Sox fielding calls for Edwin Jackson

Baron

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
They could probably get something better than Jackson for him, right?

The .742 OPS he's putting up this year isn't helping his trade value, but yes, they should still be able to get more than Jackson for him.

That said, if Edwin Jackson is the best pitcher available on the trade market, and the Cardinals need a starter...well...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)
Teams that have zero use for a corner OF:

1. St. Louis Cardinals.

This is true. For some reason I was thinking in terms of them ditching an OF and getting one back, but obviously CQ can't be in center and is not starting over Holliday/Berkman

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 07:13 PM)
They could probably get something better than Jackson for him, right?

Atlanta seems to be a significantly better trade partner for Rasmus. However, if you can trade Danks for Rasmus and Quentin for Beachy, then sign me up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
The .742 OPS he's putting up this year isn't helping his trade value, but yes, they should still be able to get more than Jackson for him.

That said, if Edwin Jackson is the best pitcher available on the trade market, and the Cardinals need a starter...well...

He's also been terrible defensively for them as well. They want pitching.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:18 PM)
Edwin Jackson AND Carlos Quentin for Rasmus

Jackson and Rios and you have a deal.

What would that trade accomplish? Quentin isn't that bad, folks.

We need to find creative ways to dump Rios and Juan and Dunn and get Dayan up here.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Atlanta seems to be a significantly better trade partner for Rasmus. However, if you can trade Danks for Rasmus and Quentin for Beachy, then sign me up.

I have trouble seeing Atlanta wanting a long term OF solution like that, with the way they're talking up the defense they're playing righ tnow.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Jackson and Rios and you have a deal.

What would that trade accomplish? Quentin isn't that bad, folks.

We need to find creative ways to dump Rios and Juan and Dunn and get Dayan up here.

How many teams are going to want our overpaid terrible players with long contracts? You're making it sound like there's a demand for Rios, Peavy and Pierre.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 06:45 PM)
How many teams are going to want our overpaid terrible players with long contracts? You're making it sound like there's a demand for Rios, Peavy and Pierre.

None. That's why I said "creative" ways to trade.

I think Jackson and Quentin for Rasmus would be idiotic.

Jackson must be a headcase cause he still has good stuff (I guess Cooper can't fix this one) and Quentin is a good player.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
None. That's why I said "creative" ways to trade.

I think Jackson and Quentin for Rasmus would be idiotic.

Jackson must be a headcase cause he still has good stuff (I guess Cooper can't fix this one) and Quentin is a good player.

I don't know if Jackson is a headcase...I think his biggest problem is the lack of a third remotely effective pitch. He's all 2 pitches...fastball slider. If both of those pitches are on 100% of the time, then he's near unhittable. If either of those pitches isn't giving him control that day though, then he's rapidly a 1-pitch pitcher or worse. He can still win some of those games because 1 of those pitches is a 96 mph fastball, but he has to throw a lot of pitches to win a game like that if he doesn't have the slider.

Throw in one more pitch that comes in the low to mid 80's, even if it's not hugely effective every game, and suddenly even on days where he has no control over the slider, he can keep people off balance by changing velocity. Or, similarly, get him to do a better job of changing up the velocity on his fastball. Something. He just doesn't have the repertoire needed to be an everyday starter unless his 2 pitches are there all the time.