2012 Cubs thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
I have this gut feeling that the Cubs are going to win it within 3 years. This year they might be competitive and either just miss, or even make the playoffs contrary to the popular consensus (that they're going to be garbage); but 2013 or 2014 will see a Cub WS winner.

I kind of like it the way it is right now, and would rather keep it that way- but my gut feelings are usually pretty good.

Scrubs suck :cheers here is too 100 more years of losing!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
I have this gut feeling that the Cubs are going to win it within 3 years. This year they might be competitive and either just miss, or even make the playoffs contrary to the popular consensus (that they're going to be garbage); but 2013 or 2014 will see a Cub WS winner.

I kind of like it the way it is right now, and would rather keep it that way- but my gut feelings are usually pretty good.

The Cubs aren't winning anything in 2012 or 2013.

If they go from 2014 to 2023, and make the playoffs 7 out of 10 years, and win a World Series in there somewhere, then the Theo Plan will have worked, in my opinion.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
The Cubs aren't winning anything in 2012 or 2013.

If they go from 2014 to 2023, and make the playoffs 7 out of 10 years, and win a World Series in there somewhere, then the Theo Plan will have worked, in my opinion.

For the Cubs to be competitive in 2013, they first need a lot of their young guys, like Rizzo now, to step up and have big time seasons in their rookie or early career campaigns. That alone seems pretty unlikely. Then they need nothing to go wrong with guys like Castro going to jail or something along those lines.

Then, they're still going to have a fair number of obvious holes. They will presumably have some money to spend at that point, being rid of Dempster and Zambrano's deals, but the Free Agent pickings don't include a Pujols or a Fielder next offseason. There is good starting pitching in Cain and Hamels that could make a difference for them if that's their one big need, but those guys could well get extended first, and if not, there's no way the Yankees and Red Sox aren't in on them, so they won't be cheap.

So, for the Cubs to win in 2013, they need everything to go correct in 2012 in terms of development, land someone like Hamels to bolster their rotation, then get really lucky by adding someone like Quentin in Free Agency and having him suddenly return to form.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
For the Cubs to be competitive in 2013, they first need a lot of their young guys, like Rizzo now, to step up and have big time seasons in their rookie or early career campaigns. That alone seems pretty unlikely. Then they need nothing to go wrong with guys like Castro going to jail or something along those lines.

Then, they're still going to have a fair number of obvious holes. They will presumably have some money to spend at that point, being rid of Dempster and Zambrano's deals, but the Free Agent pickings don't include a Pujols or a Fielder next offseason. There is good starting pitching in Cain and Hamels that could make a difference for them if that's their one big need, but those guys could well get extended first, and if not, there's no way the Yankees and Red Sox aren't in on them, so they won't be cheap.

So, for the Cubs to win in 2013, they need everything to go correct in 2012 in terms of development, land someone like Hamels to bolster their rotation, then get really lucky by adding someone like Quentin in Free Agency and having him suddenly return to form.

In other words, there's no chance. But Theo, Hoyer, etc, have been consistent in saying they want to rebuild this thing from the ground-up. They're not looking at '12 or '13 as years in which they can legitimately contend.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
In other words, there's no chance. But Theo, Hoyer, etc, have been consistent in saying they want to rebuild this thing from the ground-up. They're not looking at '12 or '13 as years in which they can legitimately contend.

It will be interesting to see how the fans react attendance wise. Despite what the "official" numbers might say, the Cubs had a huge drop in attendace last year. I've seen that many empty seats in while, even weekend or Cards games.

I know most Cubs fans are excited for TheoVision, but fact is the team probably won't compete the next few years, and there will be several players that most fans have never heard of, which is not the best way to bring the casual fan. Obviously they will out-draw the Sox, but I'm talking about compared to the last few years where single game tickets would sell out in February.

Hahaha The Kane County Cougars just posted a picture on Facebook of their booth at the Cubs convention with this caption "Here's a photo from our booth at Cubs Convention! If you look really hard, you can see the Cubs championship trophy sitting on the table."

377014_10150535177983679_43319803678_883

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)

Which they are forced to do because the cubs are cash strapped and need to find find money to pay down debt and improve the stadium. The $30M in debt isn't going away and the cost to improve the stadium needs to be generated from the once great cash cow that was the cubs. They are not the Bears they will see empty seats galore as the prices of he seats are to sustain a $120M payroll only now the payroll will not be $120M.

My personal feeling is that the cubs can not afford a $110M payroll.

I think the theo love affair will not last the three years it will take.

I will take an 80 win team with an outside shot over a 60 win team that may be good in 4 years.

