2012 Minor League Catch All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keith, Trayce Thompson has shown the raw power translating to games this year. Can he make enough contact to be a Drew Stubbs like player, or is he not good enough on defense to have that type of value?

Klaw (1:25 PM)

He's an excellent defender in center - that's why he's still a prospect even with the insane strikeout rates. I heard he might be in Fall League, which will be great - he's among the most interesting prospects in the game.

Conflicts with other reports about being average in CF (I think KG, said that), but from what I had heard previous to this year, defense was one of his calling cards. So at least KLaw wasn't negative about Trayce. I will say Stubbs is a pretty bad player and seriously hopes he isn't like him.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)
Conflicts with other reports about being average in CF (I think KG, said that), but from what I had heard previous to this year, defense was one of his calling cards. So at least KLaw wasn't negative about Trayce. I will say Stubbs is a pretty bad player and seriously hopes he isn't like him.

Thompson has more power than Stubbs has ever shown so that's a big difference. If Drew Stubbs hit 25 HR every year he'd be a solid player.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 23, 2012 -> 03:00 PM)

Drew Stubbs is a damn fine player. Doesn't hit for a high average and he strikes out a ton, but he plays solid defense, has decent power, decent eye at the plate, and can steal a base. Hell, 2 years ago he put up a 4 fWAR season, and he was at 2.6 last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2012 -> 09:34 AM)
Mark Haddow promoted to W-S, takes Thompson's OF slot.

Seems like a lot more late-season movement this year than last in the minors.

Less need to cover guys called up to fill big league spots on a competitive team.

Dan Remenowsky promoted back to Charlotte again. He will likely take Axelrod's roster spot, and I think they are just assuming Axelrod stays with the Sox into September for the expanded rosters. Probably also means Heath stays a starter for the balance of Charlotte's season.

Brandon Kloess was also moved up to Charlotte. Ryan Buch and Michael Gunter were promoted to B'ham and Bryan Blough was promoted to W-S. Gunter is a side-armer who was with Bristol. He played college ball locally at Samford and was signed out of a tryout camp at Regions Park. Just like Ehren Wassermann.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Brandon Kloess was also moved up to Charlotte. Ryan Buch and Michael Gunter were promoted to B'ham and Bryan Blough was promoted to W-S. Gunter is a side-armer who was with Bristol. He played college ball locally at Samford and was signed out of a tryout camp at Regions Park. Just like Ehren Wassermann.

Hadn't even noticed Gunter before. Just turned 22. Only pitched 6.2 innings at Bristol, but struck out 12 guys, good for a 16.2 K/9 rate. Against just 1 walk. But he did get hit, 9 hits in those 6.2 IP. Straight to AA though? Interesting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Hadn't even noticed Gunter before. Just turned 22. Only pitched 6.2 innings at Bristol, but struck out 12 guys, good for a 16.2 K/9 rate. Against just 1 walk. But he did get hit, 9 hits in those 6.2 IP. Straight to AA though? Interesting.

I guess just short term roster filler for the last 6 games, especially since he's a local kid.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
I guess just short term roster filler for the last 6 games, especially since he's a local kid.

Probably. But still, it does show they think something of him, or else they would have chosen someone else. I doubt he's in AA to start next year, of course. More likely A-, or maybe A+.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 28, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Probably. But still, it does show they think something of him, or else they would have chosen someone else. I doubt he's in AA to start next year, of course. More likely A-, or maybe A+.

I think it's just a favor to the local kid to play for the hometown team. Don't look past that.