All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)
If CONCACAF had any balls they wouldn't let Mexico host any games until they can actually get their fans under control (and yes I realize this game isn't in Mexico). When throwing things at opposing players is the rule not the exception there is a serious issue.

There no chance of that happening, CONCACAF loves that Mexican money. CONCACAF doing everything they can to make sure Mexico advances to the Final, especially now that the US is out.

Mexico doesn't deserve to win with the s*** level they've shown in the Gold Cup.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:35 PM)
There no chance of that happening, CONCACAF loves that Mexican money. CONCACAF doing everything they can to make sure Mexico advances to the Final, especially now that the US is out.

Mexico doesn't deserve to win with the s*** level they've shown in the Gold Cup.

The last two games were referee gifts. I thought they outplayed Costa Rica for the most part but that game should have gone to penalties where it is pretty much a toss up but tonight Panama was the better team even with 10 men and Panama was absolutely robbed. I couldn't feel good about winning like that if I was on Mexico's team.

This Mexico team is absolutely terrible. Does anyone have any desire to score a goal? They defend well, they possess well and then they get to the final third and it's pass sideways, pass backwards, dispossessed. Even when they get in the box, it's pass, pass, pass until a defender closes someone down. I honestly can't remember a kicked shot on goal since halftime. This with a man advantage! Forget firing the coach, get new players. Carlos Vela has been a disaster.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
I also don't understand how Vela's elbow was a yellow but Panama got a straight red in the first half (and I don't have a problem with the straight red but Vela's was much more intentional).

How could you not have a problem with that straight red? It was stupid, but his elbow wasn't bent and his fist wasn't closed. There's no intent at all, which means no red. It's reckless at worst to leave your arm in the air going for a header, but his arm was so loose as he went up that there was no danger. It's a yellow and move on. A straight red is too important of a call to blow on something like that. I really wanted Panama to just walk off the field. To deal with those disastrous calls and then have s*** thrown on them from the stands (is anyone ever going to do something about that? Sanctions of some kind?) throughout the game should have been enough to just leave.

I agree. Panama has every right to be livid as hell. That was not a red card. That's a yellow all day long. The Vela elbow (which was correctly called a yellow) has more of a case to be a red than the Torres card. Mexico gifted two straight wins with putrid PK calls. They even appeared to be offsides on the play leading up to the penalty called in ET. It's just ridiculous how CONCACAF can continually employ so many below par referees. Mark Geiger had zero clue what he was doing out there last night.

Hopefully Jamaica wins on Sunday but you just know CONCACAF is going to do something to make sure they get that USA-Mexico Confed Cup Playoff Game. $$$$$$$$$

It's fairly obvious that CONCACAF wants that USA Mexico playoff to get into the confederations cup.

Refs may have been helping Mexico, but it didn't take any help from the refs to get the US out. That was pretty pathetic. I still can't figure out what Beckerman does for this team, and there seems to be a serious lack of quality defenders.

And yeah, Guzan is no Tim Howard. I remember saying during the World Cup that Howard was the most irreplaceable player on the team and getting told it wasn't true because Guzan was almost as good. Nope.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)
Refs may have been helping Mexico, but it didn't take any help from the refs to get the US out. That was pretty pathetic. I still can't figure out what Beckerman does for this team, and there seems to be a serious lack of quality defenders.

And yeah, Guzan is no Tim Howard. I remember saying during the World Cup that Howard was the most irreplaceable player on the team and getting told it wasn't true because Guzan was almost as good. Nope.

Well that call on Brad Guzan that led to the second goal was pretty horse s***. That happens all of the time and is never, ever called. It's the equivalent of a 3-2 chest high pitch being called strike 3 or an NBA player called for ever so slightly palming the ball in the last minute of a game. Correct call? Yes. But it is one you never see made. Let alone by a ref not even that close to the play.

That said, thank god Timmy is coming back, Guzan was terrible. And Beckerman brings nothing to the team. Everyone except Klinsmann knew he'd struggle against Jamaica's speed. Really poor from the US. Of course, they're probably still around if Johannsson buries that wide open header from 6 yards out instead of skying it.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)
Well that call on Brad Guzan that led to the second goal was pretty horse s***. That happens all of the time and is never, ever called. It's the equivalent of a 3-2 chest high pitch being called strike 3 or an NBA player called for ever so slightly palming the ball in the last minute of a game. Correct call? Yes. But it is one you never see made. Let alone by a ref not even that close to the play.

