Danks and Floyd drawing interest

southsider2k5

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
Pair the Danks brothers together in a trade.

The 2nd one is a defensive replacement currently, and has some people here wanting him cut to clear space on the 40 man roster. In a year or two he might well be an unrestricted FA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

Kenny Williams can talk trades in person

November, 13, 2011

By Doug Padilla

MILWAUKEE -- The White Sox could move closer this week to trading players like Carlos Quentin, John Danks and Gavin Floyd.

[+] EnlargeJohn Danks

Rick Osentoski/US PresswireWhite Sox starter John Danks could be a sought-after commodity on the trade market.

The general manager meetings begin Monday in Milwaukee, giving Kenny Williams the chance to work face to face with his colleagues.

Williams has been saying as far back as September that the club’s payroll won’t be what it was in 2011 when the White Sox spent morev than $127 million on player salaries. That would likely mean some established players will be moved.

Quentin and Danks will be arbitration eligible for the final time and could combine to make $15 million for the upcoming season. Floyd is set to make $7 million in the final year of his four-year, $15.5 million contract, although he has an option for 2013.

The GM meetings provide an opportunity to lay some groundwork for deals that could come later in the offseason. Most of the offseason business around baseball is conducted during and around winter meetings, which take place Dec. 5-8 in Dallas.

Williams said that if trades established players it won’t be to replenish the farm system. Williams wants to come away with major-league ready talent that could help in the 2012 season.

All the blogs on the Rockies list Danks at the the top of their wish list. I wonder which GM will start the ball rolling....Rockies need a solid SP to be ready to win in 2012. Of course, they also need a third baseman, a second baseman, a first baseman under 35.. Still, they have a lot to offer in a trade.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:51 AM)
All the blogs on the Rockies list Danks at the the top of their wish list. I wonder which GM will start the ball rolling....Rockies need a solid SP to be ready to win in 2012. Of course, they also need a third baseman, a second baseman, a first baseman under 35.. Still, they have a lot to offer in a trade.

I've got to imagine that they don't want to block the guys they swiped from Cleveland, so having D1 on a 1 year deal wouldn't be terrible for them.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)

What's a good Rockies blog? Better yet, any knowledge on respectable Rockies message boards?

Edited by kevo880

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 03:04 PM)
For once, I would love to see the Sox bend somebody over a barrel in a trade. It seems that we're seeing teams more and more make a trade that gets people saying, "I can't believe they gave up that much." I want us to have at least one of those.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Nov 14, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
The only thing Sox management is good at fleecing is its ever shrinking fanbase.

Kenny Williams has been taken to the cleaners from west to east.

I feel like half of the posters that have signed up lately are just trolls.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:03 PM)
DKnobler DKnobler

Kenny Williams says if White Sox can make deals he wants, they would officially be "rebuilding"

50 seconds ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Now that's interesting. I hope if we decide to do a legit rebuild, we can somehow move Konerko for a decent package and then make Dunn the regular 1B. I honestly think playing the field everyday could help his hitting. How much remains to be seen, but there's really nothing to lose if we're rebuilding.

DKnobler DKnobler

Kenny Williams says if White Sox can make deals he wants, they would officially be "rebuilding"

Williams' grin prevailed when a reporter inquired about whether an undisclosed trade proposal surfaced at the general managers' meetings that he hadn't considered.

“Yes," Williams replied. "Would you like to know what it is?"

The reporter didn't fall for the bait, but Williams has been in his usual aggressive mode despite wondering what course the Sox will take.

The fact that Williams is more receptive to acquiring more young players opens an avenue that the Sox hadn't aggressively pursued in past off-seasons.

“We’re more open to making potential moves that take us a little younger, take us a step back and live to fight another day if we can identify what we’ve identified the type of targets you want in such a deal," Williams said. "But whether you can get those targets or not remains to be seen. So we’re more open.

"For the last 12 years, we’ve been grinding it out, trying to put forth an effort to win a championship. It’s difficult to do that for such a long period of time – rebuild at the same time as you’re trying to compete. Fortunately we’ve had some teams that have done better than others, and there have been teams that didn’t meet our expectations."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,5215505.story

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)

I'd say blow it up. When you decided to make Robin Ventura your manager to learn on the job that shows rebuilding is the direction your going. Danks has no desire to signing and wants to test free agency. Trade Quentin-check. Floyd doesn't have to be traded right away unless you get blown away in a deal-like when we stole Danks and Massett from Rangers. Then let's start the rebuilding by trading Konerko, Thornton, Pierznyski, and the possibility of seeing any takers for Rios and eating a lot of the contract. We need to focus on player development and the farm system. Also, the new collective bargaining agreement will benefit the Sox because of the changes being made towards the draft. It's way to hard to think they will be competitive the next 2 years with Rios, Dunn, and Peavy contracts messing things up and the departure of Buehrle.

Edited by PolishPrince34

DKnobler DKnobler

If Buehrle is leaving, you really have to consider it. I know you can get rid of the real deadweight, but at least then the team is positioning itself for when the bad contracts start to drop off.

This is going to be an exciting off-season, but the luster will probably shine off when we lose 90+ games next year.

Disclaimer: I am FOR a full rebuild. Kenny stinks when he tries to make trades for the big names, but he is actually pretty good when he goes for projects and under the radar guys.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:37 PM)
Yes!

Yes indeed. Get this train back on track. It isn't hard to identify the model that has and is continuing to lead to success in recent times. Invest in amateur talent, and fix the godawful player development. Use these tools to augment the moderate to above-average payroll and spending on free agents. There is no excuse for a major market team like the White Sox to not emulate what the premier franchises have been doing for years now.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 07:00 PM)
This is going to be an exciting off-season, but the luster will probably shine off when we lose 90+ games next year.

Disclaimer: I am FOR a full rebuild. Kenny stinks when he tries to make trades for the big names, but he is actually pretty good when he goes for projects and under the radar guys.

We're a ridiculous 30-game stretch away of finishing below .500 4 times in 5 years. I can tolerate a few extra losses if ultimately you're building towards hopefully a sustained run of success.