Axelrod and Reed showing they belong

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...sox-they-belong

Axelrod, Reed showing Sox they belong

September, 14, 2011

By Doug Padilla

CHICAGO – As recently as last month, general manager Kenny Williams scoffed at the notion that the White Sox’s farm system had nothing much to offer.

“I hear that [criticism], but we have this guy, and this guy and that guy,” Williams said.

[+] EnlargeDylan Axelrod

Jerry Lai/US PresswireDylan Axelrod was in line for his first big league win on Wednesday.

We’ll go ahead and say that This Guy No. 1 is Zach Stewart. This Guy No. 2 can be Addison Reed. And That Guy might actually be Dylan Axelrod.

Axelrod was the latest of the White Sox’s young pitchers to impress over the last two months, giving up just two runs over six innings to the Detroit Tigers. He was left with a no-decision when the bullpen couldn’t protect a three-run led in the ninth inning. The Tigers won it 6-5 in 10 innings.

"It's nice to get individual accolades like wins and things but it's a team game,” Axelrod said. “Unfortunately we came out on the losing end but I was happy with what I did and just want to continue to build off that.”

Armed with what appeared to be nothing more than a 90-mph fastball, Axelrod proved that looks can be deceiving. In his second career appearance and first career major-league start, the right-hander changed speeds and used pinpoint accuracy to befuddle the hottest offense in the game.

“He threw great; he deserved a win,” catcher A.J. Pierzynski said. “He pitched really well. He changed speeds, moved the ball in and out, up and down. He threw really well for his first big league start to go out and pitch the way he did. It was fun to watch and nice to see.”

OK, so maybe there wasn’t Austin Jackson, Magglio Ordonez, Alex Avila, Jhonny Peralta and White Sox killer Ryan Raburn in the Tigers’ lineup, but Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez did occupy the heart of the order. Raburn and Avila came in later to hit ninth-inning home runs that tied the game.

Axelrod is expected to get another start on Tuesday during a doubleheader at Cleveland.

“Well you know, it's a shame,” manager Ozzie Guillen said. “This kid's pitching very well and all the sudden we just blew it for him. It was a very nice day. You see this kid having success in his first time in the big leagues and all of the sudden, poof, another bad day for the White Sox.”

There might be less of those bad days of Stewart, Reed and Axelrod keep improving. Reed is starting to look like he could start next season in the White Sox’s bullpen.

The right-hander, who was drafted in the third round last season, has delivered three consecutive scoreless outings after giving up a run in his big-league debut.

Where Axelrod’s road took him from independent baseball to the White Sox in just two years, Reed might have had an even more impressive road by moving from low Single-A, to high Single-A, Double-A and Triple-A this season alone before landing with the White Sox.

“He has a great future,” Guillen said of Reed. “I saw him go through the minor league system so fast and I wonder why. That’s why. This kid every time we put him out there, he looks better. He has been facing pretty good hitters too. He’s another good one that comes up.”

I'd have to check gameday to confirm, but his 'nothing more than 90' fastball sat 91-92 regularly. That's not blazing, but it's certainly MLB cailber speed.

I saw someone else bring this up recently, but I'd trade Santos this offseason with the hopes of having Reed close. Maybe line up a vet for a one-year deal while Reed grows into the spot, but he should be that good if he can handle the pressure.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
I'd have to check gameday to confirm, but his 'nothing more than 90' fastball sat 91-92 regularly. That's not blazing, but it's certainly MLB cailber speed.

I saw someone else bring this up recently, but I'd trade Santos this offseason with the hopes of having Reed close. Maybe line up a vet for a one-year deal while Reed grows into the spot, but he should be that good if he can handle the pressure.

We're going to need at least 1 extra bullpen arm next year if no one else is signed if we want to move Sale to the rotation. Or hell, even if we want to stop the rotating door of Gray/Bruney/et al.. There's no good reason to trade Sergio just to try someone else out as the closer...Crain + Santos + Reed + Thornton makes for one possibly monstrously good setup/Closer group.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)
We're going to need at least 1 extra bullpen arm next year if no one else is signed if we want to move Sale to the rotation. Or hell, even if we want to stop the rotating door of Gray/Bruney/et al.. There's no good reason to trade Sergio just to try someone else out as the closer...Crain + Santos + Reed + Thornton makes for one possibly monstrously good setup/Closer group.

That's assuming the Sox see themselves as contenders next year.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Dylan's dad is agent Barry Axelrod.

So we might jettison Peavy to make room for Dylan?

We theoretically are 9 deep at SP next year with Buehrle resigned.

