White Sox Sign Sergio Santos to 3 year deal

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Why not? $8 million to lock him up for 3+ years would not be a bad gamble after the year he threw this year.

As much as I believe that Humber could stick around as at least a decent starter, Santos had two seasons of performing well. I don't want to commit to Humber after just one season that may end up being a fluke.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 05:53 PM)
As much as I believe that Humber could stick around as at least a decent starter, Santos had two seasons of performing well. I don't want to commit to Humber after just one season that may end up being a fluke.

At least in my view...a $2.6 million/year, 3 year commitment to Philip Humber is not a big risk compared to what he gave this year. We paid Linebrink 1.5 times that much this year to go away. Hell, in the fangraphs world he was worth $15 million this year alone.

He also had a decent positive stint with the Royals in 2010 worth remembering.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 04:25 PM)
The Sox are gonna be as aggressive as hell in the next few weeks building a new culture within the team ASAP. This includes Manager and staff and then player moves when possible.

Will this new culture involve spending some money on the god-damn draft?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 05:35 PM)
Will this new culture involve spending some money on the god-damn draft?

Not absolutely sucking scouting wise would be nice, too. I realize money is a big part. But wow. You would think you'd hit on one first-round pick by accident over the course of a decade (the jury is still out on Sale).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
At least in my view...a $2.6 million/year, 3 year commitment to Philip Humber is not a big risk compared to what he gave this year. We paid Linebrink 1.5 times that much this year to go away. Hell, in the fangraphs world he was worth $15 million this year alone.

He also had a decent positive stint with the Royals in 2010 worth remembering.

How many more years would we definitely have control of Humber including arbitration?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:02 PM)
How many more years would we definitely have control of Humber including arbitration?

Based on what ive read today he's on the same path as Santos and has 2 years of service time as of now. That ought to mean we'd have his control for 4 years, one more pre-arb.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:23 PM)
Because Sergio Santos could get hurt tomorrow and retire with $8 million.

Agreeing to three option years and foregoing two years of free agency seems a bit extreme for only $8 million in guaranteed money. Can you even think of a comparable deal? IMO, Hahn absolutely raped Santos' agent with this deal.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
Agreeing to three option years and foregoing two years of free agency seems a bit extreme for only $8 million in guaranteed money. Can you even think of a comparable deal? IMO, Hahn absolutely raped Santos' agent with this deal.

Beats getting raped (Peavy, Rios, Dunn, Thornton) for a change.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 09:36 PM)

Longoria is on a similar deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:16 PM)
Based on what ive read today he's on the same path as Santos and has 2 years of service time as of now. That ought to mean we'd have his control for 4 years, one more pre-arb.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 30, 2011 -> 08:35 PM)
Let's see how he does in 2012 and then decide, he is very cheap for next year.

What Soxfest said.