What can the Sox realistically expect in a trade for Danks

macsandz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
I understand, but I at least like to have some shred of reality to it. If a thread is started due to a rumor picked up by an actual journalist, then it doesn't seem so futile.

The whole thread is based off of the pretty real idea that John Danks is going to be traded this off season. That has been stated in multiple places. I see no problem with having a discussion about what is realistic to expect for him. Its not like it is a thread about what we could get for Sergio Santos or Dayan Viciedo who we know aren't going anywhere.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 10:12 AM)
The whole thread is based off of the pretty real idea that John Danks is going to be traded this off season. That has been stated in multiple places. I see no problem with having a discussion about what is realistic to expect for him. Its not like it is a thread about what we could get for Sergio Santos or Dayan Viciedo who we know aren't going anywhere.

I didn't say this thread, but this kind of thread. I'm obviously reading this one, but I wouldn't if there were no merit to the scenario.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 01:23 AM)
How about Danks, AJ & Thornton for Logan Morrison & Chris Volstad?

Danks would dominate the NL and be FLA's only LHP in the rotation and would compliment Josh Johnson very well.

AJ reunites with Ozzie and gives FLA a quality catcher and lefty bat. Thornton would do well in the NL.

LoMo has worn out his welcome with the Marlins. The kid is a stud and would add a nice controlled centerpiece to play LF for years. Volstad is a classic Sox reclamation project. A 1st round pick that never panned out. He's still young and has potential. I believe FLA has probably run out of patience.

The Marlins are in aggressive mode with new leadership and a new stadium. The Sox are rebuilding. This deal would make sense for both teams.

This is such a bad trade in so many different facets that I'm not sure it's worth breaking down.

I'm bored.

If Logan Morrison is going to be traded, it's because he had a mediocre to bad year and because he's been trouble for Marlins ownership. His value is down. I'm not sure why the Sox would want him to be viewed as a major trade chip.

Chris Volstad, for all the hype he received coming into the league, is the very definition of a mediocre pitcher. He doesn't have a good K rate, not particularly stunning control, allows a lot of hits, and has almost thrown 600 innings in his big league career, so you generally know what you are going to get.

John Danks, if you KEEP him, will net you two picks in the top 100 in 2013. Considering that the Sox really don't have room in the rotation for a #4 starter (even assuming Floyd is traded and Buehrle is let go, the Sox can still fill the rotation pretty easily within the system and not have to pay arbitration to Chris Volstad while retaining whoever they want longer than Chris Volstad) and that their outfield is already full for next year, even assuming they trade Quentin (thus, leaving no room for Logan Morrison), I would much rather have the 2 picks as opposed to those two alone for John Danks.

In the meantime, you are also giving them AJ Pierzynski and Matt Thornton as well. Considering that the Marlins signed John Buck to a 3 year, $18 million contract last offseason, that means he has roughly 2 years and $12 million left. I'm not sure where they are going to play 2 mediocre $6 million catchers, but I'M SURE OZZIE CAN FIND ROOM. Meanwhile, you are also giving them a very valuable left handed reliever who will have his own value on the open market, even if that value is simply a decent relief prospect.

In conclusion, John Danks valuable, Logan Morrison and Chris Volstad no place on White Sox, AJ Pierzynski no place on Marlins, Matt Thornton valuable. This trade bad.

EDIT: Morrison was better than I thought last year. This is still a very, very bad trade.

Edited by witesoxfan

Well, Kevin Davidoff of Newsday thinks the Yankees should trade for Danks, among other moves.

Link

His impression is that Danks, coming off a down year but with good peripherals is not going to exact a gargantuan price in prospects. Not sure what that means, but he doesn't appear to think the Yankees should use what I assume are their top prospects (Jesus Montero , Dellin Betances, Manny Banuelos or Mason Williams) to get him, but maybe some of what I assume are there next level down prospects (Austin Romine, Gary Sanchez, Adam Warren, Slade Heathcott). Also I'm not sure he is suggesting all four of them, but at least you get the idea of what someone on the outside thinks Danks is worth.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)
Well, Kevin Davidoff of Newsday thinks the Yankees should trade for Danks, among other moves.

Link

His impression is that Danks, coming off a down year but with good peripherals is not going to exact a gargantuan price in prospects. Not sure what that means, but he doesn't appear to think the Yankees should use what I assume are their top prospects (Jesus Montero , Dellin Betances, Manny Banuelos or Mason Williams) to get him, but maybe some of what I assume are there next level down prospects (Austin Romine, Gary Sanchez, Adam Warren, Slade Heathcott). Also I'm not sure he is suggesting all four of them, but at least you get the idea of what someone on the outside thinks Danks is worth.

I'd love Gary Sanchez and/or Slade. Not sure why some people are enamored with Romine though. He's a pretty underwhelming prospect.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:23 PM)

Link

This guy?

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 11, 2011 -> 09:08 AM)
I understand, but I at least like to have some shred of reality to it. If a thread is started due to a rumor picked up by an actual journalist, then it doesn't seem so futile.

Do they still exist in Chicago and how many are still in captivity?

I think a package similar to what the Astros got for Pence is realistic. Danks is a top 5 LHP in baseball. The Yankees could be desparate for some established starting pitching when CC opts out. They make take the approach of getting Wilson and Danks for what it will cost to re-sign CC. The Red Sox will also be looking for some rotation help and I read earlier this year that they are going to have 40 man roster issues this fall, so you may be able to squeeze more value out of them or at least drive up the market value.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Oct 12, 2011 -> 02:50 PM)
I'd love Gary Sanchez and/or Slade. Not sure why some people are enamored with Romine though. He's a pretty underwhelming prospect.

He is one of the most overrated prospects in the minors currently, IMO. Was never a fan of his.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 08:48 AM)
I think a package similar to what the Astros got for Pence is realistic. Danks is a top 5 LHP in baseball. The Yankees could be desparate for some established starting pitching when CC opts out. They make take the approach of getting Wilson and Danks for what it will cost to re-sign CC. The Red Sox will also be looking for some rotation help and I read earlier this year that they are going to have 40 man roster issues this fall, so you may be able to squeeze more value out of them or at least drive up the market value.

I dunno, top 5? He might be top 10 if he's lucky. I believe all of these guys throw with their left hands:

Jon Lester, Ricky Romero, Cole Hamels, C.J. Wilson, Derek Holland, Gio Gonzalez, C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, and Clayton Kershaw.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)
I dunno, top 5? He might be top 10 if he's lucky. I believe all of these guys throw with their left hands:

Jon Lester, Ricky Romero, Cole Hamels, C.J. Wilson, Derek Holland, Gio Gonzalez, C.C. Sabathia, Cliff Lee, and Clayton Kershaw.

As does David Price.

I know Danks had an off year in 2011, but of the 24 lefties to qualify for the ERA title, he finished 22nd, just ahead of Chris Capuano & Jeff Francis.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 09:53 AM)

Interestingly enough, when Kenny asked for Holland for Thornton, Daniels would have if Danks was involved.

A deal with the rangers of Holland + Spects for Danks/Thornton?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 13, 2011 -> 05:04 PM)
Interestingly enough, when Kenny asked for Holland for Thornton, Daniels would have if Danks was involved.

A deal with the rangers of Holland + Spects for Danks/Thornton?

The Rangers then went and traded for Mike Adams and Koji Uehara. They don't need Thornton anymore and would probably rather have Holland than Danks.