Jerry must be so proud

fathom

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
I don't think this was "public" at all, even if it was in a ballpark.

Pretty odd stance seeing that it was visible to people at the park.

Edited by BigSqwert

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is being overblown. He doesn't even have to apologize for this IMO...but like all of you, it's just an opinion.

Yet another example of a thin skinned society that loves making everything their own personl business, and small stories into big stories.

This is simply stupid.

Oh, and if I ever played baseball with BS, I'd leave him a similar message...and I wouldn't apologize, either. No matter how many of you saw it, or if the Hubble telescope itself took a picture of it from space and the image went viral, I'd still not apologize for telling the truth.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:43 AM)
Oh, and if I ever played baseball with BS, I'd leave him a similar message...and I wouldn't apologize, either. No matter how many of you saw it, or if the Hubble telescope itself took a picture of it from space and the image went viral, I'd still not apologize for telling the truth.

You're lucky Hell doesn't exist.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:38 PM)
I wouldn't want a lesbian daughter either.

And who are you to tell me how to feel? I'm not gonna judge you for being an atheist (or SoxBadger, if you're not atheist), but you're going to judge me for how I choose to raise my kids? That's pretty arrogant. Whatever dude, you're not going to guilt trip me for wanting a normal kid.

This says more about you than any other post you've made here.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
I'm not allowed to be disappointed if my son is gay? Would you not be disappointed? I think most red blooded men would be. Doesn't mean we'd show it, but are there people out there who actually want a gay child?

I'd be of the mind that if my kid is being smart, not hooked on meth, and leading a productive life, he or she can choose whatever sexual orientation they want and it would honestly not affect me in the least.

My future child, whenever that happens, can choose whatever life he/she wants to lead.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm not so sure it is...

I used to think it is when I was in middle school, but I didn't know any better. Maybe some people choose to be gay (don't really know why they would if they didn't like men), but I'm absolutely positive that the majority of gay men are gay because they like other men.

I'm pretty sure it's something you're born with. You're either gay or you're not. Sometimes you can tell pretty early.

One of the neighborhood kids my wife grew up with always wanted to play with my wife's barbies. When they would play "house", he always wanted to be the mom. He finally came out in HS to the surprise of no one.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:45 AM)
This says more about you than any other post you've made here.

I think he means normal in this case in the typical view of society at large via majority acceptance. My point is this -- if I can even put this into words effectively -- it's not only him that thinks a "normal kid" isn't gay/lesbian, because this is a social norm by majority as accepted by society at large. In this regard, people tend to relate societal "norms" as what the majority happen to be, and in this case, that's straight. Which would make non-straights fall in the non-normal category, BUT, that's not to say they're not normal people as individuals, but in relation to society they aren't.

^^ I hope that comes off as I intended it and can be understood.

I don't think the bulk of society is anti-gay or anti-lesbian because they regard straight as the norm, and gay/lesbian as something else...it is what it is.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:17 PM)
I have no problem with gay people. But my son? Sorry, I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to know that my son was takin' it in the booty. Sorry to be so cynical.

This is such an ass-backwards statement. Clearly, you do have a problem with gay people.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I didn't tell my father that I suffered from depression and almost shot myself in the head because I didn't want to bring shame to him. That's not fear; that's respect for your elders. If my kid's gay, I'd rather he not tell me so I never have to know. It'd be the respectful thing to do.

LOL, enjoy never knowing your child then.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
I think he means normal in this case in the typical view of society at large via majority acceptance. My point is this -- if I can even put this into words effectively -- it's not only him that thinks a "normal kid" isn't gay/lesbian, because this is a social norm by majority as accepted by society at large. In this regard, people tend to relate societal "norms" as what the majority happen to be, and in this case, that's straight. Which would make non-straights fall in the non-normal category, BUT, that's not to say they're not normal people as individuals, but in relation to society they aren't.

I don't think the bulk of society is anti-gay or anti-lesbian because they regard straight as the norm, and gay/lesbian as something else...it is what it is.

