Lesbian couple scolded at Target Field

Real

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Securit...ins-game-061611

A security guard working for the Minnesota Twins has been reprimanded for chastising a lesbian couple for sharing a brief kiss at Target Field, Minneapolis' City Pages reported Thursday.

The guard, whose identity has not been released, reportedly scolded Taylor Campione and Kelsi Culpepper after witnessing the couple enjoy a quick peck on the lips inside the ballpark on May 27.

Campione told the alternative weekly newspaper the guard, whom she described as middle-aged with a mustache, immediately approached her shaking his head.

"I saw you kissing that girl, you can't do that," the guard said.

When Campione responded by saying she could kiss whoever she wanted to, the guard allegedly replied, "Well, we don't play grab ass here."

Campione reportedly shared the exchange with Culpepper, who then confronted the guard. "I don't understand what's wrong with kissing my girlfriend," Culpepper told him.

According to the report, a brief argument ensued before the guard repeated his comment about not "playing grab ass."

"Then he said, 'Well here in the stadium, we adhere to the Ten Commandments,'" recalled Culpepper. "After that, I decided I was no longer going to speak with him, and I asked for his manager."

Twins spokesman Kevin Smith said the guard, who has worked for the organization for nearly a decade, has been reprimanded for his actions, but continues to work at the stadium.

"That behavior just is unacceptable," Smith told City Pages. "That security guard has received both a verbal and written reprimand that will be put in his personnel file, and he understands that that is not an acceptable behavior."

Campione and Culpepper said they intend to file a complaint with the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, accusing the guard of discriminating against them for their sexual orientation.

Unf***ingbelievable. Btw, I've listened to Twins radio broadcasts and 30% of their commercials are Jesus Christ related. It's unreal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 04:26 AM)
That's s***ty. Minny has a rep as a gay-friendly city.

Yeah that really is strange to happen about a month after being ranked like, #1 gay-friendly city. (Or maybe it was by population).

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
They are OK looking per their facebook profile, how is this guy not fired? It's pretty much equal to a racist comment and we know he would've been fired for that

Only 20 states and DC actually outlaw discriminating against homosexuals. Minnesota is one of those 20 states, but that should tell you about how homosexual rights sit in this country.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Jun 16, 2011 -> 10:26 PM)
That's s***ty. Minny has a rep as a gay-friendly city.

Yeah, it's very gay friendly. I distinctly remember large billboard ads downtown a couple weeks ago that were clearly targeted at gays. Not something you'd see in most cities, unfortunately.

I used to despise gay people when I was younger. That's what I was taught. But gay/lesbian people are some of the coolest folks I've ever met. Their perspective on certain things is rather refreshing. And I think it takes a lot of courage to be who you truly are when you know you're going to get scolded by, well, everybody. I hope this clown gets fired.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
But gay/lesbian people are some of the coolest folks I've ever met.

People are people. There's cool straight folks, there's cool gay folks. There's cool white folks, there's cool black folks. We can go on and on, but I think y'all get the picture. The sooner everyone realizes this, the better.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I haven't seen much gay bashing in my life. I'm from a very close-knit neighborhood and the vast majority of people here are, what I'd consider, close-minded. For some reason though, not too many people seem to have a problem with people being gay.

Want to borrow my room for a week and just hang out around here?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jun 18, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
Bad in Tennessee? I guess that's not surprising.

My current state representative (from a college town nonetheless) is the guy who introduced a bill that would make it illegal for teachers under the 8th grade to mention homosexuality under any circumstances (even if, for example, a kid in the class had homosexual parents).