Let the Rebuild Begin

DirtySox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
If you want pretty damn good players, you're not getting them MLB ready.

D1 had a terrible, injury-shortened season and is a FA in a year. Quentin had an injury shortened season again and couldn't come back at the end of the year at all, and for all I know as an opposing GM might have plenty of lingering effects next year. Floyd had his worst season since 2007 and has had his ERA slowly getting worse the last 3 years, although he does have 2 years before he's a FA so that counts for something.

I'm not giving up a top 50 prospect for any of them unless that top 50 prospect is 2 years away from my roster. I'm just not.

I expect to get a package better than Edwin Jackson commanded, so top 100 prospects are definitely in play if not top 50 for someone like Danks. Quentin is going to be an interesting bat on the market especially after Pujols and Fielder sign.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:26 PM)
I expect to get a package better than Edwin Jackson commanded, so top 100 prospects are definitely in play if not top 50 for someone like Danks. Quentin is going to be an interesting bat on the market especially after Pujols and Fielder sign.

Just because a GM made an utterly horrible mistake in trading for Edwin Jackson doesn't mean that the other 29 will make the same mistake.

Zach Stewart was on Keith Law's prospect lists, but now where else, and he really belonged at AAA for the 2nd half of this year if you were truly 100% focused on developing him.

And frankly, if I'm another GM, I want no part of Carlos Quentin. I'm not paying him $8 million or so in arbitration for 1/2 of a season of an .850 OPS if I'm lucky.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Just because a GM made an utterly horrible mistake in trading for Edwin Jackson doesn't mean that the other 29 will make the same mistake.

Zach Stewart was on Keith Law's prospect lists, but now where else, and he really belonged at AAA for the 2nd half of this year if you were truly 100% focused on developing him.

And frankly, if I'm another GM, I want no part of Carlos Quentin. I'm not paying him $8 million or so in arbitration for 1/2 of a season of an .850 OPS if I'm lucky.

Yes, but thats you. Look what Edwin got from the Cards (although he still sucked).

I'm telling you right now Quentin with only 2 team bidding on him before the deadline was commanding some serious names, better than you think. It will be even better with more teams in the mix.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
Just because you keep repeating it, doesn't make it true, especially in the case of Santos.

Santos is an incredible value even if not a closer, just in the pen. He made less than 500k this year and ranked 8th in saves in only his second MLB season and first as a closer.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)

If history is an indicator, expect to be disappointed by KW.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
I'm telling you right now Quentin with only 2 team bidding on him before the deadline was commanding some serious names, better than you think. It will be even better with more teams in the mix.

Quentin hasn't played in more than a month due to injury. Not going to get a better deal for him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
Santos is an incredible value even if not a closer, just in the pen. He made less than 500k this year and ranked 8th in saves in only his second MLB season and first as a closer.

When are you going to win, 2014? Santos value will never be higher than it is right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)

Then he should have been moved then before he blew out his shoulder again.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
When are you going to win, 2014? Santos value will never be higher than it is right now.

Actually, there's plenty of reason to think it could be a lot higher next year if he cuts down on the blown saves and snaps off a complete season.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
Yes, nothing say rebuild like trading away the few proven cost-controlled pieces you have for, um, unproven cost-controlled pieces.

I dont think I've put more than one user on ignore in several years, and in the last 2 days I've had to put Marty and Victory both on it. Just awful.

Santos is going to be worth so much to this team over the next few years and then will be a HUGE value in the trade market IMO. Less than a million bucks for a pen arm like that is awesome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Actually, there's plenty of reason to think it could be a lot higher next year if he cuts down on the blown saves and snaps off a complete season.

And as that arm gets built up year over year, the chances of that happening keep going up. A lot of teams would love to have Santos, and the best thing we would get back is a guy who might be as good as Sergio in a few years.

I am all for a rebuilding process. I just don't want a half ass job at it.

Lets trade the following players

Konerko

Danks

Floyd

AJ

Crain

Thornton

Quentin

Ohman

Also try to find several suckers to take Dunn, Peavy and Rios.

I would be sad to see Buehrle leave but the 2 draft picks will be nice.

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
And as that arm gets built up year over year, the chances of that happening keep going up. A lot of teams would love to have Santos, and the best thing we would get back is a guy who might be as good as Sergio in a few years.

By 2014, Santos will be just another bullpen arm.