Williams On Hot Seat Too?

Marty34

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
yes they are bad this season, but I think 6 division titles in the last decade speaks volumes more than their injury-filled failure this year. They get more out of less talent then we do year after year.

And this year who is rescuing the Sox team during injuries and bad years? Their farm system.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 03:25 PM)
And this year who is rescuing the Sox team during injuries and bad years? Their farm system.

Due to organization failure it could be too little too late. We knew Viciedo could outproduce Dunn and Rios months ago.

The Twins haven't gotten as much out of Valencia this season, and his defensive deficiencies have gotten under Gardenhire's skin a lot.

Trading Ramos for Capps has turned into an absolute bust, especially when it's clear Mauer should be catching less and that would give them a catcher who could hit over the Mendoza Line.

All the minor leaguers they called up to replace basically their entire bullpen have sucked. Their AA and AAA teams have had the lowest winning percentage in the minors the last two seasons (sure, win % alone doesn't mean you're not doing any development, but it's one prominent indicator....remember how well BIRM played the first half of 2009?)

Hoey for Hardy is one of the biggest head-scratchers in baseball, and then replacing him with Nishioka exacerbated the situation.

Revere has played competently...but he's nothing but another version of Span, with a 670-725 OPS likely and not enough pop or arm.

Hicks and Gibson seemingly remain their two high upside guys...but I haven't followed their system much this season. Some of their kids like Plouffe that have shown offensive promise have been just as bad defensively. In retrospect, trading for Delmon Young (although it paid off in 2010) really weakened their starting rotation and cost them Bartlett, who fit perfectly with that system. Same with Punto...those guys always seemed to be a lot more than the sum of their parts. Whereas we always have come up with the opposite....tons of talent which somehow doesn't produce together as a team.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
I like these comments by Oz:

“Let’s get this straight: I’m the face of the franchise,’’ Guillen said. “People can say what they want. There’s a lot of blame going around out there, but I blame myself because I guess I’m the one with the balls around here. It’s not because I’m cocky or an arrogant guy, but I can leave Chicago with my head up. That’s what’s important to me.

“Jerry is the one that has to decide on if [Kenny and I] can make it work. We’re doing it, getting by. We’re not best friends, but we make due. We’re professional. We do what’s best for the ballclub. Our job is more important than our friendship.

“I do know I’m trying to win games, period.’’

I still don't see how Ozzie can get the boot considering this team's average record with this s***-ass lineup. You don't fire a manager who has a WS title to his credit and an average record this year.

Get rid of Kenny; keep Ozzie. What's so difficult about that? Ozzie is right. He is the face of the franchise.

I'd say odds of both taking the fall though are 90/10. Like the article said, this is costing Jerry money now.

I'm glad you like them because I sure as hell don't. What an egomaniac, and a childish one at that.

Ozzie's comments are something you'd expect out of a reality show contestant.

I just finished re-reading "The Summer of '49" and can't even begin to fathom someone like Ted Williams or DiMaggio saying "Hey, I'm the face of the franchise...you need me more than I need you!" Of course, back then, you can be sure they thought it....but their dignity would preclude them from ever saying it outloud or to a reporter. Imagine Puckett, Gwynn, Ripken, Brett, Yount, Mattlingly etc., saying something like that even in the 80's or 90's.

Sure, times change, but being humble and respectful towards the sport that supports you and your family so luxuriously shouldn't.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:44 AM)
I was surprised it wasn't posted already. As far as batting Rios 4th, you have more outs in that lineup than him and maybe it's best you don't bat them - Rios, Morel, Beckham - back-to-back-to back.

That is exactly what should be done. Put any and all sub .300 players together at the bottom of the lineup where they're less likely to kill rallies. Or don't play them at all.

Chuck Garfien

Ozzie Guillen says he'll want a contract extension from White Sox this off-season. He's signed through 2012.

1 minute ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Chuck Garfien

Guillen: "One thing I make clear, I don't think I'll be back here for 1 year contract, and not know about the next year."

