5 reasons to still have hope

Greg Hibbard

1) The 2007 Colorado Rockies. 68-65 on August 29th, the Rockies went on to win an astonishing 22 of their last 30 games to finish with a 90-73 record, a wildcard berth, and ultimately, a trip to the world series.

2) The 2008 LA Dodgers. 65-70 on August 29th, the Dodgers overcame a 4.5 game deficit to stun the Diamondbacks, finishing their season with a 19-8 record and the NL west crown.

3) The 2009 Minnesota Twins. 64-65 on August 29th, the Twins overcame another 4.5 game deficit to overtake the Tigers by one game, posting a 23-11 record over their last 4 weeks.

4) The 2006 San Diego Padres. 67-65 on August 29th, and in the thick of a 5-way scrum for the NL wild card that separated teams by one game, the Padres posted a 21-9 record over their final 30 games to finish in a dead heat for the division (ultimately they were assigned the wildcard by tiebreaker)

5) The 2003 Chicago Cubs. 69-64 on August 29th, and in the thick of a three way race for the division, the Cubs put it together when it counted the most and reeled off 19 of their last 31 to win the division by 1 game over Houston.

It happens virtually every year, guys. A team gets hot in September and pulls off a come from behind division victory.

With our pitching, WHY NOT US?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
If we can take 4 of the remaining 5 this week, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

I'm not discounting that, but all this guy does is scrap and scratch for optimism. And taking 4 of 5 is always a hard thing to do.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
I'm not discounting that, but all this guy does is scrap and scratch for optimism. And taking 4 of 5 is always a hard thing to do.

No, that's not all I do. Look back on my post history prior to this season.

I happen to think this team is unusually poised to succeed because of its pitching. If they had a .300 team BA and a 4.5 team ERA I would be way less optimistic. I think a 23-17 record since the break (and a 15-7 record over the past 22), as well as the first winning August in forever are reasons not to QUITE throw in the towel yet (after the Det series next week we'll know everything)

A team with a mediocre record at the end of August comes from behind and steals the division almost every year. If we assume that it happens in most years, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that either Cleveland or the White Sox are the most likely candidates to pull if off this season?

It's nice that the 3 games @ DET are already this weekend. Either DET ends it for good, or the Sox get back in the race. In all likelihood though, the Sox will stay just on the outskirts of the race. Close enough to consider the thought, but far enough to make it highly unlikely. That seems to be the theme of 2011

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
No, that's not all I do. Look back on my post history prior to this season.

I happen to think this team is unusually poised to succeed because of its pitching. If they had a .300 team BA and a 4.5 team ERA I would be way less optimistic. I think a 23-17 record since the break (and a 15-7 record over the past 22), as well as the first winning August in forever are reasons not to QUITE throw in the towel yet (after the Det series next week we'll know everything)

A team with a mediocre record at the end of August comes from behind and steals the division almost every year. If we assume that it happens in most years, wouldn't it be a safe assumption that either Cleveland or the White Sox are the most likely candidates to pull if off this season?

That's a big IF.

And the Sox are on a 5 game winning streak, so of course the last 22 games should have a decent record. This team has yet to show that it can win after going above .500 and keep it. The next week will be very interesting to watch, needless to say.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)

This is a f***ing fan site for the team...I think it's a little more bizarre how much doom and gloom comes from most of you, considering you come here every day, than it is weird for a guy that posts here to be optimistic.

Seems like you guys are the real gluttons for punishment.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
I spent 5 minutes looking at data and came up with a team in every year from 2006-2009.

I spent two seconds and thought about the Sox this year and their inability to win consistently after getting to .500.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 09:18 AM)

What's wrong with optimism ? He backs it up with valid points. He gave good examples of reasons for hope. Some of us believe in our team regardless of abundant pessimism.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
I spent two seconds and thought about the Sox this year and their inability to win consistently after getting to .500.

Which applies to every team from 2006-2009 I mentioned

Funny how those teams still went to the playoffs and everything

I looked back and tried to make them non-playoff teams but I just couldn't get it to work

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
What's wrong with optimism ? He backs it up with valid points. He gave good examples of reasons for hope. Some of us believe in our team regardless of abundant pessimism.

I'm not discounting that it can happen, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely and stated my reasons. So, where was the fault?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)

It also appears that we have seen the last of regular playing time for Dunn and Rios (once CQ is back). That fact alone should be reason for optimism.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Which applies to every team from 2006-2009 I mentioned

Funny how those teams still went to the playoffs and everything

I looked back and tried to make them non-playoff teams but I just couldn't get it to work

Oh, Im sorry, were these teams built just like the Sox, along with all the same external factors? Do they have better, worse, or the same talent/leadership/management/coaches?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
It also appears that we have seen the last of regular playing time for Dunn and Rios (once CQ is back). That fact alone should be reason for optimism.

I'm loving the youth movement, but I'm not counting on them in pulling us over the Tigers.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Oh, Im sorry, were these teams built just like the Sox, along with all the same external factors? Do they have better, worse, or the same talent/leadership/management/coaches?

The White Sox might have the best pitching of the group. And with good pitching anything can happen.

All of the Tigers fans I run into seem to remember these two years pretty clearly. They're not counting any chickens before their eggs have hatched, which is reasonable.

5. 2009 Detroit Tigers

The 2009 Tigers spent 164 days in first place in the American League Central - from May 10 until the final day - and had a home game four days before the season ended against the second-place Minnesota Twins with a chance to clinch the division. They lost that one, and the Twins swept the next three at home while the Tigers won once to force a one-game playoff after the regular season. The Twins won 6-5 in 12 innings in a classic game, one the Tigers led in the 10th inning in the final regular-season game in the Metrodome. Detroit is the only team to blow a three-game lead with four to play

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehi...ntcollapses.htm

On August 7, the Tigers were 40 games above .500 (76-36) and cruising. They would lose their next five games, and the last six weeks of the season were punctuated by a nosedive, as Plácido Polanco's separated shoulder and suddenly silent bats led to a 19-31 record in the last 50 games of the season.

Only the big cushion built in the summer saved the Tigers from what would have been baseball's most statistically infamous collapse, but even that cushion couldn't save a division title. On October 1, despite a rare relief appearance from Kenny Rogers, the Tigers fell out of the top spot in the American League Central with a 10-8 extra-inning loss to the Kansas City Royals in their last regular season game. Detroit lost their last five games, all at home, against the Toronto Blue Jays and the Royals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Detroit_Tigers_season