Colby Rasmus Trade Rumor

OilCan

Who is this quality starter their going to get. Their really isn't much out there. Why would the Tigers adding a pitcher automatically give them the division, but the Sox adding a bat would give them nothing? What's the logic in that. The Tigers have been outscored by their opponents this year, but are somehow 7 games over .500. That kind of trend usually does not last a whole season.

The Tigers will get Kuroda or someone similar that will be an upgrade over the back of their rotation. That is their biggest weakness. With Ordonez back they are hitting the ball really well and with hitters like Cabrera, Martinez, Peralta, Ordonez, Avila, Guillen and Joyce all healthy now they will blow the doors off the Sox.

No, adding Rasmus will do very little for this team. They are not good at winning baseball games and Rasmus won't change that. They are not even a .500 team.

I'm not saying trading for him is a bad move but the Sox should be eyeing next year and beyond. This is a garbage bunch of dogs they have this year. They are going nowhere - not even with a couple of moves.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to think that if the Sox sell off pieces when they are 4.5 back, fans will revolt. There is nothing stopping you from dealing Quentin in the offseason if that's what the team so desires, but I don't see how they can deal him in season.

Hopefully they go 5-1 this week and they sweep Detroit or they go 1-5 and get swept by Detroit. Knowing the nature of this team, they'll go 3-3, losing the series to Detroit but beating Boston, and Detroit will lose their Saturday game and the Sox will go into the trade deadline like 5 or 5.5 back which isn't far enough back to sell but isn't really close enough to buy either.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)
The Tigers will get Kuroda or someone similar that will be an upgrade over the back of their rotation. That is their biggest weakness. With Ordonez back they are hitting the ball really well and with hitters like Cabrera, Martinez, Peralta, Ordonez, Avila, Guillen and Joyce all healthy now they will blow the doors off the Sox.

No, adding Rasmus will do very little for this team. They are not good at winning baseball games and Rasmus won't change that. They are not even a .500 team.

I'm not saying trading for him is a bad move but the Sox should be eyeing next year and beyond. This is a garbage bunch of dogs they have this year. They are going nowhere - not even with a couple of moves.

Ordonez is hitting .236/.305/.312/.616 on the year. I think he's starting to break down a bit.

I don't quite understand how Peralta went from a .250 hitter to a .320 hitter, but, without doing much research, that some regression has to be due in the next couple of months. Carlos Guillen is an OK player at this point, but he's not that good defensively and he's still an all-out sprint away from getting hurt again. They also haven't had Joyce for a while, but do have Boesch. He is a pretty solid player.

For whatever reason, you also assume that guys on the White Sox won't get it going. If they do, then they are a completely different team as well. I'm surely not counting on it, but it's always a possibility.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:45 PM)

I think you are way overestimating Detroit. They have holes big enough to drive a truck through.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Ordonez is hitting .236/.305/.312/.616 on the year. I think he's starting to break down a bit.

Since returning from injury, he's hitting .322/.388/.390/.778 in 17 games (59 at bats).

Not world-beating, but solid.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 02:47 PM)
I have to think that if the Sox sell off pieces when they are 4.5 back, fans will revolt. There is nothing stopping you from dealing Quentin in the offseason if that's what the team so desires, but I don't see how they can deal him in season.

Hopefully they go 5-1 this week and they sweep Detroit or they go 1-5 and get swept by Detroit. Knowing the nature of this team, they'll go 3-3, losing the series to Detroit but beating Boston, and Detroit will lose their Saturday game and the Sox will go into the trade deadline like 5 or 5.5 back which isn't far enough back to sell but isn't really close enough to buy either.

That's the issue, standing pat. We NEED to deal Jackson now. The market is perfect, and we may not even get a sandwich pick from him if they change the CBA. Yes, we can pay Quentin arb and trade him in the offseason, but Jackson needs to be dealt. That's why I like this Jackson+ for Rasmus -- we could do it and actually still contend this year while maximizing the Jackson return.

Edited by Eminor3rd

Per FanGraphs, exerpted from the power rankings:

18. Chicago White Sox: Last week – 17, WAR% – .524 (16), FAN% – .488 (19), TOTAL% – .510

If the White Sox acquire Colby Rasmus as has been rumored, would that make Alex Rios and Juan Pierre platoon partners? And if it did, would they form the most expensive platoon in Major League history?

Interesting idea. Though it's more likely Ozzie would platoon Rasmus/Rios for the rest of the season.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 03:46 PM)
Per FanGraphs, exerpted from the power rankings:

Interesting idea. Though it's more likely Ozzie would platoon Rasmus/Rios for the rest of the season.

KW would not let that happen, guaranteed. He may lack some balls in this rift over Viciedo but if he went out and got somebody like Rasmus I guarantee you he will be playing everyday.

"Kenny Williams shoots down the Colby Rasmus rumor. "That report is incorrect."

@ChuckGarfien twitter

Now what do we make out of this. KW has long wanted Rasmus for a while so this might be one of his tricks.

Edited by kapzk

QUOTE (kapzk @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 05:11 PM)
"Kenny Williams shoots down the Colby Rasmus rumor. "That report is incorrect."

@ChuckGarfien twitter

Now what do we make out of this. KW has long wanted Rasmus for a while so this might be one of his tricks.

Means nothing coming from Kenny.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
Did he say that, as reported, is incorrect? Meaning, maybe the reporters have the facts wrong in the names being tossed around?

That's what I gathered from it. If so, it's as much of a "confirmation" as you're ever going to get from KW.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Jul 25, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)
What GM has ever confirmed any trade rumor the media?

If KW really put in the "as reported" caveat, that's a lot different from a categorical denial.

Kenny: Well you tricky reporters got me. The actual deal is Edwin Jackson + thornton + a prospect. They are asking for Viciedo or Reed. I hope to get other parties interested in Jackson so we can get more bang for the buck. We have instructed Hawk and Stoney to start a disinformation campaign. Please can you bring your cameras into the war room. Please allow me to turn the big board around so you can get a good look at my wish list.