Rosenthal: "Danks will go"

southsider2k5

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:01 AM)
Bowden

1. LHP John Danks to Washington Nationals for RHP Brad Peacock and OF Destin Hood

2. 2B Gordon Beckham to San Francisco Giants for RHP Heath Hembree, LHP Eric Surkamp and IF Ehire Adrianza

3. OF Carlos Quentin to Atlanta Braves for RHP Kris Medlen and RHP J.J. Hoover

4. RHP Gavin Floyd to Pittsburgh Pirates for OF Starling Marte and LHP Daniel Moskos

5. C A.J. Pierzynski to Tampa Bay Rays for RHP Jacob Thompson

I'd do all but trading Beckham. I'd rather not get rid of Danks, but if they aren't going to be able to afford him, get something for him now. Don't wait 'til the trade deadline hoping to get more from a desparate team. We haven't exactly been fleecing teams at the deadline.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
What is the gist for those of us that are not insiders?

Proposes 5 trades:

Danks to WSH for Brad Peacock and Destin Hood

Beckham to SFG for Eric Surkamp, Heath Embree, and some no-name IF prospect

Quentin to ATL for Kris Medlen and JJ Hoover

Floyd to PIT for Starling Marte and Daniel Moskos

Pierzynski to TBR for Jacob Thompson (some random pitching prospect)

Of all of these, only the Beckham one makes absolutely no sense, because the last thing we need is a high-leverage RP prospect and the second to last thing we need is a young low-ceiling 4/5 starter.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Floyd could be a good fit for the Pirates. He's relatively inexpensive, and they seem like they're going to try to contend (at least more so than in the past). Both Marte and Moskos are intriguing, but it seems like Marte might have a higher upside.

Good point on Floyd - I think he's under contract for 2 more seasons meaning his contract would be a fixed cost for the Pirates. He does make good coin, but another benefit of acquiring him is that they could move him next off-season or before the trading deadline prior to his free agency if the Pirates are unable to contend and perhaps recoup a prospect.

Floyd would seem to be a good option for any of the mid/smaller markets team in need of pitching. I think he would have more of a market than Danks right now with Danks impending free agency and his contract demands. That's a big financial committment and prospects.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:29 PM)
Good point on Floyd - I think he's under contract for 2 more seasons meaning his contract would be a fixed cost for the Pirates. He does make good coin, but another benefit of acquiring him is that they could move him next off-season or before the trading deadline prior to his free agency if the Pirates are unable to contend and perhaps recoup a prospect.

Floyd would seem to be a good option for any of the mid/smaller markets team in need of pitching. I think he would have more of a market than Danks right now with Danks impending free agency and his contract demands. That's a big financial committment and prospects.

Except there's not really a compelling reason to trade Floyd, unless we're bowled over with an offer.

Definitely, we could be competitive by 2013, the last year of his contract. We know he'll be wildly inconsistent within the course of the season but put up the same numbers he normally does at year's end. and we need a stabilizing veteran presence to balance things out with Peavy obviously leaving after 2012 and Danks already on the way out of town.

I'd keep Floyd, and just pencil him in as the #3 starter the next two years.

That gives you Sale and Molina to be the frontline starters, Humber as your 4 and Stewart, Axelrod, Santiago and Petricka to battle it out for the back end of the rotation/longman spot.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
We don't know. If Danks turned down the deal he signed, he may have gone. The offer may have been a last ditch effort to keep him.

I've learned to not speak in absolutes. Apparently Mr. Rosenthal should as well!

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 07:09 PM)
Taking clothing hints from former il senator Paul Simon makes him a dips*** above all other

I don't know what this means in the slightest.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I've learned to not speak in absolutes. Apparently Mr. Rosenthal should as well!

He's a sith!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 11:34 AM)
I think he wears bow ties for charity.

