5 reasons to still have hope

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
Haha, nobody ever crowned Cleveland. We said they could compete for the division and that they couldn't be outright written off as you had done. The fact that they are half a game behind us and were ahead of us through the last week of August shows that indeed we were correct. And if the Sox still have a chance, so does Cleveland.

I don't think you can call anything currently happening in the AL Central "competing"

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
All of the Tigers fans I run into seem to remember these two years pretty clearly. They're not counting any chickens before their eggs have hatched, which is reasonable.

http://baseball.about.com/od/majorleaguehi...ntcollapses.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Detroit_Tigers_season

To me this is the biggest factor. Detroit has a history of wilting under pressure.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't know about that - go over to Motown sports and you they're already plotting their playoff rosters. They don't fear the Sox one bit.

People who live in Detroit, don't exactly have the highest IQs... Otherwise they wouldn't live in Detroit.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
We already know your opinion, no need to reiterate

I'm pretty sure we know everyones opinion on this. I mean, one of these threads pops up every time we go on a mini winning streak only to fall back right in line with our .500 ways.

I get that people are excited about the kids(who the hell wouldn't be) but it's still not a good enough team to make up 5 games in the last month of the season. Now, if some of these changes were made 2-3 months ago like everyone in the f***in world(minus are fantastic organization) knew needed to happen then ya, we'd have a good chance to win this thing.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm going to watch every game down the stretch and hope for the best and I'm expecting us to get within 2 or 3 games of the division lead but we wont win the division, not going to happen.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
I get that people are excited about the kids(who the hell wouldn't be) but it's still not a good enough team to make up 5 games in the last month of the season.

You don't need to have a good team to make up 5 games the last month of the season.

You don't even necessarily need to play all that well to make up 5 games the last month of the season, if the other team completely collapses.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
You don't need to have a good team to make up 5 games the last month of the season.

You don't even necessarily need to play all that well to make up 5 games the last month of the season, if the other team completely collapses.

It's hard to have a collapse when every 5th day you have a 90% chance of winning.

Don't forget, Detroit is playing KC.

We have to win just to stay five back.

I agree with Rowand's post. It's way too late, but I'll still watch as many games as I can as the Oz/KW era ends.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
With the additions of De Aza, Flowers, and Viciedo seemingly injecting some life into this team, the possibility certainly exists.

Agreed i just hope its not too little too late.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 06:33 PM)
KC has and can win games. And they enjoy being spoilers.

Hard to win more than one of the four-game series in Detroit.

If I knew Tank, DeAza and Flowers would keep playing I'd be more hopeful.

I expect Dunn back soon. And he's still batting Rios fourth. I agree with the post about enjoying the movie as it plays out, but I think now that we're two over .500 it's time to lose 4 in a row and be two under again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
Do you know how bad KC's starting pitching is? Do you know how bad KC is?

Do you know how hard it is to take 3 of 4 from any team? Just assuming Detroit will take 3 of 4 is silliness. They might well do so, but seriously, GMAFB.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
Do you know how hard it is to take 3 of 4 from any team? Just assuming Detroit will take 3 of 4 is silliness. They might well do so, but seriously, GMAFB.

Check KC's record in four game road series. They drop 4 and 3 like nothing.

This is a bad baseball team playing a team that wants to win a division and is at home.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
Last time I checked, neither the Tigers or White Sox were known for their second half runs. I get that we just swept a god awful Mariners team and won last night against a Twins team that I don't even recognize. But we've seen this movie before. They're going to HAVE to beat Detroit. And when I say that I'm talking a minimum of 5-1 against them and play pretty much lights out against everybody else.

That is my biggest concern. They could beat up Detroit and get "Chen'd" by the Royals.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 30, 2011 -> 11:13 PM)
That is my biggest concern. They could beat up Detroit and get "Chen'd" by the Royals.

Could totally see the Royals beating up on us. They play good ball in April and September year in and year out. But just suck in the summer months.

Bottom line, I never would have thought in June that I would be paying attention to the scoreboard in September. IF they pulled it out, it would be one of the most thrilling regular seasons in modern Sox history. I'd hate to miss it because I was thinking they don't have a chance and basically crap over all the optimism. Realistically, I really doubt they can pull it out. But I gave it zero chance a month ago.