6/28 GT - SOX @ M's - 3:10pm CDT - WGN

knightni

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
I think if Kenny would of had his way Viciedo would have been up here 2 months ago. But Ozzie and his infinite wisdom thought that was a bad idea.

What is Kenny "The Genius" Williams's job then? What is he responsible for?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
It could be worse, we could be Mariners fans. Do they suck.

They do have some nice young players though...they need to trade Felix to the Yankees or Red Sox for some quality prospects, because they're most likely not going to be winning anything through the term of his current contract.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
What is Kenny "The Genius" Williams's job then? What is he responsible for?

Unfortunately, no one is quite sure who actually has the authority here.

Normally, you do blame the GM because the Manager isn't allowed to openly defy the GM on decisions. Otherwise, teh GM would fire the manager.

It's been made abundantly clear here though that the GM does not have the authority on his own to fire the manager, the manager has extra protection thanks to the owner.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:17 PM)
They do have some nice young players though...they need to trade Felix to the Yankees or Red Sox for some quality prospects, because they're most likely not going to be winning anything through the term of his current contract.

Why? They've got Felix locked up for the next 3 years. There's no reason to think that they can't be competitive in 3 years if they make good decisions elswehre.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)

Normally, you do blame the GM because the Manager isn't allowed to openly defy the GM on decisions. Otherwise, teh GM would fire the manager.

It's been made abundantly clear here though that the GM does not have the authority on his own to fire the manager, the manager has extra protection thanks to the owner.

No gm has the authority to fire a manager on their own. Not a one. That is what the higher ups are there for... the final say.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)

A recipe for a crap .500 team last weekend in August. Clean the house up this offseason.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:20 PM)
No gm has the authority to fire a manager on their own. Not a one. That is what the higher ups are there for... the final say.

The GM is supposed to be the higher-up. An owner making baseball decisions is a recipe for disaster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:20 PM)
Why? They've got Felix locked up for the next 3 years. There's no reason to think that they can't be competitive in 3 years if they make good decisions elswehre.

Well, I disagree. I think they might be competitve the final year of his contract, and by then, they're paying him $20 million...

I think they'd be better off building and trying to make a run in 3-4 years...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
I think they'd be better off building and trying to make a run in 3-4 years...

I don't think any franchise wants to commit to a 3-4 year rebuilding process. At least not if they can afford >$75 million a year. The Pirates, etc., they can commit to things like that.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:29 PM)
And somehow the Captain gets another hit.

His numbers may suggest otherwise, but this has been his most impressive season in my eyes. Paulie has done nothing but hit all year and even after the nagging knee injury.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
The GM is supposed to be the higher-up. An owner making baseball decisions is a recipe for disaster.

So you are telling me you truly believe a general manager can fire a manager on a whim (can be a legitimate reason even) without running it by someone higher than himself for the final say. If you really believe that, it's simply niave. This works both ways. The general manager may have a great relationship with the manager... but if the higher ups hate the guy... he is as good as gone. It's really that simple. The same goes for all sports. Generally there is a joint decision, it's rarely ever one man, and you are right, if and when it ever is, it is indeed the owner.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 28, 2011 -> 05:32 PM)
So you are telling me you truly believe a general manager can fire a manager on a whim (can be a legitimate reason even) without running it by someone higher than himself for the final say. If you really believe that, it's simply niave. This works both ways. The general manager may have a great relationship with the manager... but if the higher ups hate the guy... he is as good as gone. It's really that simple. The same goes for all sports. Generally there is a joint decision, it's rarely ever one man, and you are right, if and when it ever is, it is indeed the majority owner.

If a general manager believes that a manager should be fired and he is told no by someone in ownership, then he should resign.