that's why he's struggling. Don't get me wrong, I like Wes, he's a good guy.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ May 22, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
That's what I've been saying all along. Jr. is the slowest runner on the team as well.

Is he really that slow, I was operating under the presumption that he was a "special athlete" as we've been told about him and that's why he was playing, hoping that everything would click for him at some point. If he really isn't anything special in the athlete column then it's time to kick him to the curb or at least bottom of the lineup.

On another note, why is Marrero still in AA, nothing left for him to prove there, maybe he could turn into a lefty off the bench for us if we have some injury issues later in the season, its time to see what he can do, watching him kill AA pitching does nothing for him or us in the long run.

Well at least we have 1 real prospect...

Seriously though, the kid is a f***in hitting machine. And if he continues to improve his plate discipline we might just have something special here.

Can anyone correct me if I am wrong? Charlotte is not exactly a hitter´s park and DV is getting it done. On the road as well. The splits agree although he is much better on the road.

Entire Season AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG OPS

Home Games .292 25 96 11 28 7 0 4 19 5 15 0 0 .320 .490 .810

Away Games .343 17 70 11 24 4 0 4 17 7 15 0 0 .410 .571 .982

Man if he develops a bit more discipline and learns to draw walks his OBP will be in the .390-.400 range.

:headbang :notworthy

Edited by SpainSOXfan09

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 22, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
Can anyone correct me if I am wrong? Charlotte is not exactly a hitter´s park and DV is getting it done. On the road as well. The splits agree although he is much better on the road.

Home Games .292 25 96 11 28 7 0 4 19 5 15 0 0 .320 .490 .810

Away Games .343 17 70 11 24 4 0 4 17 7 15 0 0 .410 .571 .982

Man if he develops a bit more discipline and learns to draw walks his OBP will be in the .390-.400 range.

:headbang :notworthy

Charlotte is a notorious hitter's park.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 22, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
OK, I had it reversed then. Birmingham´s stadium must be the difficult park to hit in. JPN is that correct?

Yep. 340 down the lines, 405 to center and about 375-380 to the gaps. Wind almost never blows out, mostly swirls.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ May 22, 2011 -> 10:36 PM)
Is he really that slow, I was operating under the presumption that he was a "special athlete" as we've been told about him and that's why he was playing, hoping that everything would click for him at some point. If he really isn't anything special in the athlete column then it's time to kick him to the curb or at least bottom of the lineup.

Yes, even stocky, 29 year old back up catcher Jared Price is faster. Josh Phegley is faster, 6'5" Seth Loman is faster. C.J. Retherford and his club foot are faster. KW Jr. is an athlete, yes, but just that, nothing special. He literally runs like he has a piano strapped to his back. Words cannot express how truly awful he is, and that's an honest assessment. I was willing to be proven wrong about him, but it's worse than I imagined. He literally has no business playing at the AA level. I don't think he would be in affiliated ball if he wasn't in this organization. I'd be hard pressed to envision a Frontier League team picking him up, let alone another affiliated team. He's vying right now for a spot in the top 5 worst players in Barons history along with Josh Shafer, Jason Dallaero, Robert Valido and Michael Jordan. Jordan at least hit .203, I still expect KW Jr. to hit .190 for the season. He has a very awkward stride, a very stiff upper body and he doesn't seem like he can stand up totally straight, like he has some kind of lower spinal curvature. Now the jokes...

1. If you told me he was a swimmer, I wouldn't be surprised. He's treading f***ing water.

2. If he's supposed to be a table setter, then why is the table covered in s**t?

Edited by JPN366

I know JPN might get a little more worked up about it that others... but I do have to agree that having KW Jr be drafted 5th when he wasn't even on some teams' boards, get starting gigs and promotions regularly, and leading off with a .190 Avg is just insulting to the other players in the system.

QUOTE (SpainSOXfan09 @ May 23, 2011 -> 12:49 AM)
Rowand, was it you or one of the other mods who said that DV has excellent bat speed?

Bat speed? I didn't see him holding a bat when he was in the big leagues, I just saw his arms and some sort of odd brownish blur.