People define "normal" based on their surroundings and what they are used to. Go to some country where they eat dogs and the people there think it's perfectly normal. Yet in this country I'd assume most people would think it's really weird.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)

Then where do you draw the line? If they have a bunch of tattoos? If they are huge nerds? If they are loners? Are all of those worthy of disowning?

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
People define "normal" based on their surroundings and what they are used to. Go to some country where they eat dogs and the people there think it's perfectly normal. Yet in this country I'd assume most people would think it's really weird.

That's what I mean.

It's easy to take things out of context in this regard when we talk about individuals vs society. I don't think gays/lesbians aren't normal as individuals, but in relation to society, they're not the norm, even if they're accepted.

What he said could be read into one of two ways, the way I explained above, or the way others did...

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
Then where do you draw the line? If they have a bunch of tattoos? If they are huge nerds? If they are loners? Are all of those worthy of disowning?

I just find it interesting that a poster who claims he was depressed and thought about eating a bullet wouldn't want his future child to share depression with him to avoid those same feelings (as well as say, possibly loving someone of the same sex... FOR SHAME!)

Jeez, have sex with and love whomever you want, people. Just be safe. Oh, and don't kill anyone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)

It has nothing to do with disowning or hating...it's just different context when you look at someone as normal as an individual vs looking at the them in regard to the societal norm.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 04:01 PM)
I just find it interesting that a poster who claims he was depressed and thought about eating a bullet wouldn't want his future child to share depression with him to avoid those same feelings (as well as say, possibly loving someone of the same sex... FOR SHAME!)

Jeez, have sex with and love whomever you want, people. Just be safe. Oh, and don't kill anyone.

as long as they are of consenting age.

One phrase I keep seeing is "they choose". I'm no expert, but I have a few relatives that are gay, and they didn't choose to be gay. They are attracted to the same sex just as I'm attracted to the opposite sex. Someone could choose to "be gay" if they were straight but decided to be with the same sex, but then they wouldn't truly be gay...they would just be pretending.

People should have the right to offend as many people as they like, but they have to take the criticism that follows. If by now you don't know that a sizable group of people find using gay for stupid offensive, then you live under a rock or something. Be offensive, but don't whine when people call you out on it.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
One phrase I keep seeing is "they choose". I'm no expert, but I have a few relatives that are gay, and they didn't choose to be gay. They are attracted to the same sex just as I'm attracted to the opposite sex. Someone could choose to "be gay" if they were straight but decided to be with the same sex, but then they wouldn't truly be gay...they would just be pretending.

It's the way you are born. I guess people think you can turn it on and off.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:44 PM)
I didn't tell my father that I suffered from depression and almost shot myself in the head because I didn't want to bring shame to him. That's not fear; that's respect for your elders. If my kid's gay, I'd rather he not tell me so I never have to know. It'd be the respectful thing to do.

This makes me appreciate my family that much more, knowing I could go to them in a time of need without being judged or shaming them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
This is such an ass-backwards statement. Clearly, you do have a problem with gay people.

I thought this got locked? Anyway, yeah, I don't have a "problem" with gay people. Let's put it this way. If I had a roommate and maybe a year or so down the line I found out he was gay, I'd be cool with it. As long as, of course, he realized that I don't swing that way. I would say I'd have to leave whenever he had a guy over. That would just gross me out. To know that there are two dudes gettin' it on in the room next door to me. Sorry if that sounds insensitive. Just bein' honest.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
People should have the right to offend as many people as they like, but they have to take the criticism that follows. If by now you don't know that a sizable group of people find using gay for stupid offensive, then you live under a rock or something. Be offensive, but don't whine when people call you out on it.

:notworthy

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)
Yet you'd probably cry like a little kid if I said your atheism constituted "pretty terrible views" (again, I'm assuming you're an atheist, but hopefully you see what I mean). Why are you judging me when you wouldn't appreciate being judged?

Nah, but I do think it's funny that you keep saying "I don't care if you're an atheist" but keep bringing it up about different people.

I don't appreciate being unfairly judged. Wanting your child to hide who they are so that you can be happier is a pretty terrible view in most ethics, I would think.