Jerry must be so proud

fathom

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 09:41 AM)
FWIW, they are playing a boys game. If you can't have a little fun while playing it, you are in the wrong profession.

It probably took him 10-15 seconds to do it between innings while the pitcher was warming up.

I agree but the religion of political correctness seems to have ruined everything, especially the English language. Look at words like retard, it comes from ritard which means to slow. If gay means homo then what are heteros? Miserable?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
I agree but the religion of political correctness seems to have ruined everything, especially the English language. Look at words like retard, it comes from ritard which means to slow. If gay means homo then what are heteros? Miserable?

Yeah that's not over the top. *rolls eyes*

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)

How is your life "ruined" by not being able to use the word gay as an insult? Or by the fact that you can't call a person retarded as an insult? How is the English language ruined when you have to come up with a different insult?

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
I stand by my earlier comment that such comments won't be high on my list of concerns for a gay son or a retarded daughter. Remember that whole sticks and stones thing we heard as children? They'll get over a silly comment. What they won't get over so easily is other disadvantages they are sure to face, like where they will work and who they will take care of etc.

Derogatory slurs being common-place only propagates the disadvantages and them being seen as "others"

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)

"Retard" is a derogatory word used to refer to mentally handicapped people or as an insult for someone acting stupid. Appeals to dictionary definitions or latin roots doesn't change the common usage of the word.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 07:36 PM)
Honestly, if my child is either of those two things, I'm probably just going to be very, very sad. I'll never give up my duties as a father because that's not how a conservative and an officer behaves, but secretly, I'll be heartbroken.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Beyond deplorable.

Also works here

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 05:54 AM)
It took a dozen comments before a voice of reason commented. It seems to be indicative of how far our society has not come, in fact backsliding. It should not be acceptable on any level to insult someone using homosexual terms. It is a sign of ignorance. Do it, if you want, but along with it's use comes a tag of ignorance.

BTW, Gordon's apology is not an apology, "obviously". He's just sorry he got busted.

So nice of you to be judge and jury with your last statement. Backsliding, yes. But not the way you view it. You seem very n****rdly when it comes forgiving Beckham.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)
How is your life "ruined" by not being able to use the word gay as an insult? Or by the fact that you can't call a person retarded as an insult? How is the English language ruined when you have to come up with a different insult?

Tell me why the word "gay" should be insulting to homos?

How about queer?

f**?

Some words have different meanings in different culture.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)

How about queer?

f**?

It's not worth arguing with someone as ignorant and clueless as you're making yourself appear in this discussion.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:43 PM)

Because people choose to use that word as an insult. Do you think that Gordon Beckham was complimenting Chris Getz, or was he trying to make a joke and denigrate him a little bit?

How about queer?

f**?

In the US culture, gay is synonymous with homosexual and so calling something that's 'bad' gay is to insult it by likening it to homosexuals. It's pretty simple.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
"Retard" is a derogatory word used to refer to mentally handicapped people or as an insult for someone acting stupid. Appeals to dictionary definitions or latin roots doesn't change the common usage of the word.

It's also not derogatory. They are official classifications as well such as Mild Mental Retardation.

I can't agree with your last sentence either. Latin roots maybe spelled differently but pronounced the same. Ritard is a common music term. How long will it be before the political correctness gods tell every orchestra conductor that they can't speak that word.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
In the US culture, gay is synonymous with homosexual and so calling something that's 'bad' gay is to insult it by likening it to homosexuals. It's pretty simple.

But gay means happy. :bang

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
How long will it be before the political correctness gods tell every orchestra conductor that they can't speak that word.

Never. I can say right now that Adam Dunn's failure to hit is retarding the progress of the White Sox, and that is not a derogatory use of that word; I'm not using it in the sense of calling anyone stupid, I'm using the alternate definition of the word accurately.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
I like using the word gay. I use it all the time. This is gay, that's gay, you're gay. Since it's not natural to stick your weiner in a man's anus, it should be joked about...that's the price of being gay..the jokes. They don't have it THAT bad. I mean it's like anything else a person does that goes against the natural grain, ya get ridiculed. I'm just glad I don't have to make a fake apology like GB did every time I say it. Nobody likes having to fake apologize.

This is the worst post I've ever seen on here.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
This is the worst post I've ever seen on here.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
I thought so, too.

Definitely someone I hope to never meet in real life.

How about queer?

f**?

You are using them as a derogatory term, instead of a descriptive term.

If I used your name as an insult to mean the most idiotic poster on Soxtalk, that wouldn't offend you? I mean it is your name and all, so that is fine, right?

I'm not sure that the difference can be much clearer.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:08 PM)
You are using them as a derogatory term, instead of a descriptive term.

If I used your name as an insult to mean the most idiotic poster on Soxtalk, that wouldn't offend you? I mean it is your name and all, so that is fine, right?

I'm not sure that the difference can be much clearer.

:headbang