The official "end of Ozzie soon?" thread

whitesoxbrian

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
I've already done it several times. The White Sox would have to return season ticket money to thousands of fans if they made this move. You can't sell an Ozzie plan and than not deliver Ozzie to those who purchase it. It's an obvious case of "bait and switch" and the FTC frowns on it big time.

You, of course, are unquestionably correct, but I'm afraid the White Sox have been pulling the same crap for years. A while back, I went to a concession stand to purchase a "Beltin' Bill Melton Bratwurst." After paying my money, all I received was a German sausage covered with sauerkraut, instead of, you know, Bill Melton's actual penis. Talk about a bait and switch.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 09:15 PM)
You, of course, are unquestionably correct, but I'm afraid the White Sox have been pulling the same crap for years. A while back, I went to a concession stand to purchase a "Beltin' Bill Melton Bratwurst." After paying my money, all I received was a German sausage covered with sauerkraut, instead of, you know, Bill Melton's actual penis. Talk about a bait and switch.

Wait. You paid for Bill Meltons dick?

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 04:36 AM)
+1

The talent is nullified by the lousiness of Dunn and Rios.

If we'd bat Dunn eighth and get rid of Rios and replace Juan with Dayan, then I think we actually would have a prayer.

:notworthy

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 06:15 PM)
Given their reluctance to make any changes to the team this season, I still think this is the most realistic outcome.

If nothing else...waiting until the season end gives KW a fall guy and maybe still allows a trade of him to Florida (although not for anything incredibly valuable0.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
If nothing else...waiting until the season end gives KW a fall guy and maybe still allows a trade of him to Florida (although not for anything incredibly valuable0.

If this keeps up, one of them is gone for sure. There is no doubt about that. They have trouble co-existing while winning. It will collapse with too many more losses.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 09:42 AM)
If this keeps up, one of them is gone for sure. There is no doubt about that. They have trouble co-existing while winning. It will collapse with too many more losses.

I thought that was pretty clear at the start of the season. I wouldn't have been surprised if both of them were gone if they pulled together an 83-79 season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 08:44 AM)
I thought that was pretty clear at the start of the season. I wouldn't have been surprised if both of them were gone if they pulled together an 83-79 season.

I don't see both of them being gone. It is too easy to blame problems on the other, and Jerry has always been a guy who values organizational stability. I'm guessing Ozzie is the one to be gone, judging by how he has historically stood by his upper management guys.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:41 AM)

Maybe, just maybe, he'll trade Ozzie before the deadline.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 12:38 AM)
The talent is nullified by the lousiness of Dunn and Rios.

If we'd bat Dunn eighth and get rid of Rios and replace Juan with Dayan, then I think we actually would have a prayer.

But Dunn is part of that potential. If you're banking on Dunn hitting .160 for the next 3.5 years, we're in an infinitely worse position.

This is one of the funniest things I've ever read on Soxtalk. Bravo, man.

For those that

1) want Ozzie fired before the season ends

2) think there's a very slim or no chance to win this year anyway

what is the point of firing Ozzie now, rather than waiting until after the season? if Jerry/Kenny know they are firing him, they are already looking. Joey Cora or Harold Baines running this team helps no one and doesn't accomplish anything.

I think there is still a 10% chance this team has a run in them with Ozzie, but a 0% chance if you fire Ozzie.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
For those that

what is the point of firing Ozzie now, rather than waiting until after the season? if Jerry/Kenny know they are firing him, they are already looking. Joey Cora or Harold Baines running this team helps no one and doesn't accomplish anything.

I think there is still a 10% chance this team has a run in them with Ozzie, but a 0% chance if you fire Ozzie.

I think there's talent here that might get motivated to do something with a shakeup in management. Just think 2004 Astros as I pointed out in other threads. They fired their skipper when they started out terribly and wound up making the playoffs. I think something similar can happen here since it's in my opinion that Ozzie has lost this team.

Ozzie used to get the most out of his players, he no longer is.

I am not sure why this is the case but it is.

He is a terrible in game manager and as such, he no longer has value ot the organization.

By the way, Don Cooper does not have a contract for next year. He way want to test the market as well. Think Larry Rothschild and the cubs.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
For those that

On top of what Sqwert said, I also want to see it happen for selfish reasons. It'll show accountability, but I admit that I'd cherish the opportunity to see that smug cocksucker get canned in the middle of the season. We can probably all agree that it's a little more embarrassing to be fired in the middle of the season rather than the end.

And who knows, maybe the Sox go on a run under Cora and it propels them to the playoffs and garners him more attention as a manager elsewhere. It's pretty simplistic to say it helps no one to fire Ozzie.

I think Ozzie is good for the game and good for the Sox. I do not support his being fired. I do not believe he is a quitter either. Now it could be that he doesn't want to be a part of this organization anymore and in that case I would bet the Marlins beckon.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
I think Ozzie is good for the game and good for the Sox. I do not support his being fired.

So you think he should manage here indefinitely? I mean what scenario could you see him getting fired over if this isn't it?