I do not see any future for the cubs as I think theo had a great support system in Boston that he does not have here. This is the same reason I think Cashman never leaves New York.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (NIUSox @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 03:47 PM)
Hahaha The Kane County Cougars just posted a picture on Facebook of their booth at the Cubs convention with this caption "Here's a photo from our booth at Cubs Convention! If you look really hard, you can see the Cubs championship trophy sitting on the table."

377014_10150535177983679_43319803678_883

#baseballisbetter

Chairman Tom Ricketts admitted the organization the Cubs try to emulate the most is Boston. Less than an hour later, the Cubs announced their new bleacher patio and seats in the corner of right field for group outings, and a rendering of the plan which resembled the seating area on top of the Green Monster at Fenway Park.

Ticket prices were not announced, but the Green Monster seats are $165, while seats for the right field roof deck at Fenway Park are $115, which include a $25 food and drink credit. Cubs executives insisted the idea was not inspired by the popular Red Sox seats, though obviously the concept and look are so similar it should be called “Top of the Ivy” seats.

The Green Monster seats, atop the iconic left field wall at Fenway Park, were added in 2003, one year before the Red Sox broke their 86-year championship drought. The Cubs can only hope their rebuilding plan works that fast and the “Top of the Ivy” seats are in use for a 2013 World Series.

The Cubs also announced a 75-foot LED board under the new section, saying fans were looking for stats, pitch counts and the like. Of course, the real reason for the new LED board is for the advertising revenues which will be generated. It’s a logical compliment to the Toyota sign in the left field bleachers, and an indication the ballpark will eventually be cluttered with advertising signage all over the park.

143848720-14145520.gif

Anyone hear about the Kerry Wood stuff at the Cubs convention Friday? In an interview earlier in the day, Theo had said that they were 100% about baseball, they weren't gonna use any gimmicks or sideshows. Just a few hours later, they announce the "surprise" signing of Kerry Wood to a crowd, bring him out, and the crowd goes nuts.

The love for Wood reminds me of greg & MB/Jenks/Dye, except that Wood choked away game 7 of the NLCS. Now he is just a medicore setup guy, but Cubs fans are ecstatic that they re-signed the guy. He is just wasting $3 million and a bullpen spot the Cubs could use to test out some of their minor leaguers to build towards the future.

/end rant

Well, there was the two-year, $10 million deal they gave outfielder David DeJesus. And signing veterans Andy Sonnanstine and Manny Corpas to minor league deals figuring they can fill out an up-for-grabs bullpen. Plus signing starter Paul Maholm for $4.25 million with a reasonable $6.5 million club option and re-signing reliever Kerry Wood for $3 million and outfielder Reed Johnson for $1.15 million.

And there were four trades. Getting Anthony Rizzo, the team’s first baseman of the future, for a pitcher – Andrew Cashner – who could end up a reliever? Smart. Getting rid of Carlos Zambrano and receiving something even halfway decent, starter Chris Volstad, in return? Gravy. Turning an unneeded asset, reliever Sean Marshall, into five years of starter Travis Wood, plus prospects Dave Sappelt and Ronald Torreyes? Dynamite. And buying low on Ian Stewart and Casey Weathers for Tyler Colvin’s terrible plate discipline and D.J. LeMahieu’s iffy power? Worth a shot.

Savior

All hail King Theo Epstein, friar of the front office, deity of the draft room, sultan of the spreadsheet, giant of the gorilla suit. The Cult of Theo is in full effect because Epstein is good at what he does, and he can rescue this franchise with you-know-how-many consecutive years without a World Series title. That was part of the Cubs job’s allure, doing in Chicago what he did in Boston. Even if the rules are different than when he first accepted the job – the collective-bargaining agreement caps amateur spending, where Epstein and Hoyer planned to build heavily – his vigor is no less. Epstein is playing his very own game of “Inception,” trying to take an idea of what a ballclub should be and build a world around it. The foundation is steadying. The first bricks are going up. And if everything goes as it did in his head, Epstein will have a whole city – his city – in the palm of his hand.

Passan yahoo.com/sports

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
Cubs and Red Cubs have apparently given up trying to agree on compensation for Theo, and Selig is (again) saying he will figure it out himself.

Theo, Ben, & Bud will probably all go to dinner and force Theo to pay the whole bill as "compensation". What a joke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 20, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
Giving up Garza is akin to giving up prospects, because that's the only trade chip they have left

I think the cubs give up Garza and get back prospects just not the top notch one's theo wants as it seems the arbitration price tag for garza could scare some folks. Floyd is much more valuable at this time and KW should be out shopping him hard.