7/30- Red Sox vs White Sox

flavum

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:05 PM)
Please don't compare teams, again lay off the kool aid

I'm not comparing teams, and not on any kool aid. Read the standings. I know people love A ball prospects, but you don't give up a good chance to win a division by trading guys who can still be traded this winter right now.

People need to stop looking at W-L column and focus on the GB column. There is NO AMOUNT OF WINS that get you in to the playoffs. The only thing that matters is if you finish ahead of everyone else in your division.

We may not be .500, but we are still only 3 games back in the division, and that's all that matters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:07 PM)
This time we're stepping in a different direction. Forwards rather than back.

They just took 4 out of 5 from the teams in front of them and are 1-1 against one of the best teams in baseball and have perhaps their best pitcher going tomorrow. Be real.

Of course Lilly finally gets a hit.

Maybe that will give Ozzie the impetus he needs to play either Brent or DeAza tomorrow.

Ozzie must know that so many questions will come his way in the post-game and if he dares to start Rios again tomorrow, he'll never have the respect of any veteran Sox player again (if he's still tenuously holding onto it by the skin of his teeth).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
I'm not comparing teams, and not on any kool aid. Read the standings. I know people love A ball prospects, but you don't give up a good chance to win a division by trading guys who can still be traded this winter right now.

Danks, ok, he'll still have value this offseason. Starting pitching isn't available easily on the FA market.

A Corner OF bat is something you can get by spending money on the FA market or deciding you can develop one. It's harder to find at the deadline than it is in December.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
Danks, ok, he'll still have value this offseason. Starting pitching isn't available easily on the FA market.

A Corner OF bat is something you can get by spending money on the FA market or deciding you can develop one. It's harder to find at the deadline than it is in December.

What exactly is being offered for Quentin right now? I'll answer it for you, you have no idea. A lot of BS out there. The Sox will be able to move Quentin in the winter if they chose. Moving him now and not getting back guys that can help you win right away makes no sense for the Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
All the guys everyone wants traded for prospects can be traded for prospects this winter.

If they can make better deals now, they should do it.

This team isn't going to pass the Tigers.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)

Dude, I see the standings and understand you're point, but this team doesn't have the drive, focus, heart or fundamentals to go ahead and make the playoffs, they have no fight in them

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:13 PM)
What exactly is being offered for Quentin right now? I'll answer it for you, you have no idea. A lot of BS out there. The Sox will be able to move Quentin in the winter if they chose. Moving him now and not getting back guys that can help you win right away makes no sense for the Sox.

Whatever is being offered for him, it's greater than what would be offered for him if he has to compete with available free agent bats.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:14 PM)
Dude, I see the standings and understand you're point, but this team doesn't have the drive, focus, heart or fundamentals to go ahead and make the playoffs, they have no fight in them

Again, they just took 4 out of 5 against DET and CLE and have split the first 2 against BOS. If things are as bad as you say, why do you even pay attention unless misery is something you enjoy?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:09 PM)
They just took 4 out of 5 from the teams in front of them and are 1-1 against one of the best teams in baseball and have perhaps their best pitcher going tomorrow. Be real.

One of the many great things about the sport of baseball is that you learn the truth over the course of 162 games. Basketball can be flukey. Football is definitely flukey. Baseball 9 times out of 10 tells you the truth. We're over 100 games into the season and we're still below .500. Yeah, 3 or 4 games back, etc. But there's just no way you can realistically look at this product and think playoff team. No way. Let alone actually doing something were they to back in. For me, I'm no longer waiting for this offense to snap out of it. Four months is enough. The worst possible scenario would be to stand pat, finish 80-82, and go into the offseason with nowhere near the same kinda leverage you have right now with legitimate contenders looking to upgrade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
You don't know that, you assume it.

True, but assuming that he'd fetch a better price with less time before FA and more competition is a very poor assumption. it's probably true 1 time out of 30.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:17 PM)
One of the many great things about the sport of baseball is that you learn the truth over the course of 162 games. Basketball can be flukey. Football is definitely flukey. Baseball 9 times out of 10 tells you the truth. We're over 100 games into the season and we're still below .500. Yeah, 3 or 4 games back, etc. But there's just no way you can realistically look at this product and think playoff team. No way. Let alone actually doing something were they to back in. For me, I'm no longer waiting for this offense to snap out of it. Four months is enough. The worst possible scenario would be to stand pat, finish 80-82, and go into the offseason with nowhere near the same kinda leverage you have right now with legitimate contenders looking to upgrade.

Actually I think its the exact opposite. Basketball and football are far less fluky. The best team usually wins. In baseball with a pitcher, you basically have a different team every day. I've been very frustrated by the Sox this season, but giving up while 3 games behind the Detroit Tigers is cowardly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:18 PM)
True, but assuming that he'd fetch a better price with less time before FA and more competition is a very poor assumption. it's probably true 1 time out of 30.

Not really. Teams have budgets set these days. There may be even a bigger market for him next winter when more teams have available cash. There's only a couple teams on Quentin now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2011 -> 09:19 PM)
Actually I think its the exact opposite. Basketball and football are far less fluky. The best team usually wins. In baseball with a pitcher, you basically have a different team every day. I've been very frustrated by the Sox this season, but giving up while 3 games behind the Detroit Tigers is cowardly.

As a PR and business move, you're right. It's probably a bad move if they decided to trade a starting pitcher, Quentin, and Thornton in the next 18 hours.

That said, I know how this movie ends. It ain't happening this season.

---

Oh great, Ozzie announced Rios will start tomorrow.