6 man rotation

Lemon_44

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Is it fair to say Danks and Jackson are fairly close though? If so, I think you have to error on the side of Jackson for multiple reasons...

Going forward, they probably should produce similarly.

Damn it Phil Humber, why did you have to be so good? Did we ever think we'd have to make this kind of decision when the season started?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Is it fair to say Danks and Jackson are fairly close though? If so, I think you have to error on the side of Jackson for multiple reasons...

So do you mean to say trade Ejax or Danks then? Because Danks would return the most, and if the production isnt that far off the rest of the way...

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:06 PM)
Going forward, they probably should produce similarly.

Damn it Phil Humber, why did you have to be so good? Did we ever think we'd have to make this kind of decision when the season started?

I for sure didnt, I watched the guy pitch several times and he looked like a mechanical piece of garbage. The guy that has pitched for us the last several starts looks like a totally different person. He also added a slider which has been a big piece of the puzzle.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
So do you mean to say trade Ejax or Danks then? Because Danks would return the most, and if the production isnt that far off the rest of the way...

I am saying put Jackson in the pen or trade Danks. The return would be greater for Danks, so if you are going to move one, you move him. If you are going to stash one in the bullpen to buy time to see 1) whether Humber falters; 2) whether Peavy can stay healthy; or 3) whether we get back into this race and start pushing Cleveland, then I think it needs to be Jackson so that you preserve Danks' trade value and possibly his confidence.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:10 PM)
I am saying put Jackson in the pen or trade Danks. The return would be greater for Danks, so if you are going to move one, you move him. If you are going to stash one in the bullpen to buy time to see 1) whether Humber falters; 2) whether Peavy can stay healthy; or 3) whether we get back into this race and start pushing Cleveland, then I think it needs to be Jackson so that you preserve Danks' trade value and possibly his confidence.

Exactly what I was thinking :o

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 27, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
I for sure didnt, I watched the guy pitch several times and he looked like a mechanical piece of garbage. The guy that has pitched for us the last several starts looks like a totally different person. He also added a slider which has been a big piece of the puzzle.

I think it was last year we faced Humber when he was on KC, and he shoved it down our throats the first few innings with some pretty sick offspeed stuff. I never thought he'd be close to this good though, especially after getting hit hard in Spring Training. You said it yesterday....he had nothing, yet he still dominated.

So was this thread started just out of speculation or has some legit source come out of the wood work to speak of how we’ll change the only thing that has been consistent so far this season (the starting rotation)? Really don’t feel like reading six pages of could-be scenarios.

QUOTE (Yoda @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
So was this thread started just out of speculation or has some legit source come out of the wood work to speak of how we’ll change the only thing that has been consistent so far this season (the starting rotation)? Really don’t feel like reading six pages of could-be scenarios.

There's a quote from Ozzie in the 8th post.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
There's a quote from Ozzie in the 8th post.

Wow, OK thanks!

I definitely agree with the majority that speaks against Ozzie. Humber has been remarkable and deserves to be in the starting rotation. So much so that if we were down to either Humber or Danks going to the bullpen I would move Danks simply because John can’t buy a freakin’ win this season.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 27, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
Then don't punish him until he proves unsustainable. Ride this out until he reverts back to bad, IF he reverts back.

SS2K's right, Humber's gotten a bit lucky so far. His BABIP is only .210, part of the reason is that he's not allowing many line drives, but a .210 BABIP isn't sustainable. I think Humber could end up finishing the year with a ERA in the high 3s, a figure that is supported by his curent FIP and tERA.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ May 27, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
At the end of the game last night, I noticed a graphic on the right field wall in Toronto that showed Edwin's picture and said he was warming in the pen? Did anyone else notice that? Maybe that is a precursor of what is to come?

