Hey Soxtalk! You just made ESPN Chicago

Chisoxrd5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
I want to point out in no way does Soxtalk speak on that behalf. We allow posters to speak there minds but there has always been a line drawn in the sand and our posters 99.9% of the time respect that.

If people want to email Mr. Greenberg, you can do so. But if you do, be respectful and civil. I personally just reached out to him.

As the owner of this site I can flat out say if I saw that sort of post or comment, the post would have been removed and the member suspended or banned.

Which is why I jumped all over it when I read it Jason. I've been here long enough to know the way this place operates, and it's such an off base quote. I do wish Greenburg or an editor would've caught the way that paragraph was written, quoted or not.

Soxtalk is a passionate fan-run, fanatic Sox website, but it's never crossed the line described in this quote.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
Which is why I jumped all over it when I read it Jason. I've been here long enough to know the way this place operates, and it's such an off base quote. I do wish Greenburg or an editor would've caught the way that paragraph was written, quoted or not.

Soxtalk is a passionate fan-run, fanatic Sox website, but it's never crossed the line described in this quote.

Ya. I've been talking back and forth wtih the writer. Hopefully there will be some sort of edit or retraction.

How have you been?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
Well theres a million legal reasons why getting into libel/slander makes no sense, but the more practical reason is that truth is a defense.

First comment:

It gets scary.

Opinion, cant be libel or defamation.

Second Comment:

death threats

Fact, Im sure that if you go through all of the posts youll find some one (sarcastically or not) saying that they would like to kill XYZ. Even if its just another poster, it would still be true.

Third Comment:

Get out of here you Mexican.'This would be the most likely statement you could prove false, but even then Im not so sure that I cant believe in 1 game thread it wasnt said.

Everything that is said on this board is part of history, as a collective you may think that those statements are not representative of this site, but it does not mean that there arent 1 or 2 posters who may say something like above.

I cant imagine there will be a retraction, I cant imagine he will edit the piece, as there is simply no reason to.

If I write an article that says "CC Sabathia isnt a good hitter" doesCC get to write me and say "im a good pitcher I want a retraction"?

The third comment is defamatory against Soxtalk (if false) and probably actionable, but against Oz, Jr. (who said it), not the writer who just wrote what Jr said.

However, an additional reason why a claim wouldn't make sense is a likely lack of quantifiable damages. An entity like Soxtalk doesn't have "feelings" and can't suffer pain and humliation, etc. There likely would have to be a demonstrable loss of ad revenue or other economic harm that could be attributed directly to the statement.

Edited by PlaySumFnJurny

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Ya. I've been talking back and forth wtih the writer. Hopefully there will be some sort of edit or retraction.

How have you been?

All is well. I'll shoot you a PM later, I have to hop a flight home here in a minute. (Yeah I'm still doing the public acct deal).

Hopefully you score the edit!

QUOTE (Chisoxrd5 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 09:55 AM)
All is well. I'll shoot you a PM later, I have to hop a flight home here in a minute. (Yeah I'm still doing the public acct deal).

Hopefully you score the edit!

Ahaha. At least its summer for each of us. Although for me, it feels more like busy season.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
I love how the Guillen family continually criticizes the fan base with no repercussions.

If people are genuinely making anti-hispanic remarks or even threats against the Guillens, then they have every right to criticize them, and there's plenty of reason to think that stuff does happen. We just don't want it here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
If people are genuinely making anti-hispanic remarks or even threats against the Guillens, then they have every right to criticize them, and there's plenty of reason to think that stuff does happen. We just don't want it here.

What I took from Ozzie Jr.'s quote was pretty much him implying that this is a fan base and specifically this site is filled with racists.

Now it does happen, but I bet someone would have to spend all day to find a handful of blatantly racist quotes about Ozzie Guillen on this site, or all the other sox sites combined.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
What I took from Ozzie Jr.'s quote was pretty much him implying that this is a fan base and specifically this site is filled with racists.

Now it does happen, but I bet someone would have to spend all day to find a handful of blatantly racist quotes about Ozzie Guillen on this site, or all the other sox sites combined.

