Chapter 151: the future (6:10pm, CSN)

Greg Hibbard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
Nice to see Morel find power, but I've got to believe that if there was any semblance of meaning left in the games the Sox play (there hasn't been for quite some time now) his power would still be a myth. That first Detroit sweep took a lot of pressure off this team.

I think Morel was questionable going forward as recently as July, and I think this stretch has proven he's our answer for at least 2012. I'd also like to see what some of these young pitchers can do in ML situations, particularly if we decide to deal Danks or Floyd.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Nice to see Morel find power, but I've got to believe that if there was any semblance of meaning left in the games the Sox play (there hasn't been for quite some time now) his power would still be a myth. That first Detroit sweep took a lot of pressure off this team.

Since they've been losing wholesale for the last few weeks...doesn't that mean that they're playing worse with no pressure on?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)

Morel's not the first rookie to start slow and finish strong. Don't think it has anything to do with the games being meaningless. As if the pitchers are saying, "Hey, since your team is out of it, will take it easy on you from here on out."

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Papa Tru @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
DEVELOPMENT YOU SAY??

Brent Morel

Pre All Star: .244/.260/.295/.555 1 HR 15 RBI 3 BB 27 K

Post All Star: .263/.322/.456/.778 7 HR 19 RBI 13 BB 20 K

Wow, Morel's walking and hitting for power. Never thought I'd see this happen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Morel's not the first rookie to start slow and finish strong. Don't think it has anything to do with the games being meaningless. As if the pitchers are saying, "Hey, since your team is out of it, will take it easy on you from here on out."

Agreed. That being said, Beckham did this same crap last year(as you've pointed out before), it's certainly been encouraging to watch Brent the last few months but I'm still not sold on him being the answer going forward though he's certainly going to be our starting 3b going into next season.

Agreed. That being said, Beckham did this same crap last year(as you've pointed out before), it's certainly been encouraging to watch Brent the last few months but I'm still not sold on him being the answer going forward though he's certainly going to be our starting 3b going into next season.

Well, I think the GM will be moving CQ, why not for a 3b?

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Agreed. That being said, Beckham did this same crap last year(as you've pointed out before), it's certainly encouraging to watch Brent the last few months but I'm still not sold on him being the answer going forward though he's certainly going to be our starting 3b going into next season.

Well Beck's wasn't a rookie. And the recurring theme around these parts regarding Morel is that he's slow to adapt at just about every level before settling in. I'm certainly not saying Morel has 'arrived' or anything like that. But the BB/power binge the last few weeks is very encouraging.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
Development is impossible. That 2nd half never happened.

Glad to see he's doing well. He has only 34 RBIs all year though? Yikes.

Who would have thought Beckham would have such a crap season.

If he does this again next year, what makes him any better than somebody like Getz?

Beckham is a good fielder, though, damn good.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)

If he does this again next year, what makes him any better than somebody like Getz?

He's better than Getz if he stays where he's at, but he'll get better. BTW, look at the stats on KC's little secondbaseman now, the Italian guy with a great name I can't think of. The guy sucks, but his line is almost identical in batting average, obp, and slugging pct as Alex Rios, yet Rios continues to hit up in the order.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)

Another season like this next year, hitting coach change or not, and he's officially a bust as far as I'm concerned.

I never like to use the excuse " well, who's he gonna knock in" ? but, yeah, who ? He's been batting behind Beckham, Rios and Dunn all year. I would like to see more but I don't think Pujols would have knocked in even 70 in Morel's spot on this team.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
34 RBIS from the 8/9 hole isn't terrible, especially considering he's going to end up with just 400 ABs. You're only going to max out at 70 or so RBIS from that position with 550 PAs anyway.

And considering that 3 of the guys hitting in front of him have been Dunn, Rios, and Beckham...it's not like he's had a lot of chances.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 17, 2011 -> 04:08 PM)
Wow, Morel's walking and hitting for power. Never thought I'd see this happen.

I assure you the next time you see the Chicago American League representative in a world series, one Brent Morel will not be their starting 3rd baseman