Rosenthal: "Danks will go"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 04:07 AM)
So it's OK to give away our best prospects, but god forbid we ask for top prospects in return.

Based on some of the comments about our players I am always surprised on how little we apparently value our own players. Maybe we should just ask for some used balls and bats in return.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Although it might be nice to do so...if they're going to put a solid offer on the table for Danks, we aren't in a position to be jerks out of spite, we need the solid offer too much.

Nah, I dont mind KW taking a hardline on Rizzo. It isnt as if the Nats are the only team that would like Danks

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Although it might be nice to do so...if they're going to put a solid offer on the table for Danks, we aren't in a position to be jerks out of spite, we need the solid offer too much.

All kidding aside, I would be willing to bet Kenny will ask for Peacock and Rendon, and then when they balk on Renden, we'll end up settling for Norris and Lombardozzi or something.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
Based on some of the comments about our players I am always surprised on how little we apparently value our own players. Maybe we should just ask for some used balls and bats in return.

No, you just want Dunn and Rios to be traded and keep everyone you like. As we have said a million billion trillion times, it isnt really possible.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:14 AM)
Eh. So you take that offer back to other teams, and get them to bid up. f*** Rizzo.

with only 28 other teams, that isn't nearly that much of an option. Especially when you then select for the ones who need starting pitching, are willing to give up talent for that starting pitching, can absorb money, and are willing to take on a pitcher on a 1 year contract...you take the best deal you can get.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
with only 28 other teams, that isn't nearly that much of an option. Especially when you then select for the ones who need starting pitching, are willing to give up talent for that starting pitching, can absorb money, and are willing to take on a pitcher on a 1 year contract...you take the best deal you can get.

There are other options. That's just it. The Sox have had plenty of discussions with other teams, which have leaked out to some extent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:23 AM)
There are other options. That's just it. The Sox have had plenty of discussions with other teams, which have leaked out to some extent.

But here's what concerns me...despite Kenny in November saying he had good offers, despite Kenny making the first "weaken our chances at contending this year" move in dumping Sergio for an iffy return, the Sox are essentially still sitting right where they were in October...needing to shed salary and move veterans to restock talent and to clear space for the guys they do have.

If Kenny was right on the spectacular deals he was offered in November (smokescreen, obviously)...then the fact that nothing has happened would be disconcerting. However, if Kenny was not offered spectacular deals for the guys that he absolutely needs to move, and we're already in mid-December...that tells me that an incredible haul is getting less and less likely by the day, and if a team offers a decent package, that decent package is probably the best we'll get.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:26 AM)
But here's what concerns me...despite Kenny in November saying he had good offers, despite Kenny making the first "weaken our chances at contending this year" move in dumping Sergio for an iffy return, the Sox are essentially still sitting right where they were in October...needing to shed salary and move veterans to restock talent and to clear space for the guys they do have.

If Kenny was right on the spectacular deals he was offered in November (smokescreen, obviously)...then the fact that nothing has happened would be disconcerting. However, if Kenny was not offered spectacular deals for the guys that he absolutely needs to move, and we're already in mid-December...that tells me that an incredible haul is getting less and less likely by the day, and if a team offers a decent package, that decent package is probably the best we'll get.

Common sense tells you that if he had the offers for players he wanted to move, they would be long gone.

I think you guys are forgetting the timing of all this though...now that the A's have put their young starters on the market, which are further away from FA, Kenny has to allow BB to trade them or pull them off the market, because teams are going to try to acquire Gio (and previously Cahill) for the same or a similar package as they would offer for Danks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
I think you guys are forgetting the timing of all this though...now that the A's have put their young starters on the market, which are further away from FA, Kenny has to allow BB to trade them or pull them off the market, because teams are going to try to acquire Gio (and previously Cahill) for the same or a similar package as they would offer for Danks.

My worry is...who hits the market next? We're not out of time yet...but we're getting closer to that point...and we have not just got Danks to move, but also bats, Floyd, Thornton...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
My worry is...who hits the market next? We're not out of time yet...but we're getting closer to that point...and we have not just got Danks to move, but also bats, Floyd, Thornton...