That said, thank god Timmy is coming back, Guzan was terrible. And Beckerman brings nothing to the team. Everyone except Klinsmann knew he'd struggle against Jamaica's speed. Really poor from the US. Of course, they're probably still around if Johannsson buries that wide open header from 6 yards out instead of skying it.

No doubt in my mind that if Johannsson scores then the U.S. would've won within the 90. The Jamaican keeper was so rocky back there and Jamaica wouldve folded like they normally do.

I'm not a huge JK fan but atleast he benched Chandler. That is a small step in the right direction. Now get rid of Beckerman, Zusi, bench Alvardo, lose Wondo.

And the subs of Mix and Gordon were useless. All I ever read online is play Mix and he was an absolute ghost out there last night.

It is funny how the U.S. government is leading this charge about FIFA being corrupt, meanwhile the dirtiest of sleaze balls are the ones in CONCACAF. And I'm sure the USSF is just as bad. Better be careful for what you wish for Sunil...

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 10:59 PM)
I also don't understand how Vela's elbow was a yellow but Panama got a straight red in the first half (and I don't have a problem with the straight red but Vela's was much more intentional).

It's obvious the refs tried helping Mexico win by giving them a man advantage. When that didn't work, they manufactured a penalty. CONCACAF knows they lose money with a Panama Jamaica Final.

This Mexican team doesn't deserve to win, sports commentators in Mexico are saying Mexico was gifted the Final and this Gold Cup victory (if they "win"), is a complete sham...and I agree 100%.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)

We just blew it. That's all it was. Good first 20 minutes in both halves, absolute s*** for the rest of the game.

Did Guardado really say he thought about missing the PK on purpose bc it wasn't right?

I'm sure it's easy to say that after the fact but I highly doubt anyone would consider that, even if it was a cheaply awarded kick. Unless he had lingering thoughts from the previous match or that the team wants a new manager. lol

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Did Guardado really say he thought about missing the PK on purpose bc it wasn't right?

I'm sure it's easy to say that after the fact but I highly doubt anyone would consider that, even if it was a cheaply awarded kick. Unless he had lingering thoughts from the previous match or that the team wants a new manager. lol

It's all for show. There's no way any sane player would do that, especially when the penalty is to tie the game in the 89th minute.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
If Mexico wins Sunday, the US has to put the playoff game in Columbus, don't they?

It's already set for the Rose Bowl if that happens I believe. Basically the completely opposite atmosphere of Columbus.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:24 AM)
I still can't figure out what Beckerman does for this team, and there seems to be a serious lack of quality defenders.

Beckerman is a good protector of the back line, breaking up plays. When he is on he is a great move it along passer, too. He keeps it moving quickly to get guys like Bradley and the wide players in good spots. His passing was off last night and his lack of speed was a problem against Jamaica. He's on the decline and he should probably be moved out of the pool at this point because he won't be playing in the 2018 World Cup anyway.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 08:47 AM)
And the subs of Mix and Gordon were useless. All I ever read online is play Mix and he was an absolute ghost out there last night.

Gordon was awesome, the problem was they went maybe too direct with him on. He won so many headers in the air to give his teammates the ball near the box, but the defense was so deep that those passes still didn't result in chances. Watch his appearance again, he wins almost every header. That said, I'd rather have had the US play wide and look for his head in the box instead of 25 yards out as a pass to a teammate.

Very favorable WCQ draw to the U.S. today.

Group A--Mexico,Honduras,Curacao/El Salvador,Canada/Belize

Group B--Costa Rica,Panama,Grenada/Haiti,Jamaica/Nicaragua

Group C--US,Trinidad Tabago, St Vincent/Aruba,Antigua and Barbuda/Guatemala

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
Very favorable WCQ draw to the U.S. today.

Group A--Mexico,Honduras,Curacao/El Salvador,Canada/Belize

Group B--Costa Rica,Panama,Grenada/Haiti,Jamaica/Nicaragua

Group C--US,Trinidad Tabago, St Vincent/Aruba,Antigua and Barbuda/Guatemala

That group B is rough assuming Haiti and Jamaica get through. Costa Rica could go from World Cup quarterfinals to not even making the hex!