2011-12 White Sox off season catch all thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 04:04 PM)
That's pretty bad to hear Stewart is better suited for the bullpen. Really makes you question our scouts

I agree, but I also think he might be right. I'm honestly more comfortable with the idea of Axelrod as a starter than I am Stewart, having seen them both pitch multiple times.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
Coop was on XM radio today and said Zach Stewart is better suited for the bullpen FWIW.

I completely agree. I don't think he'll be a very good starter. You put him in the pen and his velocity will move into the mid 90's, with his sink and a relatively rubber arm, and he could be a very productive set-up guy. I don't think he has enough "good" pitches to succeed as a starter.

I dunno about Stewart in either role.

Basically, to me, Stewart's biggest weakness last year was that his sinker didn't have a whole lot of sink on it. He got a fair number of groundouts but it just didn't look like his ball was as heavy as I'd like it to be. I liked his offspeed stuff, but it was a bit inconsistent.

If he's going to be a bullpen pitcher, basically he needs his first pitch to be a solid pitch, and that's his fastball/sinker. If he's going to be a starter, he needs that first pitch to push a lot of groundouts and also add in some additional offspeed stuff.

I think he needs to work as a starter just to work on that sinker.

Stewart lacks the quality secondary pitches to be a starter. Sure, he could give a spot start now and then and on a weak team could pencil in as a bottom end of the rotation starter, but right now that's his ceiling.

I didn't like the move of getting him to begin with, but when I watched him pitch he did win me over because I DO believe he has a good arm, so in the very least I think he could be a useful bullpen guy. But I wouldn't hold my breath on him starting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 05:57 PM)
No. I want to see more of him for sure.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 23, 2011 -> 07:47 PM)
Apparently the only games I actually got to Stewart pitch were the games he didn't suck (including the one where he was carrying the no-no), cause I am really intrigued by him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 04:48 AM)
I was the same way.

Thank you.

I just don't know why we're condemning him to the BP already, he looked fine for a rookie starter on a new team. Last time there was an overreaction to a rookie SP having a bad start, we got Edwin Jackson.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
Stewart lacks the quality secondary pitches to be a starter. Sure, he could give a spot start now and then and on a weak team could pencil in as a bottom end of the rotation starter, but right now that's his ceiling.

I didn't like the move of getting him to begin with, but when I watched him pitch he did win me over because I DO believe he has a good arm, so in the very least I think he could be a useful bullpen guy. But I wouldn't hold my breath on him starting.

Especially as a sinkerballer, he should have the stuff for staring, he has both a change and a slider that can be quite effective. Like i said though, it's the quality on the sinker that concerns me.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 24, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)
Thank you.

I just don't know why we're condemning him to the BP already, he looked fine for a rookie starter on a new team. Last time there was an overreaction to a rookie SP having a bad start, we got Edwin Jackson.

He was another who was up against his innings highs too, this one as a converted reliever.

I caught his bad start against the Twins. I had to cheat to see if it happened the way I recalled and it did. He was cruising through the first 3, allowing only 2 baserunners, 1 hit and 1 walk. He got into trouble because he would start to nibble and would dance around the plate, and when he had to make a pitch, he'd leave it fat over the middle of the plate. The Twins weren't a very good hitting team, but they were a disciplined and fundamentally-offensive club and they look for pitches over the plate to hit. If you have great stuff and high velocity, you can get away with that at times. Not with a 91 MPH fastball.

I think Stewart could be a decent 3-4 starter, but from what I saw, did look to be better suited for the pen. He has the advantage of having multiple pitches and, so long as he can improve that stuff when coming out of the bullpen, he could be an extremely valuable reliever, perhaps a higher leverage DJ Carrasco of sorts. There is still quite a bit of value in that.

I'd rather have either him in the bullpen instead of Jason Frasor, who seemingly won't net the Sox any sort of meaningful compensation anymore.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 25, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
I'd rather have either him in the bullpen instead of Jason Frasor, who seemingly won't net the Sox any sort of meaningful compensation anymore.

I've got to guess that picking up Frasor's option was done with the reform of the compensation rules in mind...esp. with all the talk about limiting comp picks this year.

He's still tradeable if he can come out and have a decent first month.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 28, 2011 -> 07:58 AM)
ChiTribRogers Phil Rogers

#WhiteSox's Eduardo Escobar is regular SS for 1st-place La Guaira in Venezuela. Could battle Ozvaldo Martinez for job behind Alexei Ramirez.

Can't we just call him Ozzie Martinez? Isn't that his name?

Anyway, if the Sox are letting Buehrle go AND trading Floyd and Danks, they might as well trade Alexei too and see what they can get. With a bad team coming in 2012, and Martinez, Escobar, and Saladino in the pipeline, Alexei could go and bring back some good prospects.

Mets may need a SS soon.

Edited by flavum