From the left:

Buehrle-Danks-Sale-Santiago

From the right:

Peavy-Floyd-Stewart-Humber-Axelrod

That's why one of Floyd and Danks will be gone next year. Possibly both, though I'd like to keep one of them and go with a six-man and have Axelrod and Santiago in the pen as long relief/spot starters.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)

From the left:

From the right:

That's why one of Floyd and Danks will be gone next year. Possibly both, though I'd like to keep one of them and go with a six-man and have Axelrod and Santiago in the pen as long relief/spot starters.

Yeah, good luck with dumping Peavy

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:48 AM)
That's assuming the Sox see themselves as contenders next year.

"Hey, we got career worst years from a multitude of guys. We had injuries and a ton of bad luck. All that and here we are in 2nd place. If that's not enough reason to bring this bunch back next year, what is?"

/Merkin

/Hawk

/Ranger

/Random delusional fan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:41 AM)

There's a good reason to trade Sergio, it's that the team has other holes and they can likely replace his production in the bullpen.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but Dylan's dad is agent Barry Axelrod.

So I'm guessing the Sox picking up Dylan in 09 had something to do with picking up Peavy that year and having dad as the agent. Who would have thought that would have worked out as more than a harmless favor? How has this story not been picked up yet? This is incredible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)

From the left:

From the right:

That is far too many question marks for my liking. Sale will not be able to pitch the entire year, let alone effectively. Wasn't Santiago in A ball fairly recently? Plus he's had like 3 appearances for the big league team. Peavy is going to get hurt again. Stewart has been great or abysmal. Humber, as much as I want to believe in the guy, might just been a ticking time bomb. And Axelrod has one start.

We're saying that we have 9 options? That seems rather optimistic to me.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
That is far too many question marks for my liking. Sale will not be able to pitch the entire year, let alone effectively. Wasn't Santiago in A ball fairly recently? Plus he's had like 3 appearances for the big league team. Peavy is going to get hurt again. Stewart has been great or abysmal. Humber, as much as I want to believe in the guy, might just been a ticking time bomb. And Axelrod has one start.

We're saying that we have 9 options? That seems rather optimistic to me.

If we go 9-deep the Braves, D-backs and Rays go about 29-deep.

Quantity isn't the problem with the rotation next year or beyond. Our fate will depend on the quality of Peavy's and Sale's performance. I expect Danks traded, Buehrle re-signed. We know what to expect from Floyd. Chances are, one of the rest will be an adequate 5th starter, and a second will be an adequate 6th to cover for Sale's limitations. I hope we put this 6 man crap to bed, with Peavy being normal again in 2012. I'm not sure it really helped anyone at the end of the day.

For next year, I expect slight, though not dramatic improvement for Peavy, and mostly excellence for Sale, even if only for

Alas, I'm afraid we'll suffer from insufficient run production again next year, though possibly, hopefully, to a lesser degree. We score enough runs, we'll compete. Pretty simple for me, anyway.

My cup remains precariously half-full for 2012.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 11:10 AM)

"sell 'em while he's high (in value)".

*Sigh* as much as it pains me to say it, you're right Danman. His stock is pretty high. And we have an option in Reed, although we may need a vet just in case Reed doesn't hack it...money on Reed though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
There's a good reason to trade Sergio, it's that the team has other holes and they can likely replace his production in the bullpen.

be honest... Which hole are the sox filling by trading Sergio? Getting a young starting pitcher? No. corner outfielder? Benching Viciedo or de Aza? Benching morel, alexei, Beckham, or Konerko? Gettig a young cheap reliever? Well...that kinda um...is Sergio.

I guess if someone offered you a catcher or for some crazy reason take rios with him...but there's really no hole that gets filled by trading serg.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
be honest... Which hole are the sox filling by trading Sergio? Getting a young starting pitcher? No. corner outfielder? Benching Viciedo or de Aza? Benching morel, alexei, Beckham, or Konerko? Gettig a young cheap reliever? Well...that kinda um...is Sergio.

I guess if someone offered you a catcher or for some crazy reason take rios with him...but there's really no hole that gets filled by trading serg.

Package him with Quentin or Ramirez.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 15, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
Package him with Quentin or Ramirez.

If you can get a bonafide Top 25-30 Milb catching prospect, sure.

Realistically, the biggest need is 1) the bullpen, especially if Sale goes to the rotation and 2) leadoff, if KW isn't satisfied with DeAza/Lillibridge.

It would be a bit ridiculous not to at least pencil in DeAza as a platoon player going into 2012, but who knows with Williams.

We're not going to be getting rid of Morel or Beckham, in all likelihood...nor Dunn and Rios.

So catcher, bullpen (which makes it kind of silly to trade Santos for yet a younger, more unproven prospect), slappy leadoff version of Pierre, (but MUCH younger) and starting pitching depth.

How likely is that? Who knows, really?

Edited by caulfield12