Despicable

Jordan4life_2007

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 01:54 PM)
The A's had lost 10 in a row. He needed one out.

My god. The A's "feeding on the blood in the water?" The A's, who are on the road losers of 10 in a row?

Sergio f***ed up. It happens.

But like somebody said. If the sox brought in one of those other rag arms and the inevitable fail happened, you would crucify Ozzie the same.

Second guessing leaving in a closer IMO is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Truthfully I can't believe some A's player didn't hit a bullet at third or line smash right at an outfielder and we get lucky and still win the game.

It really is difficult to blow a game like that. The odds are astronomical you blow a 2 run lead with 2 out and nobody on.

But look at the Rays breaking through when they were 0-6 and beating us for the first time this season. We've managed to bring the A's back to life twice this season already, singlehandedly.

Keep in mind, they have a new manager. Remember how many times it has been debated whether that will make ANY difference....and yet many would acknowledge that a majority of teams have at least a momentary "blip" upwards when they change leadership as the entire team looks forward to re-starting at 0-0 and making a "new" impression.

At this point in the season, we've blown three games already in absolutely horrific fashion against Oakland.

Turn that 4-4 to 7-1 and we're only 2 games back.

Of course, you can say anything hypothetically...like...if we didn't sign Phil Humber, we'd be 8-10 games under .500, etc.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Take away the game where we blew Soria apart, for example.

We had a big comeback win against Brandon League, too.

Although I guess you don't feel like going 5-2 against Seattle is a stretch...still, we faced Felix Hernandez in 2 of those games.

Right now, if we had just played decently against DET head-to-head and blown only one game against OAK instead of 3 blown saves against the same team in 2+ months, we'd be okay.

We still MIGHT be "okay," just depends on how we respond during interleague. Losing those Saturday (especially) and Sunday games from last weekend (at home) feels about as bad as last night's disaster.

Several of you are saying what if Ozzie goes to Harrell or Ohman and they blow it, then we'd be crucifying Ozzie. Not so sure. Personally, I'd still be more upset that Santos faced 5 or 6 guys and couldn't get one out than to be mad about ANYONE who came in faced one batter and didn't get him out. And, why not a single word about what if Harrell or Ohman came in and got the job done. Then what? Oh, that Ozzie....he's a genius.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Several of you are saying what if Ozzie goes to Harrell or Ohman and they blow it, then we'd be crucifying Ozzie. Not so sure. Personally, I'd still be more upset that Santos faced 5 or 6 guys and couldn't get one out than to be mad about ANYONE who came in faced one batter and didn't get him out. And, why not a single word about what if Harrell or Ohman came in and got the job done. Then what? Oh, that Ozzie....he's a genius.

Can anyone here think of an example in recent years when a manager has removed his closer in a tie game or actually STILL leading for one of the LAST two guys in his bullpen?

Maybe it has happened in the NL a time or two...but in the AL?

Ohman had just come in the other day to give up yet another run in the 9th in a mop-up role. Harrell? Just can't see any manager whose closer had an 11/12 save conversion ratio doing that. Even Mariano Rivera is "only" 16/19.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
It took five pages or so but someone finally says it. Thank you.

It's just frustration.

Nobody can understand with a six deep starting rotation, $128 million dollar roster, Dunn's addition, Crain....why we're not at least over .500 or running away with the division.

We can't blame the Twins this time. All of our damage, seemingly, has been of the, as Hawk likes to say, "self-inflicted" variety.

It's baffling to tons of scouts and baseball insiders. They still can't fully comprehend what has happened with Rios, Dunn, Peavy and Beckham, either.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
It's just frustration.

Nobody can understand with a six deep starting rotation, $128 million dollar roster, Dunn's addition, Crain....why we're not at least over .500 or running away with the division.

We can't blame the Twins this time. All of our damage, seemingly, has been of the, as Hawk likes to say, "self-inflicted" variety.

It's baffling to tons of scouts and baseball insiders. They still can't full comprehend what has happened with Rios, Dunn, Peavy and Beckham, either.

:notworthy Good sensible post!

We'll get through this.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
There are some HUGE ramifications to clubhouse and Santos' morale when you go out there and pull him before he blows it because he doesn't look right. He's earned the right to be the official closer, which means when he goes out there it's his game to lose. He hasn't squandered enough games to have that quick of a hook. Players would lose faith in their manager if he just gives up on guys that have been doing so well, we'd have another Brian Fuentes/Huston Street debacle. Santos knows his role, knows even if his first X amount of batters are horribly pitched he is in there until the game is won or lost. That's how it should be until further notice.

