Williams On Hot Seat Too?

Marty34

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:40 AM)
Their contracts say they do deserve a spot on the bench at least . Not going to eat all that money for all those years. But the same reasoning doesn't say they must continue to get AB's this season while they are very bad and there are better options.

I don't know that there are better options right now. When Quentin comes back that's a different story.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Don't forget Manny.

I don't know if that move belongs on the list. It was a desperation move made for a team on its last breath. It only cost a few million, and I really doubt that money would have changed anything this season.

Plus, I thought Mannypalooza was worth it for the entertainment value alone.

All you need to know about Kenny Williams:

11 years

2 playoffs (assuming this year they won't make it), in the biggest market, in the weakest division

3 bad years the last three, with multiple mistakes

A poor relationship with his manager

A poor farm system

The Sox entered the season "all-in". When you go all in and you lose, you have to leave the table. That means Kenny has to go. And I don't want to hear about him getting promoted either. His stamp shouldn't be on this team in any way anymore. He needs to go.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
Plain and simple, Rios should not be starting anymore. I can't believe people are saying he's been better of late, as he's 9 for his last 52. Play De Aza in CF and Lillibridge in RF. If you have the guts to bench Dunn, then bench Rios (still can't get over he didn't know the game was done last night).

You can't deny there was a few weeks, spread apart, including the week of games in Minnesota and Baltimore, and then last week, where Rios was hitting the ball very hard and did knock in some crucial runs. Unfortunately, that success has been short-lived and few and far between as advanced scouts have made it clear not to leave anything middle-in to Rios and force him to hit pitches out over the plate, which he has very rarely proven he can do.

Why Ozzie chose to put him in the cleanup spot, however, is anyone's guess.

Regardless, the experiment has failed and it is indeed time to put Dayan there.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:43 AM)
Don't forget Manny.

KW gets a pass on Manny and Dunn as far as I am concerned. Manny was acquired for nothing and was at the end of his contract. Dunn was by all indications a perfect fit for the Sox.

Rios was underperforming in Toronto and had a bad contract there. Peavy benefitted from the same stadium that made Linebrink seem competent and was coming off of a foot injury.

A new GM needs to be put in place as soon as the season is over as there are some big things that need to get done.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Lets be honest. They both suck and need to go.

Let me ask you this, Sqwert...

Considering what a buffoon most of you think Ozzie is, both in his treatment of players and the way he manages a ballgame, how can you fairly evaluate KW's performance when the manager of this team has such an effect on the product he puts on the field?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Let me ask you this, Sqwert...

Considering what a buffoon most of you think Ozzie is, both in his treatment of players and the way he manages a ballgame, how can you fairly evaluate KW's performance when the manager of this team has such an effect on the product he puts on the field?

That's a fair question. I'd be more willing to give him another year without Ozzie to see how the team responds.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
At this point I think both need to go. I don't trust Ozzie to keep his personal gripes separate from his managing and I don't trust Kenny to select another manager or develop a farm system, or trade for players that don't suck.

We should probably clean house, or let Hahn take over and hire his own manager.

What if Ozzie is a Hahn guy?

Ozzie and Joe must really be scared, because he is on the warpath. I do love the irony of Ozzie's lapdog tweeting about other writers hugging Kenny's leg. Joe is practically humping Ozzie's leg over the past couple of weeks.

Tweet-fest Cowardly-style

And the idea that KW is given a new VP title, Hahn is made GM and Oz stays - not an option at least two of the three would settle for.

...KW will then walk off with the Trib's columnist-by-default dragging behind, as he hugs KW's leg.

....Oz is his man, he hasn't spoken to anyone else, and the focus is on the 2011 season ... heard it last year, until the truth came out.

Here's how today will play out: KW will grab his media mouthpieces, let them know that all is well - one big happy family......

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Ozzie and Joe must really be scared, because he is on the warpath. I do love the irony of Ozzie's lapdog tweeting about other writers hugging Kenny's leg. Joe is practically humping Ozzie's leg over the past couple of weeks.

Tweet-fest Cowardly-style

How is this guy allowed to cover the team still?

I understand that everyone has a right to tweet, but is it not clear that Cowley clearly cannot cover the team objectively at this point?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
KW gets a pass on Manny and Dunn as far as I am concerned. Manny was acquired for nothing and was at the end of his contract. Dunn was by all indications a perfect fit for the Sox.

Rios was underperforming in Toronto and had a bad contract there. Peavy benefitted from the same stadium that made Linebrink seem competent and was coming off of a foot injury.

A new GM needs to be put in place as soon as the season is over as there are some big things that need to get done.

$4 million bucks for 20 games or so is most definitely something.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
That's a fair question. I'd be more willing to give him another year without Ozzie to see how the team responds.

I'm guessing poorly as usual. The team hasnt been underachieving because management hasnt given them enough talent to win. Dare we forget Ozzie's horrendous in game managing decisions and horrific lineups? Both of them need to go, stat.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
I was surprised it wasn't posted already. As far as batting Rios 4th, you have more outs in that lineup than him and maybe it's best you don't bat them - Rios, Morel, Beckham - back-to-back-to back.

Think of it this way. Get six guys who are hitting stacked up there instead of breaking the performers up with almost instant outs. Leave a lot more runners on base inserting non-performers in between the folks getting on base

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:12 AM)
How is this guy allowed to cover the team still?

I understand that everyone has a right to tweet, but is it not clear that Cowley clearly cannot cover the team objectively at this point?

Regardless of his viewpoint this is the kind of stuff reporters should be digging up.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:30 AM)
what exactly did he just dig up in that made up scenario?

This . . .

There have been at least two known heated blowups between Guillen and Williams, according to sources. But even more significant is the recent talk in baseball circles that the White Sox have been getting a feel for managerial candidates. Sources said that also included renewing talks with the Florida Marlins about compensation for Guillen with the team set to open its new stadium next season.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
I'm guessing poorly as usual. The team hasnt been underachieving because management hasnt given them enough talent to win. Dare we forget Ozzie's horrendous in game managing decisions and horrific lineups? Both of them need to go, stat.

?

I'm confused.