Sox "uncharacteristically quiet" on trade front

southsider2k5

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 06:43 AM)
I seriously hope we don't trade Q just to clear a spot for Dayan.

That is the worst thing they could do.

Amen. That's what I was trying to say.

Stupid reasoning to make that deal.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:12 AM)
Amen. That's what I was trying to say.

Stupid reasoning to make that deal.

Yep. A struggling offense doesn't need to send it's second most productive player packing in place of a prospect who has just a little track record of success.

Ideal situation to me would be DFA Teahen, send Morel to AAA, or DFA Omar...

Then have Dayan start sometimes in LF while Pierre moves to CF with Rios on the pine...

DH Dayan sometimes with Dunn on the pine...

LF Dayan with Pierre on the pine

DH Q with Dunn on the pine and Dayan in RF

Between those three situations - he should be able to get 20 AB's a week.

I'm really curious as to how their going to make room for him on the roster because I don't see them sending Teahen, Morel, or Omar away.

Maybe we've been seeing less of Morel because they're planning to send him down until September call ups?

Who bleeping knows wft is going on. :D

Just don't trade Viecedo or Q

Despite publicly insisting they don't intend to trade Colby Rasmus, the Cardinals have engaged in discussions with the White Sox involving the outfielder, reports Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Strauss says talks between the two teams have "accelerated" within the last few days.

According to Strauss, Edwin Jackson and Matt Thornton are among the players who could interest the Cardinals. The Cards would also be looking for minor league talent from the White Sox, and a third team "may be sought to facilitate a deal."

QUOTE (tpezz27 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
Despite publicly insisting they don't intend to trade Colby Rasmus, the Cardinals have engaged in discussions with the White Sox involving the outfielder, reports Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Strauss says talks between the two teams have "accelerated" within the last few days.

According to Strauss, Edwin Jackson and Matt Thornton are among the players who could interest the Cardinals. The Cards would also be looking for minor league talent from the White Sox, and a third team "may be sought to facilitate a deal."

Interesting. I wonder what that means for Rios.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 09:42 PM)
I can't believe you guys can't see how ridiculous it is to trade CQ and merely put Dayan there. What does that accomplish? They are the same player potentially?

So we add some reliever for CQ? Or a couple minor leaguers? Stupid.

Trading one of two productive players in the whole lineup is a smart trade? Dumb as hell.

The only way I'd trade him is for a can't miss third baseman.

BTW read tonight's Chicago Tribune Gonzalez rainout article. Doesn't sound like changes are imminent. www.chicagotribune.com

CLEVELAND — With the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline one week away, manager Ozzie Guillen doesn’t see the need to acquire a player as long as the White Sox show improvement.

“A lot of people say we need this or that,” Guillen said before Saturday night’s rainout in Cleveland. “You know what we need? Our guys to play right and play (well). That’s my opinion.

“If they start playing (well), I don’t think we need anybody else. If we are not playing good, then (general manager) Kenny Williams could go a different way. If we don’t play good for the next couple of weeks, they could go in a different direction.”

Guillen said he hasn’t spoken recently to Williams, who didn’t accompany the Sox on their three-city trip that ends Sunday.

“I think he believes the way I believe, that we have a better ballclub than the way we’re playing,” Guillen said. “I still believe we have a better ballclub. We’re just not playing the way we think.”

The Sox have survived without a true long reliever since Jake Peavy threw four innings in an emergency appearance June 25. But Brian Bruney said he’s capable of throwing more than one inning if needed.

“You start throwing guys two or three innings at a time consistently, guys get fatigued,” Bruney said. “So in my opinion, it’s always better to give a guy an inning but keep him fresh. You give them more work, but you keep them sharp with maybe an inning or 1 1/3 innings rather than stretching guys out.

“But I feel comfortable with whatever they ask me because if I need to come in like I did when (John) Danks went down and throw (a career-high) 2 1/3 innings. I felt stronger every inning, I don’t mind doing it.”

i cant believe that your baseball blinders are so narrow that you fail to recognize that Quentin is a commodity and Rios and Dunn are albotrosses, and they are UNMOVEABLE. This isnt fantasy baseball greg, this is a business. the Sox will not just eat contracts just because the players arent working out.

Quentin is under control for two more years and gets more expensive every year. he isnt a given offensively, he is extremely streaky and if another team is willing to overpay for him and give you a ml ready player, you do it no questions asked. It is time the Sox find out if Viciedo is what they signed him to be. Quentin has provided what, 5 months of success in 3 years and you act asi if he is as untradeable as Pujols. GMAFB. Get some damn perspective on the sport for once in your soxtalk life and quit acting like an allstar appearance and a great catch make you a White Sox for life

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 23, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)
The Astros are asking for multiple impact players in any deal involving Hunter Pence, according to Jon Heyman, Jayson Stark and Buster Olney. Pence earns $6.9MM this year and is due for a raise this offseason, when he could see his salary jump to the $10MM range. He'll earn another raise for the 2013 campaign before hitting free agency that offseason. Here's the latest on Pence, who is one of few impact hitters available:

The Phillies are targeting Pence, but the price for him is rather high, writes CSNPhilly.com's Jim Salisbury. Houston would probably want a package that begins with Domonic Brown. The Phillies might also have to include another top talent along with him.

If Pence is making $2 million more than CQ this year and will make at least $1.5-2 million more than Quentin in 2012, why shouldn't the White Sox be getting a very good prospect back for him? Maybe not #1-30 or so, but there's absolutely no reason we shouldn't get a consensus Top 30-80 guy or a COUPLE of Top 6-10 prospects from an organization with a lot of minor league depth.

Besides Beltran, who's out there? And Beltran's going to cost 2.5X as much in terms of additional payroll added on...

Ah, those Astros and their contracts.....

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 24, 2011 -> 12:30 AM)
It's hilarious for "salary relief" we have to trade our second best hitter because of ridiculous contracts to Peavy, Rios and Dunn. LOL. And Kenny has a job?

POTW. Unfortunately pro sports with guaranteed contracts are rigged that way.