White Sox Manager Search Thread

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
The Cubs and the Sox are calling him for openings.

Right...at which poinit, he will tell this to the Phillies, who will then be pressed to make a decision...

I guess it wouldn't surprise me if he ended up at any of the three places.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:28 AM)
Martinez is going to be very good with young players, which is one of Ozzie's glaring weaknesses. He also understands how to analyze data, at least one would think, as he is Maddon's right hand man.

These are two things we have very much lacked under Ozzie.

Ozzie thinks analyze is something that happens in XXX movies.

One of my biggest concerns is if the Rays catch the Red Sox and Francona is fired, Boston might go after Martinez, and they'd easily pay more for him than the White Sox and could offer a team kind of already built for success.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)
One of my biggest concerns is if the Rays catch the Red Sox and Francona is fired, Boston might go after Martinez, and they'd easily pay more for him than the White Sox and could offer a team kind of already built for success.

I'd happily take Tito. If the Red Sox fire him, they are complete idiots.

QUOTE (3 BeWareTheNewSox 5 @ Sep 26, 2011 -> 11:26 PM)
Not going to happen but I'd like Bobby V or even Brenly.

I don't really want Tony LaR. I'd actually even prefer some young unknown to him. We should be rebuilding anyways. Getting LaRussa says the Sox are still in denial and not completely moving forward yet

If the White Sox are looking to move fast, it's not going to be La Russa.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
The Cubs and the Sox are calling him for openings.

Are the Cubs talking about him managing again in the majors? If it's a minor league job, he's already done that, why go back to the team that didn't think you were the best choice for manager?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Why is Buddy Bell even a candidate? Is he doing a good job with the minor league talent?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
If the White Sox are looking to move fast, it's not going to be La Russa.

Supposedly Bell has no interest in returning to managing. I also heard that both KW & LaRussa do not want to work with the other, so I don't think he's being considered.

Can't remember where I saw/heard this, there is a ton of info getting thrown around right now.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
Why is Buddy Bell even a candidate? Is he doing a good job with the minor league talent?

The reality is that he is not. He doesn't sound like he wants to manage again, plus he seems to be improving the turnout of our minor league players, so why move him?

QUOTE (spiderman @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Are the Cubs talking about him managing again in the majors? If it's a minor league job, he's already done that, why go back to the team that didn't think you were the best choice for manager?

Yes, word on the street is that Quade is out

QUOTE (La Marr Hoyt HOF @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
Think we would all love to see that, but not going to happen. This team is clearly heading into a rebuilding phase and it will be tough to recruit Martinez IMO. Think your odds here are pretty spot-on and think unfortunately we will end-up with a milktoast manager like Alomar to oversee the rough patch for the next 2-3 years ... Alomar just sounds/feels like a Jerry hire, doesn't he?

Yup, which is why I had his percentage so high. Bell also sounds like a Jerry hire, but not as much as Alomar. Thankfully, he doesn't appear to want to manage.

Edited by Milkman delivers

Alomar doesn't thrill me. Martinez seemingly would be able to bring a new perspective on how things can be done given his time with the Rays. I think that's what's most needed in this organization. Alomar though would be more likely to be a Williams puppet. That has to put him as the early favorite.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
I wouldn't hate the Alomar move, and I wouldn't like it. It'd be basically a lateral move, which is what I expect from this organization.

It would feel very much like hiring Ozzie Guillen again, honestly. Albeit, a much quieter version.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
It would feel very much like hiring Ozzie Guillen again, honestly. Albeit, a much quieter version.

Yup.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:53 PM)
The fans want Martinez but my money is on the fact that Sox are gonna hire Sandy Alomar Jr.

SOON.

Yup.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 27, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
What??? The reason I would want Bell as manager is at least it would get him away from his current job.

I know this would make Kenny seem good, so you can't believe it, but the Sox minor leaguers have done a much better job in the last year of coming to the majors with something to offer immediately, instead of needing to be retrained on the job. Flowers, De Aza, and Viciedo all got up here and made contributions to the team this year. Granted a couple of them have faded off of their hot starts, but that isn't exactly odd either.