2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Signing Cespedes, the hottest free agent OF available, complete with the international hype machine surrounding him would certainly extend attendance interest beyond local Cubans.

Most people probably don't know who Cespedes is. More Sox fans probably know about Juan Pierre than him.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Signing Cespedes, the hottest free agent OF available, complete with the international hype machine surrounding him would certainly extend attendance interest beyond local Cubans.

Are you kidding? The hottest free agent OF available? I would bet 95% of Sox fans have no idea who he is.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:51 PM)
Most people probably don't know who Cespedes is. More Sox fans probably know about Juan Pierre than him.

?? -The guy is a constant story on ESPN, MLB.com and the MLB Network. Anyone following baseball this offseason knows all about him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Not kidding. And in a few weeks there are gonna be 40-50 million reasons why.

The only places I have heard of him are Soxtalk & the occasional Twitter reference. I follow baseball like crazy and I don't hear about him that often. How will the average fan get that excited about signing him?

y

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2012 -> 10:39 PM)
The only places I have heard of him are Soxtalk & the occasional Twitter reference. I follow baseball like crazy and I don't hear about him that often. How will the average fan get that excited about signing him?

After Brooks Boyer & Company are finished feeding us all the hype about "El Talento" and "La Potencia," Sox fans will certainly know about it.

Or, perhaps they'll concoct some whole marketing campaign built around "The Cuban Connection". You know, "The Tank, The Cuban Missile & El Talento."

It should all be good for some early ticket sales, until they're 10 games out of first at the All Star Break, and Rios, Dunn, Beckham and Peavy are underachieving again.

I hope they test this guy very thoroughly for PEDs. I don't like the looks of his nipples in this photo:

http://es-es.facebook.com/yoeniscespedesfa...e=1&theater

Edited by Lillian

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/cubs-talk/p...tm_medium=email

Cespedes says Cubs have shown most interest

January 16, 2012, 7:59 pm

TONY ANDRACKI

csnchicago.png

Yoenis Cespedes has drawn a lot of buzz so far this offseason, but the Cubs may have the most interest in the soon-to-be-free-agent outfielder.

@dSoldevila

Dionisio Soldevila Yoenis Cespedes told me the Cubs are the team that has shown more interest in him. AP Story (Spanish) http://t.co/fRO9ADO4

Jan 17 via webFavoriteRetweetReply

The article states the same thing. It's in Spanish, but our resident Spanish-speaking video producer Jeremy Murayama translated. Soldevila's tweet has the essential stuff that matters.

Cespedes said this on Monday (today), which is pretty telling.

Dionisio Soldevila

dSoldevilaDionisio Soldevila

@cubsfan there were some Cubs executives in the stadium today. He says Cubs have shown the most interest, but that it's not a sure thing

Jan 17FavoriteRetweetReply

Brett Taylor

BleacherNationBrett Taylor

@dSoldevila Any chance it's a negotiating tactic designed to drive up the price on another team?

Jan 17FavoriteRetweetReply

in reply to @BleacherNation↑

@dSoldevila

Dionisio Soldevila@BleacherNation He says he hasn't received formal offers since he's not a free agent yet. Cubs have taken him to dinner a couple times

Jan 17 via webFavoriteRetweetReply

So the Cubs are trying to wine and dine the 26-year-old outfielder? Not a bad strategy and the Cubs do have a good foundation for Latin players.

But signing Cespedes when he does officially become a free agent just makes the Cubs outfield all the more crowded.

Maybe a Cespedes signing would be a precursor to a Marlon Byrd or Alfonso Soriano trade. Then again, those two veterans may be traded before Cespedes receives a formal offer from anybody.

@Kevin_Goldstein

Kevin Goldstein

So doing the Indians list has required a lot of talks with international folks, and thus a lot of side conversations on Yoenis Cespedes.

@Kevin_Goldstein

Kevin Goldstein

Updated rankings, most likely to sign Yoenis Cespedes: 1. Chicago Cubs; 2. Florida Marlins; [big gap] 3. Philadelphia Phillies.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:21 PM)
@scotgregor

On his own, Dayan Viciedo has talked with fellow Cubans Yoennis Cespedes and Jorge Soler, trying to sell them on signing with #WhiteSox.

Loyalty to the Sox is a nice thing to see. Bottom line IMO will be the lure of the big Yankee dollar