Sox Draft OF Keenyn Walker with #47

Eminor3rd

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...urth-round.html

Kyle McMillen Drafted in Fourth Round

Dan Santaromita on 06.07.11 at 1:10 PM | no comments |

The White Sox continued the run on right-handed college pitching with the selection of Kent State's Kyle McMillen at 141. McMillen wasn't the top pitching prospect on Kent State's staff (that honor goes to Andrew Chafin, who went 43rd to Arizon), but he is a well-rated arm for a fourth round selection.

McMillen comes in at 94 on Baseball America's draft rankings, the second highest among the South Siders' early picks and only two slots behind first pick Keenyn Walker. BA says he has low 90s velocity with an improving slider and could have gone in the first three rounds.

Kyle McMillen

The 6-2, 200 pound right-hander was Kent State's closer this year on a top 25 team. In 28 relief appearances McMillen totaled 18 saves with a 1.80 ERA. He struck out 31 with 12 walks and 18 hits (1 HR) in 30 innings.

McMillen pitched in the Cape Cod League this summer, catching scouts' attention there despite poor results. He pitched for Cotuit and posted a 5.87 ERA in 15.1 innings. He struck out 10, walked 13 and allowed 21 hits.

His first two years at Kent State, he was a two-way player, even hitting .354 as a sophomore. As a pitcher, he struggled with control before this year. He focused on pitching as a junior and it showed in the results.

The Sox third round pick, Jeff Soptic, also profiles as a reliever. This can be viewed as taking lower upside picks, but both pitchers have good velocity and are well-rated by scouts.

Read more: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/future-sox...l#ixzz1OcFBpHlv

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Walker wants to sign but staying consistent as a hometown kid committed to Utah."I definitely want to sign and start my career in pro ball .

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

... but another year in school won’t hurt. It’s really whatever to me, but I definitely want to sign." More to come on whitesox.com

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 03:22 PM)
scottmerkin Scott Merkin

Walker wants to sign but staying consistent as a hometown kid committed to Utah."I definitely want to sign and start my career in pro ball .

scottmerkin Scott Merkin

... but another year in school won’t hurt. It’s really whatever to me, but I definitely want to sign." More to come on whitesox.com

Sounds like he wants to sign but his coach/agent/parents don't

From Sickles:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/6/7/22...sis-and-opinion

1-47) White Sox: Keenyn Walker, OF, Central Arizona JC: Blazing speed and greatly improved hitting skills, along with a solid glove, push him to the top of the White Sox draft list. I like Walker a LOT and he was on my list of players who could go earlier than expected. He's got some risk, but the reward could be huge.

This makes me feel A LOT BETTER about picking him. Welcome to the org Keenyn!!! :cheers

Yahoo Sports on Walker

The Pick: Keenyn Walker, OF.

The Buzz: If there was a more ho-hum day for any prospect, it was Walker, who has been drafted each of the last three years now. His stock has improved each time from the mid-30s, to mid-teens, and now into the sandwich picks. The Sox like his potential to be a top of the order hitter, but he has been slow to develop his batter's eye. The ceiling is fairly low for this pick and does not excite very much.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Yahoo Sports on Walker

The Buzz: If there was a more ho-hum day for any prospect, it was Walker, who has been drafted each of the last three years now. His stock has improved each time from the mid-30s, to mid-teens, and now into the sandwich picks. The Sox like his potential to be a top of the order hitter, but he has been slow to develop his batter's eye. The ceiling is fairly low for this pick and does not excite very much.

lol. I really don't care if he signs.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Yahoo Sports on Walker

Actually it went from mid-teens to 30's and now to supplemental.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 04:54 AM)
Was anybody fired the last 2 times he was drafted?

Probably not, but he also wasn't the team's first pick. You cannot pick a player in the spot we were in without knowing you can lock him up fairly easily. With this draft by the Sox being extremely underwhelming, that would really be frustrating for everyone.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Pretty much. We're not talking about some premium talent here. But I'm certainly not going to be checking every day to see if he's signed yet. Bust of a pick and a horrible draft overall.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 22, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
If a crazy, suicidal f*** jumps off the top of the Sears Tower (I will never refer to it as the Willis Tower), I don't have to wait until he/she hits the ground to no that fool is dead. s***ty analogy. But same difference. I know you're an optimist. I have no problem with that. It's a natural tendency to think the team that you cheer for and love can do something with a player(s) that nobody else could. But those that are not drinking the kool-aid just because said player happens to be a White Sox shouldn't be looked upon as evil demons that just like to be negative for the sake of being negative. I've said this many times before. If the Cubs were set to insert Humber into their rotation EVERY single poster on this board, and that includes you SS2K5 and JoeCool, would be laughing their asses off. This is undeniable fact. Now if somehow, someway, Humber pulls a horseshoe out his ass and is even serviceable, great. It won't make me feel stupid for not expecting a thing from him this year. He's done nothing in his career, outside of being a high draft pick sever years ago, that warrants any type of faith.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:01 PM)
It never a priority in this organization.

Yeah it is, Morel was fast tracked to the bigs because of his defense. They understand that half of the game is catching the ball, and finding and developing someone who can do it really well would be a great thing.

Also, perhaps I am thinking in correctly, but I didn't think you got a draft pick the following year if it was a supplemental pick. If that is the case, then they better sign him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)
Yeah it is, Morel was fast tracked to the bigs because of his defense. They understand that half of the game is catching the ball, and finding and developing someone who can do it really well would be a great thing.

It's obviously not. Two years in a row they had to replace the opening day 3rd basemen. If it wasn't for Morel, they would still be working on Viciedo playing 3rd. Being weak in defense and fundamentals are a trademark of the Kenny Williams regime.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Probably not, but he also wasn't the team's first pick. You cannot pick a player in the spot we were in without knowing you can lock him up fairly easily. With this draft by the Sox being extremely underwhelming, that would really be frustrating for everyone.

I thought he was taken higher the past 2 times?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 11:12 PM)

Also, perhaps I am thinking in correctly, but I didn't think you got a draft pick the following year if it was a supplemental pick. If that is the case, then they better sign him.

Morel was fast-tracked because there was literally no one around that could play anything close to an acceptable third base except Omar Vizquel and Gordon Beckham. If Gordon moved, they'd have th same problem with second.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2011 -> 03:42 AM)
Heads bookmarked that post so if by chance Humber rose from the abyss of worthless baseball pitcher he could throw it back at me.

Can Humber's nickname concern some type of demon now? Or a phoenix?

Joe, get on this s***.