I think you are pretty much right on with your comments. Looking into the future, which is elusive for sure, you don't do much for your new closer by pulling him as soon as things get rough. Santos has come thjrough some tight spots before so unless you have a magic ball there is no way to predict what might happen with the next batter. 2 out and 2 strikes on a fellow and then implode is not something you might be expecting

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Indians lost today again, it makes even more frustrating

Sure, but let's win this one today versus the A's and we will be 4 games out. Games like his wil happen. Builds character they say

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:15 PM)
Maybe it's time to become a fan of another team then

For true Sox fans, that's impossible. It's in the blood, especially if you grew up on the Southside.

I don't know why people can't understand the frustration this particular season. And it's finally showing up apparently in attendance figures.

I know all teams struggle at times and many teams (KC) are way worse than the Sox, but this team is actually pretty good on paper. Its mindboggling bad start (coupled with last year's bad start and the way the team started the second half last year), ways to blow games and inability to beat Central Division teams, to me at least, has really irritated me more than usual this season.

We probably should just shut up, but it's hard to not vent on here ad nauseum. Just as some people even after the worst possible defeat, express blind optimism.

The way we can leave the dark side, is if we join the masses that figure we are in a pathetic division, and ultimately, no matter how bad the Sox play, they will play well enough to win this pathetic division and at that point could get hot in the playoffs. Dunn, Rios and even Peavy at that point would be starting from scratch with a chance to carry the team to another WS title.

That a couple good stretches will guarantee that. That is truly possible, but for those of us darksiders, it's hard to embrace that right now for some reason.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
It's just frustration.

It's baffling to tons of scouts and baseball insiders. They still can't fully comprehend what has happened with Rios, Dunn, Peavy and Beckham, either.

It's frustration that happens with every single loss. Gain a sense of f***ing perspective.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
It's frustration that happens with every single loss. Gain a sense of f***ing perspective.

Here we go again.

I've listened or watched pretty much every White Sox game since the mid 1980's.

The problem is that I have TOO MUCH PAST White Sox perspective that it colors my perception today.

I'll just have to learn to be content with 77-85 win teams for the next decade and 2nd/3rd place usually, I suppose. That's far better than the Sox averaged in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

YAY! GO SOX! We're neither very good nor bad enough to ever become great, either.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 07:34 PM)
Here we go again.

I've listened or watched pretty much every White Sox game since the mid 1980's.

The problem is that I have TOO MUCH PAST White Sox perspective that it colors my perception today.

I'll just have to learn to be content with 77-85 win teams for the next decade and 2nd/3rd place usually, I suppose. That's far better than the Sox averaged in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

YAY! GO SOX! We're neither very good nor bad enough to ever become great, either.

Except for the great years, you're completely right, never good enough to become great except for the great years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)
Except for the great years, you're completely right, never good enough to become great except for the great years.

So we can count stretches of 1977, 1983, 1990, 93/94, 2000 and 2005.

Or do you think the 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2010 teams would also fall into that "great" category?

The basic premise of that comment is we've never had enough Top 5-10 picks in the first round of the draft to really find any superstar players since the Ventura/Thomas/McDowell/Alex Fernandez selections over 2 decades ago.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 08:11 PM)
So we can count stretches of 1977, 1983, 1990, 93/94, 2000 and 2005.

Or do you think the 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2010 teams would also fall into that "great" category?

The basic premise of that comment is we've never had enough Top 5-10 picks in the first round of the draft to really find any superstar players since the Ventura/Thomas/McDowell/Alex Fernandez selections over 2 decades ago.

There's been a rough year or two, but I think the stretch from 1992 on has been a great stretch to be a White Sox fan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)

Cmon. This season has been way more frustrating than any in the last many years, you have to admit.

Two steps forward and one back for the good teams. One forward and two back for the not so good teams. Just how baseball is, with the few exceptions of 100 win teams.

C'mon a month ago we would have been excited to know we would be 4.5 games back by June 12th. The quit on this site was sickening. It's a long season and it will be the Sox, Minnesota, and Detroit just like we thought all along.

How about an outfield of Quentin in left, Lillibridge in center, and Viciedo in right? With Lillibridge leading off. Not any worse defensively and better offensively.