Sox "trying to get a return on investment"

Real

Rongey is cracking me up.

"You know that guy, the 40 Year Old Virgin...who can't talk to women with any success? Well, you can't or don't tell him to stop talking to women. He has to figure it out himself. He just can't sit on the bench and give up trying."

Our justification for NOT benching Adam Dunn or Pierre but benching Beckham.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now he really outdid himself in the post-game.

"You never pinch hit for Adam Dunn."

C'mon, if he's so mentally weak that he can't recover from the humiliation of Lillibridge, Beckham or Castro hitting for him until he gets his act together...you'd have to think that even he would agree it's better for the team for someone else to take a shot.

They obviously aren't going to bench him for Viciedo, but Ozzie in the next couple of weeks has to be open to other options in those situations.

Nick Swisher contributed a lot more in 2008 than Dunn has so far and Ozzie was willing to pull the plug on him for Wise. Dunn has a much bigger contract, but they basically allowed Swisher's value to go to zero...just a salary dump.

I cannot listen too him for 5 seconds he is a ass kissing SOB. He is a joke and people everywhere laugh at his dumbass comments that are NEVER ever any fault of the White Sox Brass. ;)

Edited by Soxfest

Usually he's fine.

But last night, they were having some kind of technical difficulties or there was someone in the studio making fun of one of the callers.

It's one thing to take a "company line" but quite another to belittle Sox fans.

Today, the argument was that many others in baseball didn't see Lillibridge as an everyday day option. That's fine. But this whole idea....well, we don't know how Viciedo will hit, even though he hit the last two years in the minors, he did VERY well in the beginning at the major league level and still finished with solid numbers, he raked in ST and then he's been among the best minor league hitters for 2 months straight. Sure, he could fail, yeah. That's true.

But there's less of a chance that he fails than the chance the Juan Pierre becomes the type of player offensively and defensively he was for the last 4 months of 2010.

We're only talking $2.5-2.75 million. Less than Linebrink, less than Teahen, less than Manny for one month.

Which brings up the next argument. We don't have a replacement. Look at all the struggles with Cabrera, Wise, Owens, Swisher, Erstad, Pods, etc. It's hard to find a replacement "spark" at the top.

Well, just give Alexei Ramirez a chance. It's usually a good thing when a Silver Slugger is maximizing his at-bats while the worst WAR player in the AL is replaced from that same line-up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:44 AM)

C'mon, if he's so mentally weak that he can't recover from the humiliation of Lillibridge, Beckham or Castro hitting for him until he gets his act together...you'd have to think that even he would agree it's better for the team for someone else to take a shot.

They obviously aren't going to bench him for Viciedo, but Ozzie in the next couple of weeks has to be open to other options in those situations.

Nick Swisher contributed a lot more in 2008 than Dunn has so far and Ozzie was willing to pull the plug on him for Wise. Dunn has a much bigger contract, but they basically allowed Swisher's value to go to zero...just a salary dump.

No but other teams aren't shy about pitching around Brent Lillibridge to get to him...

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 05:52 AM)
I cannot listen too him for 5 seconds he is a ass kissing SOB. He is a joke and people everywhere laugh at his dumbass comments that are NEVER ever any fault of the White Sox Brass. ;)

You guys are brutal.

Rongey visits this site and you bury him. Shame.

I listened to the rain delay show and his interview with Mark Gonzales was awesome!

They discussed the Pierre issue and Rongey sounded LOGICAL and not a homer. You people slay me. Rongey is a professional!

You obviously didn't hear the nonsense for 45 minutes with Barry Rosner.

Seriously, 20-25 minutes were spent debating the "manliness" of wearing Buzz Lightyear children's sunglasses.

At least I'll give Rongey credit for admitting that they really were "filling dead airtime" and not entertaining anyone at that point.

And then Rosner at least five times intimited he had some semi-secret solution to the nation's energy crisis. It was inane. Surely there was SOMEONE better to talk to for a full 45 minutes at a Cubs/Sox game.

As far as "scaring him away" by saying anything or something critical...I'd like to think it would make him better at his job to hear both positive and negative feedback. Now it's not like he can come to my classes in China and provide me feedback, lol. By its nature, he has a very public job, it goes with the territory. If nobody notices you at all, that's when you really know you're in trouble working in a media. job.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:04 AM)
Usually he's fine.

But last night, they were having some kind of technical difficulties or there was someone in the studio making fun of one of the callers.

It's one thing to take a "company line" but quite another to belittle Sox fans.

Today, the argument was that many others in baseball didn't see Lillibridge as an everyday day option. That's fine. But this whole idea....well, we don't know how Viciedo will hit, even though he hit the last two years in the minors, he did VERY well in the beginning at the major league level and still finished with solid numbers, he raked in ST and then he's been among the best minor league hitters for 2 months straight. Sure, he could fail, yeah. That's true.

But there's less of a chance that he fails than the chance the Juan Pierre becomes the type of player offensively and defensively he was for the last 4 months of 2010.

We're only talking $2.5-2.75 million. Less than Linebrink, less than Teahen, less than Manny for one month.

Which brings up the next argument. We don't have a replacement. Look at all the struggles with Cabrera, Wise, Owens, Swisher, Erstad, Pods, etc. It's hard to find a replacement "spark" at the top.

Well, just give Alexei Ramirez a chance. It's usually a good thing when a Silver Slugger is maximizing his at-bats while the worst WAR player in the AL is replaced from that same line-up.

I'm sure it was on purpose. That is the Scores whole schtick. That is the primary reason I can hardly listen to that channel. In general it is just bad radio.

