Williams On Hot Seat Too?

Marty34

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Let's be honest here, this is an extraordinarily difficult team to manage because of the awful performances of three of the four highest paid players.

That is the biggest indictment of all against Ozzie, not for him. He has all of these really high priced players on the team, who have been awful, and he keeps playing them. That is a reflection on his job performance personally.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Let's be honest here, this is an extraordinarily difficult team to manage because of the awful performances of three of the four highest paid players.

totally agreed. which is why i was beating my head against the wall when ozzie continued to run Dunn and Rios out there everyday over the last month when it was painfully obvious that they were not breaking out of their slumps, even when kw went public and said "play the best players, not the highest paid players"

the roster has sucked, and the management of the roster has been equally as bad

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:21 PM)
totally agreed. which is why i was beating my head against the wall when ozzie continued to run Dunn and Rios out there everyday over the last month when it was painfully obvious that they were not breaking out of their slumps, even when kw went public and said "play the best players, not the highest paid players"

the roster has sucked, and the management of the roster has been equally as bad

And why Viciedo should have been up here 3 months ago

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
Honestly, tony, if you haven't seen this team fail because of Ozzie over the last half decade, then there is nothing that will change your mind. There is a reason why it seems that about 95-99% of fans want him gone.

I don't believe managers in baseball play that much into the outcome of a game. I think the most important part of his job is getting everyone to believe in him and want to play for him. Ozzie does that, for the most part. There was a recent survey that showed Ozzie was the 6th most popular manager to play for. Heard it on the score.

If the players don't want to play for him, like a Mike Quade type, then the guy has to go.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't believe managers in baseball play that much into the outcome of a game. I think the most important part of his job is getting everyone to believe in him and want to play for him. Ozzie does that, for the most part. There was a recent survey that showed Ozzie was the 6th most popular manager to play for. Heard it on the score.

If the players don't want to play for him, like a Mike Quade type, then the guy has to go.

I'd like to see this survey, because Ozzie was listed as second to last a few seasons ago.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:19 AM)
That is the biggest indictment of all against Ozzie, not for him. He has all of these really high priced players on the team, who have been awful, and he keeps playing them. That is a reflection on his job performance personally.

If they were on the last years of their contracts, I might agree with you. These guys are going to be around for a while, how do you justify not playing them the rest of this year and opening 2012 with them as starters?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
If they were on the last years of their contracts, I might agree with you. These guys are going to be around for a while, how do you justify not playing them the rest of this year and opening 2012 with them as starters?

When Walker says he can't help the players make the necessary adjustments DURING the year, that means to me that you might as well give up on Dunn and Rios for this season and just hope for the best in 2012 (that being they both retire this offseason). I don't think as many people on here would have been begging the Sox to bench Dunn if Josh Kroeger was our best option in the minors.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

I've said it earlier, and I will say it again. If you think you are in it, you dont' play them. If you are out of it, you play them for next years sake.

Also, players performance does fall on the managers back, like it or not. People get fired because their employees dont' to their jobs. Dunn and Rios have not done their jobs. Peavy at least has the injury excuse.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)

i think their stats are justification enough

At this point I think both need to go. I don't trust Ozzie to keep his personal gripes separate from his managing and I don't trust Kenny to select another manager or develop a farm system, or trade for players that don't suck.

We should probably clean house, or let Hahn take over and hire his own manager.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:31 AM)
Their stats say they don't even deserve a spot on the roster. Why are they even on the bench?

like i said, the blame is distributed equally for me, i am certainly not absolving kw in the same way you do ozzie.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Their stats say they don't even deserve a spot on the roster. Why are they even on the bench?

Their contracts say they do deserve a spot on the bench at least . Not going to eat all that money for all those years. But the same reasoning doesn't say they must continue to get AB's this season while they are very bad and there are better options.