56 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)
Chuck Garfien

Ozzie Guillen says he'll want a contract extension from White Sox this off-season. He's signed through 2012.

Chuck Garfien

Guillen: "One thing I make clear, I don't think I'll be back here for 1 year contract, and not know about the next year."

I just want him to go away. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
If they were on the last years of their contracts, I might agree with you. These guys are going to be around for a while, how do you justify not playing them the rest of this year and opening 2012 with them as starters?

Easy. Didn't Ozzie tell you he had balls? All he has to do is show Dunn the stat sheet where it says Dunn .163 and show Rios the same sheet. It will say Rios .212 and also note Alex doesn't seem very interested in playing , and when he played them everyday, he still was hitting them 4th or 5th. You'll never admit it, but Ozzie has had a bad year with the line up card.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Chuck Garfien

Chuck Garfien

Ozzie is a genius. He's taking all the attention away from his team that won 4 in a row so everyone can talk about his status. He cried last year about his option being picked up, now he's crying about an extension. Bu-bye Ozzie. Please take Oney with you.

QUOTE (tonyho7476 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Spiegs is suggesting that Ozzie is doing stuff just to spite Kenny, like batting Rios 4th. Would he do that? Can't we all just get along?

I think he definitely would. Ozzie seems like a little, spiteful man.

I dont know who this Spiegel guy is, but I like him.

Cowley did say that had a fight over Pierre, KW wanted him gone Ozzie refused, and he said that KW is lying when he said Ozzie can play who he wants. So in Joe's and Oney's and Ozzie's little world, Ozzie played Pierre because KW wanted him out and played Rios and Dunn because big bad KW forced him. Isn't that a little contradictary? KW can't get Pierre off the roster because of Ozzie, but Ozzie can't get Dunn and Rios out of the line up and batting 4th and 5th because of KW. Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 05:49 PM)
This talk is taking away from our run at the AL Central title. We should be concentrating on that. I have to believe the off season will be interesting and when these things get settled

Unless KW is canned and replaced with an Ozzie lover, if Ozzie sticks to what he says, which he doesn't quite often, he gone. The best thing would be both gone. Their childishness has gotten in the way of winning baseball games. They both need to put their dicks back in their pants and do their jobs.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:29 PM)
Easy. Didn't Ozzie tell you he had balls? All he has to do is show Dunn the stat sheet where it says Dunn .163 and show Rios the same sheet. It will say Rios .212 and also note Alex doesn't seem very interested in playing , and when he played them everyday, he still was hitting them 4th or 5th. You'll never admit it, but Ozzie has had a bad year with the line up card.

Cmon. The new manager will have Dunn batting third or fourth to open next season and Rios starting in center. Unless the GM figures a way to dump them both or convince Jerry it'd be wise to start over with the new GM/manager and just release them.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 06:09 PM)
Cmon. The new manager will have Dunn batting third or fourth to open next season and Rios starting in center. Unless the GM figures a way to dump them both or convince Jerry it'd be wise to start over with the new GM/manager and just release them.

Dunn will have spring training to show if anything has changed. If a new manager took over a month ago, I really doubt Adam Dunn would be batting 4th, especially against LHP. I know you love Ozzie, but he makes mistakes, and has made several this year. As soon as he moved Dunn down to the 7 hole, the team got a lot better. Now that he's not even playing.......

You know what sucks about this all? Today should have been a good day for the Sox organization with them making up ground while getting contributions from young guys as well as Buehrle pitching a gem. Instead, Ozzie's posse decide today would be a good day to complain in the media about how all of this, and today was a real crappy day for Sox fans. You can no longer use the "he's trying to take the negative attention off of the players" BS excuse.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 05:14 PM)
Chuck Garfien

Chuck Garfien

So Ozzie is saying he won't honor his contract next season unless they extend him for another year - so he could refuse to honor his contract that year unless they give him another.

Just go away, Ozzie. You don't want to be here and we don't want you either.