I cannot honestly believe the White Sox are seriously overlooking the fact that whatever is left on Pierre's contract is a SUNK COST. By definition a sunk cost is an expense to which you dont consider the investment, only the results. You have to pay Pierre anyway, if you have a replacement level player who makes the team better by playing in place of Pierre then you do it. I think the real problem is the White Sox dont think they have a replacement. This whole return on investment is ridicoulous, they dont owe Pierre squat compared to say Rios or Dunn. Pierre makes what $9M this year, of which the Dodgers are paying like $4.5 or so, leaving the sox with $5.5M, and only about half of that since the season is half over. So I really doubt the White Sox are dragging their feet over 2.75M. Especially since this is the same team that paid Manny $4M for 120 AB of garbage last year and it wouldnt cost anything to replace Pierre's $2.75M because you would only throw Lilly or Dayan out there. This cant be about money, it doesnt make sense. Pierre has been terrible, most likely the organization either feels like they have no real permanenet replacement (not a bad argument), or they are just showing patience with Pierre hoping he gets it together (to which if he doesnt they can still get rid of him in 3-4 weeks via DFA). Rongey is crazy if he thinks or interpreted the White Sox as worried about return on investment on Pierre and his measly salary!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
Do you have to pay a player the rest of his contract up front if he is released, or do you still pay them on the normal paydays?

Without knowing the rules, I would still say he would paid every two weeks like the rest of the team.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
Without knowing the rules, I would still say he would paid every two weeks like the rest of the team.

It could very well make a big difference. Footing half a season of salary up front is very different than paying it out normally.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 09:47 AM)
It could very well make a big difference. Footing half a season of salary up front is very different than paying it out normally.

Even if it winds up being less than 1% of their payroll?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)

When the Cubs traded Sammy Sosa in 2003 it was a large enough instant hit that it actually appeared in the Tribune company's financial statements and affected that quarter's bottom line.

I think if you cut a guy, you pay out the entire thing right there, unless you can get that player to somehow agree to a payout schedule...which he doesn't have to do unless he really wants out.

I may not love Rongey's point of view on this, but he always structures his comments in a well-thought out way and engages in debate even when faced with the wall of idiot-onslaught in the postgame. I'm hoping there's nothing in this thread that would cause him to stop coming here. Lets disagree but not target specific people.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I may not love Rongey's point of view on this, but he always structures his comments in a well-thought out way and engages in debate even when faced with the wall of idiot-onslaught in the postgame. I'm hoping there's nothing in this thread that would cause him to stop coming here. Lets disagree but not target specific people.

I haven't seen any personal attacks on Rongey, so really the only thing that would deter him is if he really believes he can't defend his comments.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
I haven't seen any personal attacks on Rongey, so really the only thing that would deter him is if he really believes he can't defend his comments.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 12:52 AM)

Soxtalk Ranger and Score Ranger have a lot of similarities. I am not going to go so far as leveling a personal attack. However, he does have a tendency to very politely and eloquently let you know you are an ignorant dumbass. He won't come right out and call you a drillrod like Dave Wills would, but the participant in the discussion will feel no better at the end of it. This site is no better or worse off with/without Ranger's celebrity "inside" opinion. So, please let's not get alarmed at the prospect of him going away.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 04:44 AM)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 07:07 AM)
You obviously didn't hear the nonsense for 45 minutes with Barry Rosner.

Seriously, 20-25 minutes were spent debating the "manliness" of wearing Buzz Lightyear children's sunglasses.

At least I'll give Rongey credit for admitting that they really were "filling dead airtime" and not entertaining anyone at that point.

And then Rosner at least five times intimited he had some semi-secret solution to the nation's energy crisis. It was inane. Surely there was SOMEONE better to talk to for a full 45 minutes at a Cubs/Sox game.

As far as "scaring him away" by saying anything or something critical...I'd like to think it would make him better at his job to hear both positive and negative feedback. Now it's not like he can come to my classes in China and provide me feedback, lol. By its nature, he has a very public job, it goes with the territory. If nobody notices you at all, that's when you really know you're in trouble working in a media. job.

As far as Rosner, who cares? Like you said, they were goofing around and filling airtime. I heard it. I thought it was OK.

And as far as the Dunn argument, uh, he's right. You don't pinch hit for Dunn ever.

It's his opinion and it happens to be right.

His Pierre discussion with Gonzales was great. He brought up all the Sox talk points and they both threw out the pros and cons.

The bottom line is he's a good host and just because he doesn't agree with you guys on Pierre doesn't mean s***.

I really truly don't think Rongey cares what you all think of him. He shouldn't. Fans are fanatics and lunatics and hear what they want to hear.

Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Pierre's been hitting about .260 and a lot of guys on the team suck balls worse than Pierre.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 22, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
As far as Rosner, who cares? Like you said, they were goofing around and filling airtime. I heard it. I thought it was OK.

And as far as the Dunn argument, uh, he's right. You don't pinch hit for Dunn ever.

It's his opinion and it happens to be right.

His Pierre discussion with Gonzales was great. He brought up all the Sox talk points and they both threw out the pros and cons.

The bottom line is he's a good host and just because he doesn't agree with you guys on Pierre doesn't mean s***.

I really truly don't think Rongey cares what you all think of him. He shouldn't. Fans are fanatics and lunatics and hear what they want to hear.

Whether you guys want to believe it or not, Pierre's been hitting about .260 and a lot of guys on the team suck balls worse than Pierre.

When Adam Dunn is batting .021 against lefties and a lefty comes into the ball game at a crucial time, you can most definitely pinch hit for him.