From a SouthSideSox post, quoting Rosenthal:

Guillen is at or near the top of my "Managers on the Hot Seat" column every spring. Last season I dropped him to No. 2, just behind the Athletics’ Bob Geren, just ahead of the Marlins’ Edwin Rodriguez.

Pretty fortuitous, if I do say so myself, but Ozzie immediately began squawking on Twitter, saying he would take my job, etc. ... To quote LoMo, I literally had no idea what the dude was talking about.

I reminded Ozzie on Twitter that when he worked for FOX during the 2010 postseason, he pledged to wear a bow tie in a heartwarming display of network solidarity — and never did anything of the sort.

Ozzie responded that he would wear a bow tie the following postseason, at which point I reminded him that his goal should be to manage in the postseason, not broadcast in it.

And you wonder why Oz no longer is managing the White Sox.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2012/1/5/26837...zy-trade-rumors

:headbang

QUOTE (Brian @ Jan 6, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
We don't know. If Danks turned down the deal he signed, he may have gone. The offer may have been a last ditch effort to keep him.

I have nothing to base it on, but with the way this off-season has gone, I'll bet the Danks extension finally came together because Kenny was going to trade John to somewhere like Baltimore or Toronto where he didn't want to go, so his "price" for an extension quickly dropped. It happened way too randomly at a time when Kenny was/is selling this team to the highest bidder.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:29 AM)
I have nothing to base it on, but with the way this off-season has gone, I'll bet the Danks extension finally came together because Kenny was going to trade John to somewhere like Baltimore or Toronto where he didn't want to go, so his "price" for an extension quickly dropped. It happened way too randomly at a time when Kenny was/is selling this team to the highest bidder.

I have thought about this a bit and I think it was a calculated gamble by both parties. Danks came off a weaker 2011 season and his value both from a trade and contract standpoint may have taken a hit. Meanwhile, KW is confident in how good Danks can be and realized he was not going to get what he wanted in return on a trade. So he shifts to trying to trade Floyd for value and keeping Danks instead. Now, he has Danks under team control for what could look like a bargain if Danks bounces back. Come trade deadline this year or next, he has something potentially very marketable that could garner some decent prospects. Meanwhile, if Danks builds up his value and the Sox contend, he doesn't have to move anywhere and will get paid again in a few years. If the Sox don't contend, he may be moved to a top franchise looking for a strong lefty to bolster their rotation. On the surface, it makes no sense to resign him in the midst of rebuilding, but it could be money well spent.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
I have thought about this a bit and I think it was a calculated gamble by both parties. Danks came off a weaker 2011 season and his value both from a trade and contract standpoint may have taken a hit. Meanwhile, KW is confident in how good Danks can be and realized he was not going to get what he wanted in return on a trade. So he shifts to trying to trade Floyd for value and keeping Danks instead. Now, he has Danks under team control for what could look like a bargain if Danks bounces back. Come trade deadline this year or next, he has something potentially very marketable that could garner some decent prospects. Meanwhile, if Danks builds up his value and the Sox contend, he doesn't have to move anywhere and will get paid again in a few years. If the Sox don't contend, he may be moved to a top franchise looking for a strong lefty to bolster their rotation. On the surface, it makes no sense to resign him in the midst of rebuilding, but it could be money well spent.

Danks does have a full no-trade clause for this season, and a partial one for the four years after this, FWIW.

That makes a ton of sense, I hadn't thought about that.

It's certainly possible, but Docsox, the guy with the best sources on this site by far, has been saying for a very long time that we would be resigning Danks. I really don't think Kenny ever planned on trading him, at least not for a realistic package.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jan 9, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
It's certainly possible, but Docsox, the guy with the best sources on this site by far, has been saying for a very long time that we would be resigning Danks. I really don't think Kenny ever planned on trading him, at least not for a realistic package.

I think they fully intended on trading Danks, but were underwhelmed by the return they could get for him so they made the decision to resign him. I don't think they had resigning him as a likely option.