Robin Ventura Named White Sox Manager

Steve9347

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:49 PM)
No I'm not crying just voicing my displeasure. And I can point you to an article earlier in this thread that ripped apart this godawful move.

If you're referring to the Yahoo one, then you're referring to a blog post, not an article.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:25 PM)
Hey, he coached 7th grade girls basketball for his daughter's team! Oh wait ....MLB players are worse behaved than 12 year old girls.

Don "The Bear" Haskins was coach of a Texas girls' high school basketball team and won the NCAA championship.

Haskins' coaching career began at Benjamin High School in Benjamin, Texas in 1955. He was a teacher and coach of both boys and girls teams at Benjamin High from 1955-56. Haskins also headed the basketball programs at Hedley (Texas) High School from 1956-60 and Dumas (Texas) High School from 1960-61.

Of course, in the movie GLORY ROAD, they made it appear he went directly from coaching the girls team the previous year to winning the national championship the next.

In reality, there was a full ten year gap.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:22 PM)
I want to say I'm shocked with the negativity surrounding this hiring, but then again, this is SoxTalk.

On the face of it, I like it. Would I have liked Dave Martinez, sure? But he has just as much managerial experience as Ventura. Like others have said, this isn't football or basketball. He'll be just fine so long as he has a good coaching staff around him. Honestly, the more important hiring will be the hitting and bench coaches. It's too early to tell if this is a good hire or not. He hasn't managed a damn game yet.

I love how people are stretching this much. Since neither has managed a professional team, they're equally as experience. Never mind the fact that one has been the right-hand man for a manager for years. It's like having two guys work in the mail room of a company for about 15 years. One somehow retires while the other works his way up to vice president of the company. When there is an opening for president, the mail room guy is hired because they both have the same amount of experience at running a company.

And to say that the more important hiring is that of the hitting and bench coaches doesn't even make sense. The most important hiring is the manager, plain and simple.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
A few things:

I 100% agree with fathom. I understand people being unhappy with hiring a guy with no experience, but (I agree with Jason here) I'm guessing that KW identified the problems that existed in the clubhouse and figured that Robin would be a good fit to fix those issues. A managerial job is about looking at matchups, yes, but being able to manage the clubhouse is a much bigger part of it. That's where he'll have to earn his lunch money.

I know I always draw everything back to Iowa State, but it's exactly like when they hired Fred Hoiberg as head coach.

That is great and all but, what about KW identifing the problems that existed and still does in the FRONT OFFICE and it is him!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
I love how people are stretching this much. Since neither has managed a professional team, they're equally as experience. Never mind the fact that one has been the right-hand man for a manager for years. It's like having two guys work in the mail room of a company for about 15 years. One somehow retires while the other works his way up to vice president of the company. When there is an opening for president, the mail room guy is hired because they both have the same amount of experience at running a company.

And to say that the more important hiring is that of the hitting and bench coaches doesn't even make sense. The most important hiring is the manager, plain and simple.

:notworthy

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:23 PM)
That's true. Every ownership has teams with at least 7 championships

Assuming you are talking about Reinsdorf, 6 of those 7 are in another sport and were made possible by at least 3 current HOF players and a HOF coach.

And then he insulted those players and that fanbase by saying he would trade all of those 6 championships for 1 baseball championship.

Considering the one-hit wonder that was the 2005 team, looks like mission accomplished.

Now good night Jerry Jr.

I was as shocked as anyone Ventura was hired, but angry , no. No ones brought up the fact that Dave Martinez slept with another mans wife. Yes , that's a pretty common occurrence and has nothing to do with his qualifications as manger. Maybe Reinsdorf didn't want that in an organization perceived to be family oriented.

With the family circus that was Ozzie Guillen and his bias for veteran players infiltrating his on field decisions I have no doubt Ventura's class act will be a breathe of fresh air.

Not many here really expect the Sox to compete for the playoffs next year so why not let Ventura grow into the job ? Can he do a worse job than Guillen ? Will his on field decisions be so much worse than Dave Martinez' would be ? Baseball is a leisurely paced game and managers and their support group of coaches have plenty of time to anticipate and make well informed decisions.

Sometimes it seems around here that people are upset because they were wrong or Ventura isn't a known commodity (i.e. sabergeek) . He's supposed to be a good leader and well respected by his peers All I am saying is give Robin a chance.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)

He was hired as Rays bench coach in 2007. It's not like he's been there forever. Baines has been a coach for us since 2004 and he's won more WS than Maddon and Martinez. Why not hire him?

