All New Soccer Thread ~ All Levels ~ All Leagues

Texsox

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 19, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
Could be a huge day for Tottenham if scores hold.

Tottenham up 2-0 on Southhampton

MU down 2-0 to Norwich City

Liverpool lost too. Would have been nice if that Everton-Leicester match ended in a draw. Although still unlikely, I've got $25 on Tottenham to win at 125-1 odds. You never know! :lol:

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Dec 17, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
He's just not viable as a long - term manager for any club now.

Eventually the players get alienated with him and his management style, it happened at Real Madrid where the likes of Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas basically revolted against him, and the same thing happened here with the likes of Fabregas and Hazard.

I think he'll end up at PSG next season, but I don't see him as a "top manager" anymore.

Seems like Man U is interested. People are getting tired of Van Gaal mis-using his best players.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 21, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
Seems like Man U is interested. People are getting tired of Van Gaal mis-using his best players.

Yeah I think Van Gaal has to win at least 1 of the Boxing Day Fixtures to keep his job.

Pep Guardiola is made for that job I reckon, but it seems like City have him signed up already for next season.

If Mourinho got the Man Utd job, it would mean players like Juan Mata would probably be straight out the door.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Jordan Morris is turning down an offer from Werder Bremen to sign with the Seattle Sounders. That's disappointing. I really feel like MLS is hurting the USMNT. No US field players are testing and pushing themselves overseas any more.

I don't really think I agree with this in Morris' case. It probably would have been better to see Bradley keep pushing in Europe, but I don't think MLS is hurting the national team on the whole. Altidore needed playing time, Jones and Dempsey were getting older so dropping to MLS wasn't much below where they'd be in Europe anyway. Plus, Dempsey was the US' best field player for much of 2015 so MLS didn't seem to hurt him.

As for Morris, he's making the jump from college to MLS, which is still significant. He's playing with three well-regarded international forwards in Dempsey, Obafemi Martins and Nelson Valdez, which means getting playing time will not be easy and he's going to be pushed in training. Now, if he becomes a star in MLS and is still in the league 3-4 years from now, I will probably agree with you. For now, this is a good jump. He has time to make other jumps later.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 2, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
Jamie Vardy just scored a goal almost as good as Alli's. Leicester keeps defying the odds

Holy longshots...

https://twitter.com/worldsoccershop/status/...627070522068993

This year has really been a perfect storm for Leceister. Chelsea's demise, United's boring play, City and Arsenal's inability to perform to their fullest, and Mahrez and Vardy becoming nearly world class players out of nowhere.

They're 10 points up on the last Champions League spot. It's almost a lock that they're gonna finish top 4.

Edited by chw42

What is up with all these players getting transferred to China? Guarin, Gervinho, Jackson Martinez, Ramires, and now maybe Alex Teixiera. These are all good players that the MLS can't even attract. Where's all this money coming from? Jackson's the 5th highest paid player in the world with the wage he's going to get. AFAIK the Chinese league, outside of Guangzhou Evergrande aren't any good.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
What is up with all these players getting transferred to China? Guarin, Gervinho, Jackson Martinez, Ramires, and now maybe Alex Teixiera. These are all good players that the MLS can't even attract. Where's all this money coming from? Jackson's the 5th highest paid player in the world with the wage he's going to get. AFAIK the Chinese league, outside of Guangzhou Evergrande aren't any good.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/don-t-look-no...-pla-1755273200

Article from Deadspin expanding on your post. Shows how many really good players they've have/had over there, big focus on Brazilians. Money is coming from corporations, some state owned, not really single billionaires.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
http://screamer.deadspin.com/don-t-look-no...-pla-1755273200

Article from Deadspin expanding on your post. Shows how many really good players they've have/had over there, big focus on Brazilians. Money is coming from corporations, some state owned, not really single billionaires.

I really don't think you can just buy your way into relevance when it comes to soccer. At least from the standpoint of a league as a whole. I know individual teams have done that before though (City, PSG, Monaco, etc.)

There's also been issues in the past where players weren't paid what they were actually offered in China (Drogba).

China's national football program isn't very good. I feel like you at least need some good homegrown talent to become a relevant league.

There's also the problem of China as a place to live. Air pollution is so awful sometimes that going outside is dangerous. I'm not sure a lot of these players will want to stay there for good.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)

This appears done, 50mm transfer fee!! Liverpool's reported offer was 36mm.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
This appears done, 50mm transfer fee!! Liverpool's reported offer was 36mm.

Makes sense that he was the most expensive of the bunch. Easily Shakhtar's best player this year. He's not the same type of player as Douglas Costa, but Costa succeeding so much at Bayern should say something about the quality of Shakhtar's players.

He should probably score 30 goals in China. He already had 22 goals in just 15 games in the Ukraine league.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Feb 6, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
LC might not lose another PL game this year. Spanking MC 3-0.

Tottenham wins today, they move into 2nd.

The game against Arsenal might decide who wins the Prem. If LC win that one, I think they have the league in the bag.

Plus, LC have something like 14 games remaining overall while Arsenal, MC, and Spurs have Champions League and Europa League to worry about.