Jerry must be so proud

fathom

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the comments to the article speak this is a non story. Some of them are funny.

D@mn I need some straight news...

Has Roethlisberger sexually assaulted in hotties lately?

Edited by kitekrazy

Political correctness is gay.

Seriously though, when does the politically correct crap end? Why are people so sensitive? Everyone wants to act like stuff like Beckham's comments and stuff like Michael Richard's dumb comments a few years back are huge problems to those communities, but are they? Did Michael Richards cause another black teen to get pregnant or drop out of school or join a gang? He acted like a horrible fool, for sure, but he didn't contribute to the actual problems of black Americans. And Gordon Beckham, with his silly joke to a personal friend, did not contribute to the actual problems of gay Americans.

If gays are worried about their legitimacy, they should be far more concerned with the debauchery of their pride parades, among other things (AIDS, anyone?). Those pride parades do more to damage the reputations of homosexuals much more than perjorative yet joking uses of the term "gay" do. I'd be equally disgusted by a straight pride parade (how ridiculous does THAT sound?) that behaved in such a way.

All I see in this story is one crappy second baseman making a bad joke about another crappy second baseman.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
Political correctness is gay.

Seriously though, when does the politically correct crap end? Why are people so sensitive? Everyone wants to act like stuff like Beckham's comments and stuff like Michael Richard's dumb comments a few years back are huge problems to those communities, but are they? Did Michael Richards cause another black teen to get pregnant or drop out of school or join a gang? He acted like a horrible fool, for sure, but he didn't contribute to the actual problems of black Americans. And Gordon Beckham, with his silly joke to a personal friend, did not contribute to the actual problems of gay Americans.

If gays are worried about their legitimacy, they should be far more concerned with the debauchery of their pride parades, among other things (AIDS, anyone?). Those pride parades do more to damage the reputations of homosexuals much more than perjorative yet joking uses of the term "gay" do. I'd be equally disgusted by a straight pride parade (how ridiculous does THAT sound?) that behaved in such a way.

All I see in this story is one crappy second baseman making a bad joke about another crappy second baseman.

He should have put Getz is a Geek or something.

You just can't do what Gordon did. Can't you see that? The political correctness will never end. It's now here to stay.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 05:42 PM)
He should have put Getz is a Geek or something.

You just can't do what Gordon did. Can't you see that? The political correctness will never end. It's now here to stay.

That makes no sense at all. It will never end and it's here to stay, so there's no point calling it stupid and fighting against it? Wow. I'm sure glad we take that attitude towards...oh, I don't know...communism? Just for starters.

Political correctness is an idiotic idea designed to protect the emotionally weak. I'm not going to acquiesce to it simply because a lot of other people have.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 06:59 PM)
That makes no sense at all. It will never end and it's here to stay, so there's no point calling it stupid and fighting against it? Wow. I'm sure glad we take that attitude towards...oh, I don't know...communism? Just for starters.

Political correctness is an idiotic idea designed to protect the emotionally weak. I'm not going to acquiesce to it simply because a lot of other people have.

If you wound up having a gay son or a mentally handicapped daughter will your attitude be the same if you hear people saying "f*****!" or "retard!" in your presence?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 01:26 AM)
Looks like the comments to the article speak this is a non story. Some of them are funny.

D@mn I need some straight news...

Has Roethlisberger sexually assaulted in hotties lately?

:lolhitting

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
If you wound up having a gay son or a mentally handicapped daughter will your attitude be the same if you hear people saying "f*****!" or "retard!" in your presence?

I stand by my earlier comment that such comments won't be high on my list of concerns for a gay son or a retarded daughter. Remember that whole sticks and stones thing we heard as children? They'll get over a silly comment. What they won't get over so easily is other disadvantages they are sure to face, like where they will work and who they will take care of etc.

Honestly, if my child is either of those two things, I'm probably just going to be very, very sad. I'll never give up my duties as a father because that's not how a conservative and an officer behaves, but secretly, I'll be heartbroken.

QUOTE (FlySox87 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:59 AM)

Then you will get in a lot of trouble in society.

Beckham's lucky he didn't get fined/suspended. Can't do this stuff, just can't.

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:00 AM)
Thank you for your sound mind.

You don't agree?

He's advocating just shunning political correctness and saying whatever he darn well pleases.

Won't work.

I like using the word gay. I use it all the time. This is gay, that's gay, you're gay. Since it's not natural to stick your weiner in a man's anus, it should be joked about...that's the price of being gay..the jokes. They don't have it THAT bad. I mean it's like anything else a person does that goes against the natural grain, ya get ridiculed. I'm just glad I don't have to make a fake apology like GB did every time I say it. Nobody likes having to fake apologize.

Is it wrong that I'm not so much bothered by WHAT he wrote in the dirt as I am that he found the time (and in-game 'focus') to dig around in the dirt like a silly 8-year-old?