Yea I kept seeing that, but Ejax wasn't in the bullpen warming up, only Santos was.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 27, 2011 -> 02:22 PM)
SS2K's right, Humber's gotten a bit lucky so far. His BABIP is only .210, part of the reason is that he's not allowing many line drives, but a .210 BABIP isn't sustainable. I think Humber could end up finishing the year with a ERA in the high 3s, a figure that is supported by his curent FIP and tERA.

His 3's which is probably going to be better than at least 2 other members of the rotation.

At the end of the game last night, I noticed a graphic on the right field wall in Toronto that showed Edwin's picture and said he was warming in the pen? Did anyone else notice that? Maybe that is a precursor of what is to come?

It was Jackson's day to side session that's why he was up.

I do predict that Jackson will be the odd man out -as he should be. Put that electric stuff in the pen where he can feature that 100 mph gas.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ May 27, 2011 -> 05:27 PM)
It was Jackson's day to side session that's why he was up.

I do predict that Jackson will be the odd man out -as he should be. Put that electric stuff in the pen where he can feature that 100 mph gas.

Yeah me too. It's not that I think Edwin is our worst starter, it's that I think he will be a very effective weapon out of the pen. Throwing 100 mph with that sick movement. He should tear through some hitters for us, and be able to go 2+ IP if needed.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 27, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
Yeah me too. It's not that I think Edwin is our worst starter, it's that I think he will be a very effective weapon out of the pen. Throwing 100 mph with that sick movement. He should tear through some hitters for us, and be able to go 2+ IP if needed.

I worry about his control issues coming out of the bullpen.

I saw it, too, and I questioned it briefly. Maybe it is a sign of things to come. I half expected to see James Earl Jones sitting next to me, and I could turn to him and say, "Did you see that?"

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 27, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)

He would be a weapon.

Has anyone mentioned John Danks for the pen? He's 0-7, overall the team has won only one game he started, and he has the worst ERA of our 6 starters at 4.34.

If you are going to have a debate about who should move to the pen, Danks' name has to be discussed.

Indeed, maybe the best way to hit "reset" on Danks' season would be to send him to the pen until the All Star Break (or until someone else falters or he starts pitching lights out from the pen), and then re-evaluate. Shouldn't the Sox consider what's best for the team? From all indications, John Danks has no intention of accepting a contract extension from the Sox.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...own-in-pen.html

Kill me now. Yeah, let's put our best starter in the pen that will help this club win more games. So so so stupid. I don't care he isn't yet established, but moving him while he is going strong is just dumb. If he goes out and gets bombed the next two starts, that would be more acceptable, but for Ozzie to talk about this s*** now just shows what a moron he is.

Is it possible for our idiot manager to just say nothing and say we'll cross that bridge when we get to it? And on a sidenote, how many more starts did Juan Pierre buy himself with a lucky ass game-winning single?

BTW, Ozzie's quote was NOT a direct reference to Humber, but you guys seem to love to freak out, so have at it.

QUOTE (VAfan @ May 27, 2011 -> 04:52 PM)
Has anyone mentioned John Danks for the pen? He's 0-7, overall the team has won only one game he started, and he has the worst ERA of our 6 starters at 4.34.

If you are going to have a debate about who should move to the pen, Danks' name has to be discussed.

Indeed, maybe the best way to hit "reset" on Danks' season would be to send him to the pen until the All Star Break (or until someone else falters or he starts pitching lights out from the pen), and then re-evaluate. Shouldn't the Sox consider what's best for the team? From all indications, John Danks has no intention of accepting a contract extension from the Sox.

Trade Danks then we can gape as his career blossoms.

QUOTE (iamshack @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
Your argument is that since he cannot possibly be THIS good, he should be put in the bullpen. Do you realize how ridiculous of a position that is? Even if he does regress a bit, he would still be outperforming our entire starting rotation...why the f*** would you put him into the pen?

I understand that I'm seen as the polar opposite, but some people will defend every single thing the organization does as being the very best decision possible.

I am only half sarcastic when I say that Ozzie could piss directly in some people's faces and they'd defend it.