All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

I think I enjoy World Cup Qualifying more than the actual tournament. I like having every country involved, no matter how small, especially the road games the US has to embark on. Either national "stadiums " on tiny islands or the larger nations where the fans are actually wishing death upon the players behind barbed wire. Or throwing bottles of urine.

I have been to one qualifier, vs. Honduras at Soldier Field. Place was loudest I have ever heard it, although there were 50,000 Honduras fans.

2016 Copa America Final will be held at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford. Other venues confirmed as hosting sites are the Rose Bowl, Seattle, Houston, Soldier Field in Chicago, Orlando, Philadelphia, Glendale and Foxborough.

I'm super excited for this tournament. I have 3 venues within 4 hours of me so I really hope the US gets placed in one of them.

I signed up to be on the email list to be notified when Copa America 2016 tickets go on sale. I bought Orlando City season tickets for 2016 so I hope that maybe season ticket holders will get a presale buying opportunity too.

hopefully the South American teams show interest in this tournament and the stars show up to play.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
I think I enjoy World Cup Qualifying more than the actual tournament. I like having every country involved, no matter how small, especially the road games the US has to embark on. Either national "stadiums " on tiny islands or the larger nations where the fans are actually wishing death upon the players behind barbed wire. Or throwing bottles of urine.

I have been to one qualifier, vs. Honduras at Soldier Field. Place was loudest I have ever heard it, although there were 50,000 Honduras fans.

I like the process of getting to the World Cup almost as much as the actual tournament too. It's a two year event basically. I like how BeIn Sports is showing the CONMEBOL qualifying and other CONCACAF matches live too.

I wonder after a good Gold Cup run, is Jamaica going to f*** themselves when it really matters most.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Nov 14, 2015 -> 10:22 AM)
I like the process of getting to the World Cup almost as much as the actual tournament too. It's a two year event basically. I like how BeIn Sports is showing the CONMEBOL qualifying and other CONCACAF matches live too.

I wonder after a good Gold Cup run, is Jamaica going to f*** themselves when it really matters most.

I do as well. I enjoyed BeIn showing some of the African qualifiers this weekend too (Tanzania thoroughly outplayed and almost put Algeria in a huge hole).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 17, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Nice to get a point, but that was tough to watch

I'll take the point as I fully expected them to lose last night. Yeah, that was a brutal game though. Gotta think Dempsey would have buried those golden opportunities Zardes blew. I was impressed with some of Jozy's passes and moves on the ball, but he didn't seem to assert himself enough. Bradley looked lackadaisical and his first touch often was poor. Jones was actually quite good. Yedlin isn't ready to play MF yet. Fabian Johnson is our best player at the moment and Darlington Nagbe looks like he could potentially be #2 once he gets settled into a role. I'd be shocked if he's not in the starting XI next spring.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:33 AM)
Tottenham is really playing well. Youngest team in the league and unbeaten in their last 11 (6 ties though).

Yeah, they're legit. If they can keep this core together (Alli, Kane, Dier, Eriksen, Lloris) for a few years I think they could challenge for the Prem. PSG is already sniffing around Alli though, Man U wants Kane and several Italian clubs are chasing Eriksen so it will be a tall order. They have a few kids coming up too (Onomah, Pritchard, Carter-Vickers) and are moving to a state of the art building that should help with revenue too. Things are looking pretty bright at that club.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Yeah, they're legit. If they can keep this core together (Alli, Kane, Dier, Eriksen, Lloris) for a few years I think they could challenge for the Prem. PSG is already sniffing around Alli though, Man U wants Kane and several Italian clubs are chasing Eriksen so it will be a tall order. They have a few kids coming up too (Onomah, Pritchard, Carter-Vickers) and are moving to a state of the art building that should help with revenue too. Things are looking pretty bright at that club.

Hopefully they can keep those guys and realize what they could build at Tottenham.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
MLS final was pretty entertaining. Not the best display for the league but it was enjoyable flipping back and forth between that and the NFL games

Outside the shocking opening goal I thought the game was solid quality. I don't know what the best display is supposed to mean.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:27 PM)
Outside the shocking opening goal I thought the game was solid quality. I don't know what the best display is supposed to mean.

I don't think either team played all that well. Awful opening goal. Missed ball out of play and then half the Crew team standing around right before the 2nd Portland goal. Bad effort by Kwarasey on Columbus's goal. Both these teams are more of the technically sound and gifted teams in the league and it just seemed like they both were off their game. It was still entertaining, but the product on display wasn't one of the better games I've seen this year. I'm not saying this as an indictment on the league at all, just was a poorer game IMO.

Some info about Copa 2016 coming out.

USA is in Group A and will play June 3rd in Santa Clara, June 7th in Chicago and June 11th in Philadelphia.

Brazil is in B and will play in the Rose Bowl, Orlando(yay) and Foxboro.

Mexico is in C and will play in Glendale, the Rose Bowl and Houston.

Argentina is in D and will play in Santa Clara, Chicago and Seattle.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Mourinho sacked. One of the best managers in Europe over the past 10 years gets fired for one bad season. Coaching in soccer is tough. Chelsea has more issues than its manager right now I think

His last interview pretty much sealed the deal. The team doesn't want to play for him anymore. It's so weird that they can go from first to near relegation in such a short amount of time.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 04:13 PM)
His last interview pretty much sealed the deal. The team doesn't want to play for him anymore. It's so weird that they can go from first to near relegation in such a short amount of time.

He's just not viable as a long - term manager for any club now.

Eventually the players get alienated with him and his management style, it happened at Real Madrid where the likes of Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas basically revolted against him, and the same thing happened here with the likes of Fabregas and Hazard.

I think he'll end up at PSG next season, but I don't see him as a "top manager" anymore.