I'm all for the shaving cream interview pies and practical jokes when the players are earning their paychecks, but I'm simply OVER these (slumping--or just not giving a crap anymore?) guys goofing all all the g**damned time.

PS: I'm usually a very nice girl, really. For years I've been criticized for having 'too much hope' and drinking the kool-aid. By now though, this team's broken my heart so many times I feel like I'm becoming a cynical b**** as a result. I'll try to keep the posts more positive in nature from now on. :)

Edited by SouthSideTeacher

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:44 AM)
Is it wrong that I'm not so much bothered by WHAT he wrote in the dirt as I am that he found the time (and in-game 'focus') to dig around in the dirt like a silly 8-year-old?

Yes, very wrong that you would think that way.

QUOTE (SouthSideTeacher @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:44 AM)

If he's hitting .300/.350 I have no problem with it.

Now? I agree.

I'm all for the shaving cream interview pies and practical jokes when the players are earning their paychecks, but I'm simply OVER these (slumping--or just not giving a crap anymore?) guys goofing all all the g**damned time.

PS: I'm usually a very nice girl, really. For years I've been criticized for having 'too much hope' and drinking the kool-aid. By now though, this team's broken my heart so many times I feel like I'm becoming a cynical b**** as a result. I'll try to keep the posts more positive in nature from now on. :)

FWIW, Beckham's also the one that started lugging around a 6' tall "Most Interesting Man in the World" cut-out (the bearded dude from the Dos Equis commercials) everywhere they play and started the tradition of posing it behind the "Sox Game MVP" whenever he was being interviewed.

At least Beckham was clever enough to joke that it very rarely leaves Konerko's locker these days.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 03:27 AM)
FWIW, Beckham's also the one that started lugging around a 6' tall "Most Interesting Man in the World" cut-out (the bearded dude from the Dos Equis commercials) everywhere they play and started the tradition of posing it behind the "Sox Game MVP" whenever he was being interviewed.

At least Beckham was clever enough to joke that it very rarely leaves Konerko's locker these days.

"I don't always root for a crappy team... but when I do, I root for the Chicago White Sox."

(as seen on another message board RE: the locker room cut-out.)

LOL

This was absolutely stupid of Beckham to do, but perhaps it has been a bit of a humbling experience, allowing him to realize that he's a major leaguer, so not only are there expectations put upon him as a ballplayer (which it doesn't appear Ozzie or Walker have noted to him) but as a representative of the game as well. Hopefully he figures out this 'obvious' situation and never does it again.

It doesn't offend me. It doesn't offend most of the gay people I know either, unless it is done maliciously or repeatedly.

It still doesn't make it right.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 06:55 PM)
this is why it is an issue.

1.the gay community is fighting to have equal right like straight people and not be 2nd class citizens. 2.how many active gay baseball players do you know? they cant even be themselves and have to pretend to be straight in the public eye.

this is the same as some one some one in 1955-1968 writing "GETZ IS BLACK! G.B.,"

This is so f***ing wrong that it's not even worth discussing. Quite frankly, there is a clear distinction between someone who has a darker skin color and someone who has a lighter skin color. There is absolutely no distinction whatsoever between someone who is "gay" and someone who is not. The only way you know if someone is homosexual is if they are willing and have the courage to admit that fact to their closest family. That's not an easy thing to do. If you are a famous athlete, it becomes much harder to do. This is not a comparable situation at all.

QUOTE (whitem0nkey @ Jul 9, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
this is why it is an issue.

1.the gay community is fighting to have equal right like straight people and not be 2nd class citizens. 2.how many active gay baseball players do you know? they cant even be themselves and have to pretend to be straight in the public eye.

this is the same as some one some one in 1955-1968 writing "GETZ IS BLACK! G.B.,"

It took a dozen comments before a voice of reason commented. It seems to be indicative of how far our society has not come, in fact backsliding. It should not be acceptable on any level to insult someone using homosexual terms. It is a sign of ignorance. Do it, if you want, but along with it's use comes a tag of ignorance.

BTW, Gordon's apology is not an apology, "obviously". He's just sorry he got busted.

FWIW, they are playing a boys game. If you can't have a little fun while playing it, you are in the wrong profession.

It probably took him 10-15 seconds to do it between innings while the pitcher was warming up.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:06 AM)
I like using the word gay. I use it all the time. This is gay, that's gay, you're gay. Since it's not natural to stick your weiner in a man's anus, it should be joked about...that's the price of being gay..the jokes. They don't have it THAT bad. I mean it's like anything else a person does that goes against the natural grain, ya get ridiculed. I'm just glad I don't have to make a fake apology like GB did every time I say it. Nobody likes having to fake apologize.

Beyond deplorable.