Kenny Hollywood Say Something

Marty34

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I would be stunned if Ozzie was fired. But fully supportive. Would it make sense to fire Ozzie and than turn the reigns over to Cora? Or if you fire Ozzie do you bring in an outside replacement, who isn't so connected to Ozzie, as the mgr.

I've always thought that if the replacement was Cora, you might as well leave Ozzie in place. What doesn't make sense to me about Gammons comment is if they are going to fire him in 2 days, why not pull the plug now? These are huge games.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
I've always thought that if the replacement was Cora, you might as well leave Ozzie in place.

I agree with you. I think if you are going to get rid of Ozzie, you have to go outside of the current staff for his replacement. Feel the opposite with Kenny, because Hahn is much different.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:38 AM)
I agree with you. I think if you are going to get rid of Ozzie, you have to go outside of the current staff for his replacement. Feel the opposite with Kenny, because Hahn is much different.

I do know Gammons said a couple of months ago the Sox had some interest in Ken Macha. I don't know if that was as a possible manager or minor league guy or what. I think ultimately, even the people like me who think Ozzie's time is up are going to be dissappointed with the replacement.

Edited by Dick Allen

Hard to see them going outside the organization for a replacement at mid-season because they'd likely have to give a multi-year deal and they might be rebuilding this offseason. The rebuild would call for an entirely different manager.

There always seems to be a few posts about effort. Rios doesn't try hard enough. Dunn's lazy. They aren't playing with urgency. etc... "Playing with urgency" in baseball really doesn't hold water. Being tense makes you press. When you press, you're a little slow. You're too wound up to get around on a ball. If anything, especially Dunn and Beckham, these guys are pressing too hard. They're frustrated. Both of those guys are so wound up I wonder how they manage to take a s***. It's not about effort. Beckham can't recognize a pitch to save his life. Dunn's out guessing himself in every AB. Those guys need to relax, go back to basics and just hit. Rios is another story. He looks defeated. I actually feel bad for him because he has zero confidence. He looks like he floats at times, but that's the nature of his game. He's smooth. I don't buy that he doesn't care or isn't giving effort.

I don't have the solution. I don't know enough about baseball. I do know this is a pretty talented team though. Maybe we'll get lucky and the break will make them relax. I don't know.

I wonder if they wouldn't turn the reigns over to Buddy Bell as an interim manager. And no, I'm not saying that is necessarily what I would do, but he's about the only in-house guy with the experience to be manager. Especially since I don't think Cora will really represent much of a change. I'm probably being overly harsh on Cora but thats just the way I see it. He could ultimately be a lot different than Ozz. In fact, I'm sure he is, but since they are such close friends its hard for any of us to see them as being "different".

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
I've always thought that if the replacement was Cora, you might as well leave Ozzie in place. What doesn't make sense to me about Gammons comment is if they are going to fire him in 2 days, why not pull the plug now? These are huge games.

^^^This. What would be the point other than a shake up? This team run by Cora would be an even bigger snooze fest IMO. Why not make the push for Martinez then? Another guy I wouldn't be too awful upset about talking with would be Don Baylor.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
^^^This. What would be the point other than a shake up? This team run by Cora would be an even bigger snooze fest IMO. Why not make the push for Martinez then? Another guy I wouldn't be too awful upset about talking with would be Don Baylor.

You wouldn't be able to hire Martinez mid-season. Basically whoever you hire has to be an internal guy or out of baseball (or some special assistant). I'm sure if he were to get fired, at least someone would throw out Bobby Valentine, whose probably the most well known FA manager at this point (outside of the Bobby Cox's, Tom Kelly's, etc).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:17 AM)
FWIW,

Peter Gammons was on a Boston radio show this morning and said he expects Ozzie to be fired during the ASB. He said he may be managing the Marlins in a week and also mentioned KW knows his ass is on the line as well.

Please be true. But I still will point to KW being the biggest culprit in the organization. But Ozzie also needs to go. We have two Pamela Anderson-sized boobs running our organization, and it's time for both to get the heave-ho.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:40 AM)
I do know Gammons said a couple of months ago the Sox had some interest in Ken Macha. I don't know if that was as a possible manager or minor league guy or what. I think ultimately, even the people like me who think Ozzie's time is up are going to be dissappointed with the replacement.

Oh, I'm sure. I have no confidence in this franchise to make a good decision/hire.

I think if the Ozzeroo were to get the boot this year, you'd be looking at Buddy Bell for the rest of the year as the Interim White Sox Manager.

Then (unless the team goes ape s*** and starts tearing ass all over the place and gets far in the playoffs), you'd be ushering in the Sandy Alomar/Dave Martinez area of White Sox baseball. I'm a big Ozzie fan but it does sound fresh and exciting though, doesn't it?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Off topic somewhat, but that Gammons expects Guillen to be fired at the break and there to be nary a word from a Sox beat writer is yet another example of how bad the Sox beat writers are.

LOL okay now you do sound like Cowley trying to cover his tracks :lolhitting

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
I think if the Ozzeroo were to get the boot this year, you'd be looking at Buddy Bell for the rest of the year as the Interim White Sox Manager.

Then (unless the team goes ape s*** and starts tearing ass all over the place and gets far in the playoffs), you'd be ushering in the Sandy Alomar/Dave Martinez area of White Sox baseball. I'm a big Ozzie fan but it does sound fresh and exciting though, doesn't it?

I think this is the most likely scenario. Not as sold on Alomar as I would be on Martinez.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Off topic somewhat, but that Gammons expects Guillen to be fired at the break and there to be nary a word from a Sox beat writer is yet another example of how bad the Sox beat writers are.

Good point, and it is curious if he DOES get fired this weekend. If not, it just means Gammons has better access to BS rumors.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)

I find anyone's credibility that works for ESPN to be zilch, nada. Even Gammon. They are a 24 hour network so they have to create news. It's worse during the NFL season.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
I find anyone's credibility that works for ESPN to be zilch, nada. Even Gammon. They are a 24 hour network so they have to create news. It's worse during the NFL season.

PG is not with ESPNes anymore.

I'll gladly eat crow, but I don't think Reinsdorf would do anything with Kenny or Ozzie until the season is over.

Ozzie isn't going anywhere now unless there's something behind the scenes that isn't out that cannot be reconciled.