2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Jon Heyman

sounds like the #chisox are expecting to hold onto carlos quentin, talented yet inconsistent player who hit .254

Seems a little early to make this type of prediction. I'm sure there are teams out there that would like to have Carlos. Of course if there's not a worthwhile package offered for him then the Sox will most likely hold onto him. However, I see him being traded.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 07:06 AM)
Knowing KW, that means he is definitely getting traded

You don't know what Williams is doing until he actually comments. This tweet means absolutely nothing.

In the last 5 years, I don't think I've ever seen Williams lie to the media. He's extremely vague and selective with his words, but I don't ever recall seeing him lie. If he said "Carlos Quentin will be a member of the 2012 White Sox team," then I'd believe Quentin won't be moved. I won't believe a thing otherwise.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:21 AM)
Jon Heyman

sounds like the #chisox are expecting to hold onto carlos quentin, talented yet inconsistent player who hit .254

If the Frasor move means anything by itself, this actually makes sense. You don't hold on to a $4 million reliever to trade off a bunch of talent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
If the Frasor move means anything by itself, this actually makes sense. You don't hold on to a $4 million reliever to trade off a bunch of talent.

Congrats on another season in AAA, Dayan.

Or at least 1/3 of a season, until Carlos gets hurt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
Congrats on another season in AAA, Dayan.

Or at least 1/3 of a season, until Carlos gets hurt.

If Carlos isn't traded, it'll be De Aza or Viciedo as the odd man out. It's too bad Rios is plugging up an outfield spot. Who knows, though? Rios could have a good year. (green?)

With Carlos, I predict an outfield of De Aza, Rios, and Quentin. Without him, it's easy. De Aza, Rios, Viciedo.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 10:03 AM)
Moving who for young pitching? Quentin or Viciedo? I imagine Viciedo could get more in return, but I wouldn't want to see that.

Viciedo.

The Sox would demand a premium young pitcher for a player like Viciedo, which means that some other team with and OF vacancy would need to be willing to part with a premium MLB-ready starter to fill an OF hole.

I mean, the Braves have the players to make it happen and a corner OF need, but that's just not the kind of deal that would go down. The Sox would deservedly ask for Teheran out of that, and the Braves aren't giving him up for Viciedo.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
FWIW, Kenny Williams did say to the media (drining to wite here) that the 2012 payroll will be slighty less than 2011 one.

If that's true, I'm surprised. Then again, let's say that they have to decrease payroll by $5 million. How much does letting Vizquel/Pierre and the E.Jackson/M.Teahan trade offset the increase in salaries to guys like Floyd, Danks and Quentin?

Just caught the last minutes of sox talk in Boston, But they brought up an interesting trade:

Danks, Sale and Quentin for

Ellsbury, Reddick and Ranaudo(currently in the minor's with supposedly huge upside).

I have mixed feelings about this trade proposal, but the thought of having Ellsbury is tantalizing.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:07 PM)
If that's true, I'm surprised. Then again, let's say that they have to decrease payroll by $5 million. How much does letting Vizquel/Pierre and the E.Jackson/M.Teahan trade offset the increase in salaries to guys like Floyd, Danks and Quentin?

If we were to bring back Quentin and Danks, but Lose M-56, the payroll sits somewhere around $113 million right now.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Just caught the last minutes of sox talk in Boston, But they brought up an interesting trade:

Ellsbury, Reddick and Ranaudo(currently in the minor's with supposedly huge upside).

I have mixed feelings about this trade proposal, but the thought of having Ellsbury is tantalizing.

I don't know anything about Ranaudo, but we lose at the rest of that trade, plus the Sox aren't trading Sale. He is literally the last guy on this roster, they would be trading today.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
I don't know anything about Ranaudo, but we lose at the rest of that trade, plus the Sox aren't trading Sale. He is literally the last guy on this roster, they would be trading today.

Well, that's probably Dunn, as nobody would take him for any reason.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)

If that's the FO train of thought there being short sighted, Ellsbury is a top 10 player and is under team control for the next 2 years and just entering his prime. While Sale has huge upside, you can't let a middle reliever upside obstruct getting a player like Ellsbury.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
If that's the FO train of thought there being short sighted, Ellsbury is a top 10 player and is under team control for the next 2 years and just entering his prime. While Sale has huge upside, you can't let a middle reliever upside obstruct getting a player like Ellsbury.

Sale is under team control for five years, and he is going to be in the starting rotation next year.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)

He is also due big arbitration raises in those two years under team control, so it's not like he will be super cheap. And how is Sale's upside only as a middle reliever??

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
If we were to bring back Quentin and Danks, but Lose M-56, the payroll sits somewhere around $113 million right now.

And bringing back Buerhle puts the payroll, if your other things you mentioned happened, puts the payroll at about $125

Interesting...

I still think Quentin and Danks/Floyd is gone.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:10 PM)
And bringing back Buerhle puts the payroll, if your other things you mentioned happened, puts the payroll at about $125

Interesting...

I still think Quentin and Danks/Floyd is gone.

Of course, doing that would leave us with either 6 starters or with Sale in the bullpen, again.

QUOTE (sox win @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)

Did a moron fan propose this?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
Did a moron fan propose this?

I'm assuming it was, I caught the last minute's of the conversation. Maybe I have a bro crush on Ellsbury, but the idea of getting gold glove mvp in his prime just doesn't happen that often. Maybe if we forced them to take Dunn it would be a more appealing trade.