Remember, these guys are on twitter and have email accounts too...I wouldn't doubt that they get stuff on those accounts that should never be typed by any decent human being.

To be fair, I didnt take it that way at all.

I thought Ozzie Jr was pointing out that the fans can get pretty nasty towards his father. I have no doubt that its probably true those things have been said or written (maybe not here, but somewhere).

It was some what of a martyr statement.

I post here, I never thought for a second he was implying Im a racist. At worst I thought he was implying that some of our posters are less than eloquent when making their statements, and that I can agree with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)
Remember, these guys are on twitter and have email accounts too...I wouldn't doubt that they get stuff on those accounts that should never be typed by any decent human being.

That's very true. I am sure they get horrible things sent to them. Heck, everyone had Ozzie's e-mail awhile back. He actually responded to people, too.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)

I thought Ozzie Jr was pointing out that the fans can get pretty nasty towards his father. I have no doubt that its probably true those things have been said or written (maybe not here, but somewhere).

I post here, I never thought for a second he was implying Im a racist. At worst I thought he was implying that some of our posters are less than eloquent when making their statements, and that I can agree with.

LOL it's funny that you actually believe what you're typing here. Typical lawyer sentiment, where everyone can read and comprehend a sentence that CLEARLY implicates our site as both racist and guilty of inflammatory remarks, yet apparently there's deeper meaning that only you can view.

Is this the "even the guilty deserve representation" part of you coming out?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 01:29 PM)

People are way worse when they don't think their will be any consequence for their action. At least in a place like here, there is something like the ban stick to keep most people in line. In an email? No chance.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 4, 2011 -> 06:32 PM)

Badger, there was a direct example he gave of 'get out Mexican' or something.

That implied soxtalk is a rough bunch of lowlifes. The Mexican part was in a quote.

I just read this whole thread.

I don't like that the reporter said, 'I write what he says.'

ESPN is usually pretty thorough. The writer should have shot the site owner an email at that point or tried to call and see if the owner thought the site ever had racist comments.

It's true Ozzie Junior said it so the quote needs to be run, but the writer should expect some backlash from soxtalk.com's ownership at that point. He should run a short note at the end of the story now with the soxtalk owner's statement.

where everyonecan read and comprehend a sentence that CLEARLY implicates our site as both racist and guilty of inflammatory remarks, yet apparently there's deeper meaning that only you can view.

First of all your sentence is patently false, both the author and myself dont comprehend the paragraphs (its not a sentence) the way that you do. So either a) the author doesnt know what hes writing and I don't know what Im reading or b) you are reading it incorrectly.

Im going to go with B. I tried to be kind with how I wrote my first comment, to show that different people can read the same thing and have different interpretations.

Lets look at the staement:

"I think Chicago is just being Chicago," Ozzie Jr. said before Wednesday's game. "I went on this website, Soxtalk.com, and, wow. It gets to the point where you don't want to read what you're reading. Obviously you're going to have to have tough skin not to reply to it.

"It gets kind of scary sometimes with the stuff people write, death threats and, 'Get out of here you Mexican.' .

You'll note that the author broke it into 2 paragraphs. As Im sure you are aware, this indicates a break in thought, and youll notice that the paragraphs do indeed have 2 different thoughts.

Paragraph 1, quote 1 is referring to Soxtalk and how sometimes you "have to have tough skin not to reply".

He then moves onto a second paragraph, which indicates shift in thought. Youll notice that in the first paragraph references the specific, the second paragraph is general. Notice, "it gets kind of scare sometimes with the stuff people write", does not say "on the website" or make any reference to Soxtalk.

Why?

Because it clearly was referencing things that were said in general, not things that were specifically said on the site.

That implied soxtalk is a rough bunch of lowlifes. The Mexican part was in a quote.

It implied it TO YOU.

It did not imply it to me. At worst it implied to me that people on this site say negative remarks about Ozzie that may go over the line.

I read nonsense negative comments on this site every day about managers, players, etc. I guess Im not so bold as to say that there is not 1 member on this site, who hasnt said one of those things, thought one of those things, sent an email with one of those things.

I always forget that mob rules on this site and any voice of dissent is met with comments that attack the poster, instead of actually discussing the subject.