Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Yep. This is certainly not the typical New Manager Introduction press conference.

Everyone.

It should certainly be noted that this was not a press conference. This was a media session done by telephone. It's sole purpose is for reporters to pick up quotes and bylines.

It's very rare, and also very out of the ordinary, for something like that to be aired. I'm pretty surprised the Score put it on the airwaves.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:19 PM)
No experienced manager was coming in here to deal with Kenny and already have most of his decisions made for him.

KW should just manage the damn himself and really save Reinsdorf some money.

Ventura is and will be a yes man for JR and KW or he would not of been hired this move completely SUCKS!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
Answer this seriously...

Who would you rather have been named today? Steve Stone or Robin?

I'd say Stoney.

I think Stoney knows he'll be broadcasting a bad team for a few years.

I wanted Stone for GM.

I doubt Ventura would have followed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:36 PM)
If u are gonna hire Robin ... why didn't they just hire Coop?

And make Robin bench coach.

Very dumb move IMO.

the hallmark of great managers is their ability to handle a pitching staff.

with Coop there, we'll never know how much of these managerial decisions are Robin's or Coop's.

Ventura has got to be able to stand up to Coop.

This is why you never saddle an incoming manager with a ready-made coaching staff.

If Robin hadn't formulated such plans about a staff - he has no business being a manager.

And frankly, I'm not that impressed with Coop anyway.

I wanted the entire coaching staff gone.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Well Sox have now hired the complete left side of the Sox infield in the 90's. I guess Big Frank will be the next manager starting with the right side. :chimp

Nah they had the middle infield on the last coaching staff, now they are going with the corners.

QUOTE (Soxman72 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:47 PM)
It was obvious that we were going to get a first time manager (Martinez, McEwing, Alomar). They were not going to give Francona big money. They were not going to get in a bidding war with Boston or anyone else for Martinez (I have read and heard he will be an option in Boston). The Sox are going to get younger, dump salary, and Robin seems like a good baseball person and he is well respected. I love how people are giving up on a guy that has not even been given a chance yet. He could be great or he could be real bad, but hiring a guy with little experience should not be surprising. Baseball history has a ton of examples of young mangers doing well and winning. I am happy with the hire knowing the direction the team will be going in. This isn't really all that different from the hiring of our last manager.

I didn't care for that move either.

Imagine those poor folks down in Miami hearing Ozzie say he's just in it for the money - doesn't give a damn about championships.

He's been down there for 1 week, hasn't managed even a simulation game and he's already a public relations nightmare.

And this is what we had here for what 6 or 7 years?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
Dude played 16 seasons in the league. Outside of Alomar having a little bit of experience, he was basically as green as Ventura. Only difference, the media was selling Alomar as a candidate for a while. The reality is, Alomar's limited exposure with Cleveland isn't going to by far and away make him more ready to be a manager than Ventura.

Personally I always thought Alomar would make a great manager and would have loved to have him. But based upon ex players comments, it sounds like Ventura has a lot of those same qualities that I liked about Alomar and he has 16 years of experience in major league clubhouses being a leader and "winner". And he's seen different types of clubhouses, whether it was the White Sox clubhouse in the 90's or the Mets for a couple years or even the Yankees clubhouse.

Well you can be sure Robbin won't have a quarter of a billion dollars in payroll to buttress him - or be still my beating heart - is that the next bulletin out of 35th street

Edited by mcgrad70

How often does this happen in modern baseball, for someone with no prior experience in ANY form of coaching to be given a major league managers job?

It's not even an issue of mine that he'll be over his head (I personally believe it's always more a "you have to earn your dues" type of job), but what it suggests with Williams. I just see this as a manager who will be constantly under the direction of the GM. In some ways, I can cheer the oversight-- Guillen was reluctant to sit veterans and give rookies extended playing time. If Ventura does this s*** Willaims can give him a kick in the ass. But, the game is about respect, too -- and I wonder how the players will react to him.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the hiring. The team will likely have a few mediocre seasons as it is, and if they're attempting to rebuild then it won't matter who is managing the team.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:42 PM)
I like the Sox being honest with this move and admitting the truth that they have no chance to win the division next year.

They're future begins by developing their young talent and working through KW's mess of bad deals and bad contracts over the next few years.

The b**** of it is KW gets to stay and work through anything, he is a massive failure at his job! Ventura has 1 foot in the grave already with the albatross that is KW!

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:48 PM)
How often does this happen in modern baseball, for someone with no prior experience in ANY form of coaching to be given a major league managers job?

It's not even an issue of mine that he'll be over his head (I personally believe it's always more a "you have to earn your dues" type of job), but what it suggests with Williams. I just see this as a manager who will be constantly under the direction of the GM. In some ways, I can cheer the oversight-- Guillen was reluctant to sit veterans and give rookies extended playing time. If Ventura does this s*** Willaims can give him a kick in the ass. But, the game is about respect, too -- and I wonder how the players will react to him.

Overall, I don't have a problem with the hiring. The team will likely have a few mediocre seasons as it is, and if they're attempting to rebuild then it won't matter who is managing the team.

None of this is can be very good.

Williams is atrocious at this own job.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
None of this is can be very good.

Williams is atrocious at this own job.

I'd care more if I thought this team was in a position to compete next season.

Let the guy learn. If we're terrible, perhaps that will be it for Williams.

I preferred Dave Martinez too, but I wasn't shocked. It was a White Sox type of move. Kind of like the same feeling I have on draft day when they do what they do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Love it hard. I think people complaining don't know s*** about Robin.

You're missing the point.

This has nothing to do with Ventura.

This speaks directly to the ownership and his front office and the contempt they have for the fan base.

This is a charter member of MLB and it's being treated like an expansion team.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:50 PM)
The b**** of it is KW gets to stay and work through anything, he is a massive failure at his job! Ventura has 1 foot in the grave already with the albatross that is KW!

You know...I hate to say it...but I wind up agreeing with you here. If you're not going to hire a manager who has some experience, why not start from scratch.

I like what Peter Gammons says below about JR on Ventura hiring and it is 100% correct!

pgammo Peter Gammons

great humor, best Albert Belle stories...Jerry Reinsdorf's loyalty knows no bounds.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:00 PM)
Damn straight.

s***, it's my fault really. I expected something different from this organization. I shouldn't have gotten excited about Martinez. Of course they were gonna hire someone completely out of the blue...

This is The White Flag Hiring. We will look back on it and know it years from know...

The White Sox have given up on three things: Spending money to hire someone. Hiring someone out of organization. And, giving any indication to the fan base that they will at all be in contention for the next 3+ years

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 05:46 PM)
I was just about to say this. This is our Vinny Del Negro move, this is us stalling for time. We're going to tread water for a couple of years before we decide to actually spend money again.

Or Reinsdorf finds a buyer

Edited by mcgrad70