I would think after either Gio goes, or BB frustrates someone with his demands, Danks or Floyd will go next...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I would think after either Gio goes, or BB frustrates someone with his demands, Danks or Floyd will go next...

I'm going to hope you're right...but at least compared to a week ago, the ticking of the clock in the background is getting louder.

The only other lefty I've even seen mentioned in rumors, other than Gio and Danks, is Niese, and, even though he's young, he is simply a fallback option that some team would be dumb to overpay for at this point. If and when Gio goes, Danks should go shortly thereafter and due to a sudden lack of supply, could fetch a pretty good haul.

It's very much a waiting game at this point.

1. Danks

2. Quentin

3. Thornton

4. Floyd (but definitely the most likely of the four to stay, and the most comfortable with the Sox and Cooper)

5. AJ

6. Crain or Frasor (a bit superfluous to have both these guys on the roster, but perhaps they want some insurance for Reed, especially with Thornton looking to be traded and the added responsibility going to Ohman/Santiago/trade addition).

7. Lillibridge (if we can get a sweet offer for him, although probably better to hold on as insurance for Beckham, Morel, DeAza, SS, CF, 1B, DH)

8. Konerko/Ramirez/Beckham

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
No, you just want Dunn and Rios to be traded and keep everyone you like. As we have said a million billion trillion times, it isnt really possible.

You don't undervalue your players anymore than you should over value them. But, if the alternative is to just give them away because of their arbitration or free agent status then I would rather keep them and give it our best shot to compete. If some team wants Danks or Floyd or anyone bad enough then waiting for the right offer is the right way to go. If we aren't going to compete then the desperation moves should be by those that think they can compete and need that one more piece. This could go on till spring training

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
You don't undervalue your players anymore than you should over value them. But, if the alternative is to just give them away because of their arbitration or free agent status then I would rather keep them and give it our best shot to compete. If some team wants Danks or Floyd or anyone bad enough then waiting for the right offer is the right way to go. If we aren't going to compete then the desperation moves should be by those that think they can compete and need that one more piece. This could go on till spring training

Please, show me anyone that wants the Sox to get less value for Danks and Floyd then what you deem to be appropriate.

Giving it our best shot to compete, that is just ridiculous. This team is halfway through the teardown stage, keeping Danks and Quentin around when their arb numbers are inflating just because is going to hurt the team in the longrun.

But of course, trade Dunn and Rios to someone. That is the way to go

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
What is the gist for those of us that are not insiders?

Bowden

1. LHP John Danks to Washington Nationals for RHP Brad Peacock and OF Destin Hood

2. 2B Gordon Beckham to San Francisco Giants for RHP Heath Hembree, LHP Eric Surkamp and IF Ehire Adrianza

3. OF Carlos Quentin to Atlanta Braves for RHP Kris Medlen and RHP J.J. Hoover

4. RHP Gavin Floyd to Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Starling Marte and LHP Daniel Moskos

5. C A.J. Pierzynski to Tampa Bay Rays for RHP Jacob Thompson

Edited by PolishPrince34

The Danks trade is interesting trade-not to bad. The one thing I don't like about any of these offers-is there isn't a guarenteed lock of a prospect that will pan out in major league roster. A lot of risk in all of these trades. Not a fan of the Quentin Deal-not sold at all on Medlin how many 5-10 starters pan out with starters workload.

Bowden

1. LHP John Danks to Washington Nationals for RHP Brad Peacock and OF Destin Hood

2. 2B Gordon Beckham to San Francisco Giants for RHP Heath Hembree, LHP Eric Surkamp and IF Ehire Adrianza

3. OF Carlos Quentin to Atlanta Braves for RHP Kris Medlen and RHP J.J. Hoover

4. RHP Gavin Floyd to Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Starling Marte and LHP Daniel Moskos

5. C A.J. Pierzynski to Tampa Bay Rays for RHP Jacob Thompson

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 11:05 AM)
The Danks trade is interesting trade-not to bad. The one thing I don't like about any of these offers-is there isn't a guarenteed lock of a prospect that will pan out in major league roster. A lot of risk in all of these trades. Not a fan of the Quentin Deal-not sold at all on Medlin how many 5-10 starters pan out with starters workload.

I like Peacock a lot...but there are far too many relief prospects in that rundown than I think are necessary.