For f***s sake, everyone fell in love with Martinez and went gaga over him. Sure, he's a great candidate but it doesn't mean he'll be a great manager.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:46 PM)
A few things:

I 100% agree with fathom. I understand people being unhappy with hiring a guy with no experience, but (I agree with Jason here) I'm guessing that KW identified the problems that existed in the clubhouse and figured that Robin would be a good fit to fix those issues. A managerial job is about looking at matchups, yes, but being able to manage the clubhouse is a much bigger part of it. That's where he'll have to earn his lunch money.

I know I always draw everything back to Iowa State, but it's exactly like when they hired Fred Hoiberg as head coach.

There are some other similarities, Hoiberg was available for a very "cheap" price, $800,000...whereas Iowa spent a lot more money on the name/resume coach in Todd Lickliter, who actually had NCAA Coach of the Year on his resume while at Butler.

However, there's one big difference. The most important thing college basketball coaches do is recruit...and Hoiberg's done a good job of bringing in a lot of talent and leveraging his name/NBA past/reputation/goodwill to do so.

Ventura doesn't have that advantage....he's stuck pretty much with the roster he's inheriting.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
That is great and all but, what about KW identifing the problems that existed and still does in the FRONT OFFICE and it is him!

I'm guessing he found a guy he can work with.

If that sentiment involves the Dunn move at all, I still call shenanigans on anyone who says that move was stupid. But that's a different argument for a different thread.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:58 PM)
And before anyone says anything, we DO NOT want The Big Hurt as our hitting coach. Trust me.

He's not going to be. It will probably be Manto or Laker. If anyone thinks KW will ever have Frank Thomas on his coaching staff, just remember this quote, "the man is an idiot"

Edited by Dick Allen

Come to think about it, this was set already, anyone remember early in the season when robin was around the cell? And was named roving instructor or something? I think they knew then that Ozzie was gonna be let go to Florida.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 08:00 PM)
He's not going to be. It will probably be Manto or Laker. If anyone thinks KW will ever have Frank Thomas on his coaching staff, just remember this quote, "the man is an idiot"

And KW is highly qualified to speak of idiocy.

By Doug Padilla

ESPNChicago.com

Archive CHICAGO -- Robin Ventura is returning to the Chicago White Sox, accepting a job Monday as a special advisor to director of player development Buddy Bell.

Ventura will essentially be a roving minor league instructor, visiting each of the White Sox's affiliates in order to assess talent, work one-on-one with specific players and provide the organization with another set of eyes to do evaluation.

More From ESPNChicago.com

Can't get enough White Sox information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest from the South Side. Blog

Ventura played 10 of his 16 major league seasons with the White Sox. He won six Gold Glove Awards and was a two-time All-Star.

"This is where I wanted to get back into it and Buddy and (chairman) Jerry (Reinsdorf) gave me the opportunity to be more flexible," Ventura said. "That was the part that intrigued me, that I could go for four or five days and be back home. It would have been a different sell if it was (being gone for) six months (straight)."

Ventura, who resides in Santa Maria, Calif., will still work as a color commentator for ESPN's College World Series coverage. He will begin working with the White Sox in July.

"I watched Robin play for a lot of years and I have a lot of respect for the way he played but also for the kind of person he is," Bell said. "We are looking forward to the relationship. (The role) is going to kind of evolve into whatever. Right now, I'm going to pick his brain. He's going to the affiliates to check the teams out. There will be special guys we want Robin to look at or bear down on. Either they need his help or we want another set of eyes to look at him."Ventura said the time was right for this kind of a position because his kids were getting older. He has three daughters and a 12-year-old son.

As for where this position takes him, Ventura says he will think about that in the future.

"I have no plans of being president of the team," he said. "This is just a step of getting back within the organization and whatever happens, happens. I'm willing to put my foot in the water and see what happens. I don't really have any thoughts on what the future is. I like to be able to do this within the White Sox organization."

QUOTE (JoshPR @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
Come to think about it, this was set already, anyone remember early in the season when robin was around the cell? And was named roving instructor or something? I think they knew then that Ozzie was gonna be let go to Florida.

Youre probably right.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:56 PM)
He was hired as Rays bench coach in 2007. It's not like he's been there forever. Baines has been a coach for us since 2004 and he's won more WS than Maddon and Martinez. Why not hire him?

For f***s sake, everyone fell in love with Martinez and went gaga over him. Sure, he's a great candidate but it doesn't mean he'll be a great manager.

He was just one example. Alomar was also out there, and a few other guys.