2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:59 PM)
Cubs got Maholm. $4.75M. He thinks that the CuBS have a chance in the Central. lol!

Garza is good as gone. Hard to believe they would sign him for "insurance." But I wonder why he would pick the Cubs over Pirates, probably for the money is my guess.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Garza is good as gone. Hard to believe they would sign him for "insurance." But I wonder why he would pick the Cubs over Pirates, probably for the money is my guess.

Gammons on MLBN Hot Stove said the Tigers would not part with either of those players for Gio and more cost certainty thus he can not see the Tigers giving them up for garza.

The Tigers project Turner in their opening day rotation.

cub convention this weekend.

Are Bob and Len playing their annual gig at the HOB tonight?

cub marketing has removed castro from their 2012 campaign.

The recognizable face of the cubs right now is ryan dempster and that is about it unless wood comes back. They could be two of the biggest losers in baseball. Seeing what MB got in free agency is there any doubt dempster would have gotten a comparable deal? Once a lovable loser always a lovable loser.

On CSN last night they were touting how all of the cub moves have now created a glut of starting pitching which will be the cubs strength this year.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
Are Bob and Len playing their annual gig at the HOB tonight?

cub marketing has removed castro from their 2012 campaign.

The recognizable face of the cubs right now is ryan dempster and that is about it unless wood comes back. They could be two of the biggest losers in baseball. Seeing what MB got in free agency is there any doubt dempster would have gotten a comparable deal? Once a lovable loser always a lovable loser.

On CSN last night they were touting how all of the cub moves have now created a glut of starting pitching which will be the cubs strength this year.

Dempster wasn't a free agent, and he basically makes the same amount of money as MB signed for. Anyway, Theo is the face of the franchise now, don't kid yourself.

The Tribune had a whole spread on the sports page cover yesterday about the Cubs new rotation and how deep it is too. No rotation with Randy Wells in a spot should be praised as "deep".

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Dan Bernstein @dan_bernstein

WBBM Newsradio reports Starlin Castro still being interviewed by police. They began questioning him last night.

So he's been under bright lights, no sleep, for 12+ hours?

link

Cubs’ Starlin Castro Questioned All Night

CHICAGO (CBS) — Police questioned Cubs shortstop Carlin Castro all night about allegations of sexual assault, and he was still being interviewed Friday morning.

WBBM Newsradio’s Mike Krauser reports Castro was being questioned at the Belmont Area Headquarters, 2452 W. Belmont Ave., Friday morning after arriving the night before. Later Friday, he is supposed to attend the Cubs Convention, which starts at 3 p.m. at the Chicago Hilton and Towers downtown.

Castro flew in from the Dominican Republic on Wednesday, returning to Chicago for the first time since late September.

The woman, who is in her 20s, has claimed that she was drinking with friends at a River North nightclub on the night of Sept. 29 when she met Castro.

Sources say she and a friend left the bar at 3 a.m. the following morning and went to the 21-year-old Castro’s apartment on State Street nearby. The woman claimed she passed out at Castro’s apartment and woke up screaming, finding him on top of her.

Detectives have been waiting to interview Castro ever since the woman came forward hours after the alleged attack. By the time the woman told her story to detectives, Castro was already on a plane headed home for the offseason.

For nearly 3 1/2 months, the case has been idle as detectives waited for Castro to return to Chicago.

His lawyers have insisted he did nothing wrong.

Castro’s attorneys, Jay K. Reisinger and Michael P. Gillespie, issued the following statement on behalf of their client:

“We are aware of certain allegations that have been made against our client, Starlin Castro. We have thoroughly investigated this matter, and we are confident that these allegations are baseless. Given the sensitive nature of this matter, we cannot comment any further.”

Last week, when the allegations became public, the Cubs released the following statement:

“We are aware that a police report was filed regarding an incident involving Starlin, but we have received limited information. While this is something we take very seriously, there is not enough information to make any further comment or take action at this time. We are hopeful when the facts are brought to light, Starlin will be cleared of any wrongdoing.”

This ought to be fun. The responses have already begun.

espnchijon jon greenberg

Remember Theo's cheeseball "Baseball is Better" speech from his introductory press conference? That's the Cubs' slogan this year.

espnchijon jon greenberg

Here's mine: #baseballisbetter when I pay $85 for bleacher seats.

RealJStorm Johnny Storm

@

@espnchijon #Baseballisbetter when I get to see the only entertainment the Cubs provide - watching Big Z go ape s*** and hit people..oh wait

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
All I can think of in this situation is Mumbles from Dick Tracy. Anyone remember?

I watched Dick Tracy last night! bgbyddit bgbyddit

I love that part, and when Mumbles straightens his mouth and talks normal. Really, I forgot how much i like that movie

I have this gut feeling that the Cubs are going to win it within 3 years. This year they might be competitive and either just miss, or even make the playoffs contrary to the popular consensus (that they're going to be garbage); but 2013 or 2014 will see a Cub WS winner.

I kind of like it the way it is right now, and would rather keep it that way- but my gut feelings are usually pretty good.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
I have this gut feeling that the Cubs are going to win it within 3 years. This year they might be competitive and either just miss, or even make the playoffs contrary to the popular consensus (that they're going to be garbage); but 2013 or 2014 will see a Cub WS winner.

I kind of like it the way it is right now, and would rather keep it that way- but my gut feelings are usually pretty good.

Usually I don't condone violence to fix problems, but Soxtalk members can punch you in the gut until it doesn't feel good anymore.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:36 AM)
I watched Dick Tracy last night! bgbyddit bgbyddit

I love that part, and when Mumbles straightens his mouth and talks normal. Really, I forgot how much i like that movie

I haven't seen it in a while, and now I really want to. That's Dustin Hoffman, right?

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)

I'll go ahead and guarantee that you're wrong.