Brent Morel

VAfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Morel has gotten more of a pass because he's a rookie, he's good defensively, he's worked his ass off, and because he's not getting paid 8 digits a year. Simple, no?

It is just that simple. It's what we all knew going into the season. It's just an issue because of other general suckiness on offense.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do find it fairly incredible that he swings the bat as much as he does and yet only has 1 home run. However, I guess Joe Mauer only has 1 home run too.

I want to see good baserunning and fundamentals out of our young players more so than immediate above-average statistical production.

So tired of the mental errors.

If he learns to take a walk more often, he'll be a solid player. He'll never have a huge OBP but I think he can get it up to respectable numbers. Power should improve a bit as well based on what he did in the minors.

I'm actually fine with his season so far, I never expected him to contribute much at the plate but over the past few weeks he's starting to look more confident up there. I think we'll see a bit of a spike in his production over the last month & a half.

I remember in the offseason most "educated" Sox fans said that any offense from Morel would be gravy, considering his plus glove.

Ah, the good ol' days.... back when Adam Dunn and Alex Rios weren't destroying the city and urinating in everyone's cornflakes, back when we were still "All In"....

If Adam Dunn and Alex Rios had played within 80% of expectations, I don't think we'd be talking about Brent Morel's offensive output (or lackthereof).

This thread is seemingly just a reminder of how bad bad bad bad bad Dunn/Rios is.

QUOTE (Jillian Michaels' Abs @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
I remember in the offseason most "educated" Sox fans said that any offense from Morel would be gravy, considering his plus glove.

Ah, the good ol' days.... back when Adam Dunn and Alex Rios weren't destroying the city and urinating in everyone's cornflakes, back when we were still "All In"....

If Adam Dunn and Alex Rios had played within 80% of expectations, I don't think we'd be talking about Brent Morel's offensive output (or lackthereof).

This thread is seemingly just a reminder of how bad bad bad bad bad Dunn/Rios is.

Smells exactly like '06 Brian Anderson. I seriously doubt anybody said a sub-600 OPS would be acceptable. I know this is White Sox land. A land where young homegrown position players come to die. But a .587 OPS from your 3B in the AL is really, really, really bad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 05:37 PM)
Morel has gotten more of a pass because he's a rookie, he's good defensively, he's worked his ass off, and because he's not getting paid 8 digits a year. Simple, no?

Exactly. Plus he has an upside yet to be determined.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)

This.

Unless someone is cloning Mike Schmidt in their basement somewhere, maybe we could allow some of our young guys to develop instead of b****ing about them all the time.

If the 'seasoned veterans' were doing anything worth talking about then we wouldn't need to rip on the 9th hitter on our team.

Maybe Vizquel should play/start a little bit more? We still have a chance in our division. Maybe Vizquel's experience should be considered. Didn't we go on a nice run last year when Vizquel pretty much took over Teahen's starting job? And Vizquel could handle batting second.

I am not giving up on Morel for the future. Not saying that he will be a guaranteed success but he deserves more time in the future. At least, his defense is good.

However, we have to put out our best team right now. 3rd base is kinda a hole right now (for our offense)

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Maybe Vizquel should play/start a little bit more? We still have a chance in our division. Maybe Vizquel's experience should be considered. Didn't we go on a nice run last year when Vizquel pretty much took over Teahen's starting job? And Vizquel could handle batting second.

I am not giving up on Morel for the future. Not saying that he will be a guaranteed success but he deserves more time in the future. At least, his defense is good.

However, we have to put out our best team right now. 3rd base is kinda a hole right now (for our offense)

The difference between those 2 players is not going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
The difference between those 2 players is not going to make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Hmm. I don't know. Their stats are about the same for this year, however Vizquel is a lot more experienced especially down the stretch. I probably would take his experience right now.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Hmm. I don't know. Their stats are about the same for this year, however Vizquel is a lot more experienced especially down the stretch. I probably would take his experience right now.

I don't think experience is going to play that much of a factor. In fact, I'd argue that playing the younger player is going to be better because it will allow Vizquel to stay a bit fresher down the stretch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 03:51 PM)
I can make everyone fall in love with Brent Morel... All that needs to have happen is for Kenny to trade him.

I know what you're trying to say, and it's absolutely BS. No one on here acts like Getz is "the one that got away". People clamor for Daniel Hudson because he's damn good.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:49 PM)

Please no.

Omar is buzzkill.

If Omar starts starting a lot at third, yuk. Omar is too f***ing old to be a starter. He's fine in his current role.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
I know what you're trying to say, and it's absolutely BS. No one on here acts like Getz is "the one that got away". People clamor for Daniel Hudson because he's damn good.

I've seen a few posts lamenting the loss of Getz.

Oh god, remember the Nix vs. Getz debates?

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:26 PM)
They clamor for Brandon Allen too.

I think that trade is more about the fact that we got Pena. And honestly, every Sox fan should be allowed to be angry about having traded for him.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 9, 2011 -> 08:16 AM)
I think that trade is more about the fact that we got Pena. And honestly, every Sox fan should be allowed about having traded for him.

It's been a long time since anyone has b****ed about losing Brandon Allen. And now that the A's have him, he will sink into baseball obscurity...

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)

Looked damn good last night vs. the dangerous Astros