2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 03:51 AM)
So what's the most accurate information out there, age 26-30?

There's strong reason to believe he's 29 or 30, it obviously becomes a MUCH MUCH higher risk...26, okay, he hits his prime in the majors at 27-30. But not if he's already right on the cusp of that age as of now.

False ages have been much less of a concern since 9/11. Cuba may be a different story, but my guess is teams will do their due dilligence considering the price.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 06:17 AM)
I don't understand the people who think extending Danks is stupid and putting a damper on the "rebuild", but signing this guy, who is the same age or older would be exactly how you go about rebuilding. Isn't the ultimate goal to have as many good players as possible? I'm all for signing the guy, but I really wonder how good he is if he'll have to go to the minors at his age. Certainly not worth the money they have been talking.

If he goes to the minors, my guess is that it would only be for a month or two, which wouldn't bother me too much. But considering that Alexei started in the majors, I don't think Cespedes will need time in the minors.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
If he goes to the minors, my guess is that it would only be for a month or two, which wouldn't bother me too much. But considering that Alexei started in the majors, I don't think Cespedes will need time in the minors.

Alexei also looked totally overmatched for about 6 weeks too. Really hard to predict how long that might last for a different guy, depends on what issues he might have. Heck, Alexei still never seems to live up to what he could really do with the bats to this day.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)
Alexei also looked totally overmatched for about 6 weeks too. Really hard to predict how long that might last for a different guy, depends on what issues he might have. Heck, Alexei still never seems to live up to what he could really do with the bats to this day.

I don't think an adjustment period of at least a year is a crazy thing in this situation, because not only is he adjusting to the differences in the game, he is adjusting to a completely new culture, diet, lifestyle, paycheck, language, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)

Cespedes is a much better player/prospect than Alexei ever was. To assume he'll require minor league seasoning when Alexei didn't, although entirely possible, would definitely not be my guess at this time.

Furthermore, if we sign this guy, my guess is that KW and the marketing department will hype him up a ton. If you want to sell some tickets in April and May, considering our moves so far, you'll want your big attraction in Chicago and not Charlotte.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Cespedes is a much better player/prospect than Alexei ever was. To assume he'll require minor league seasoning when Alexei didn't, although entirely possible, would definitely not be my guess at this time.

Furthermore, if we sign this guy, my guess is that KW and the marketing department will hype him up a ton. If you want to sell some tickets in April and May, considering our moves so far, you'll want your big attraction in Chicago and not Charlotte.

It would really, really suck to make baseball decisions based on marketing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
It would really, really suck to make baseball decisions based on marketing.

Then you need stick to fantasy baseball, because revenue does affect baseball decisions. You don't think teams consider the additional revenue coming in when offering Japanese superstars huge contracts? You don't think Jerry & KW are aware what trading away Konerko would do to ticket sales? There is always some cost-benefit element at play with every single move or acquisition.

I honesty wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if we couldn't afford Cespedes in our current budget without the assumption he sells some tickets. So if KW believes he'll need to spend significant time in the minors, then there's a good chance he doesn't sign him. We're talking about a guy who will likely get $8 million per season. At some point it's cost prohibitive to spend that kind of money on a AAA season. I'm sure KW is taking this all into consideration before an offer.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 11:35 AM)
Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Multiple reports, originally from @kevcabral , have Yeonis Cespedes joining Aguilas Cibaeñas in the Dominican Winter League.

2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

That's cool news. If he doesn't demolish the DWL, he belongs in the minors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 12:59 PM)
That's cool news. If he doesn't demolish the DWL, he belongs in the minors.

He might belong in the minors for a bit either way. But he and his representation must feel pretty comfortable that he will perform well in the DWL. Seems a clear attempt to increase his value by putting on a show against live competition. Should be interesting to see what happens.

Multiple reports, originally from @kevcabral , have Yeonis Cespedes joining Aguilas Cibaeñas in the Dominican Winter League.

To me, this shows supreme confidence that he will rake.

Marco Paddy, enjoy your stay in the Dominican.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Then, by that measure, Alejandro DeAza should have an open competition with Lillibridge for the starting job/leadoff role in LF/CF.

Because Alej pretty much sucked this winter in 100+ AB's.

Not at all. De Aza has a track record of MLB play. Cespedes does not, so if Cespedes sucks or plays in the middle of the pack, then that's the only data we have to go on, so we assume he rates with those players.

I'm just saying that comparison is awesome for GMs because they'll know if they have a MLB player or a prospect, and can more accurately value him.

Except arguably Cespedes is the best player (along with Gourriel) to come out of Cuba in this current generation of players.

DeAza was a waiver claim, largely due to injury/depth issues with the Marlins, but cheaply available nonetheless.

At the least, Cespedes will get around $20-25 million. And we've seen some guesses for $50-60 million on the top side of the range. Nobody would have given Alejandro $1 million+ guaranteed when he left Florida, or a major league contract.

He was claimed October 20th, 2009. Many teams in the majors passed on him, presumably.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 05:16 PM)
Except arguably Cespedes is the best player (along with Gourriel) to come out of Cuba in this current generation of players.

DeAza was a waiver claim, largely due to injury/depth issues with the Marlins, but cheaply available nonetheless.

At the least, Cespedes will get around $20-25 million. And we've seen some guesses for $50-60 million on the top side of the range. Nobody would have given Alejandro $1 million+ guaranteed when he left Florida, or a major league contract.

He was claimed October 20th, 2009. Many teams in the majors passed on him, presumably.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. His price will be determined by the market. All I'm saying is that his performance in the DWL will help teams decide if they think he has a shot at immediate MLB playing time or if he'll need time in the minors. In the former instance, teams will be willing to pay much more for him than in the latter instance.

Marlins will be going hard after Cespedes.

“[The club's pursuit will be] aggressive right to the point of stupidity, but not quite there,” Samson said. “We think he’s a perfect fit for us, but it has to be sane. [We've been] expressing interest, going to visit, making it very clear to his representatives and to him and his family that we think he should not be anywhere other than Miami. As a Cuban and someone in the DR, it makes perfect sense. We have a perfect position for him to play. It would be great."

Samson went on to say that the club is prepared for the sizable signing bonus and contract that Cespedes will likely command. However, Miami will back off if another team looks to "make a bigger splash or get irrational."

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseb...top-target.html

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 12, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
I'm not sure what you're arguing. His price will be determined by the market. All I'm saying is that his performance in the DWL will help teams decide if they think he has a shot at immediate MLB playing time or if he'll need time in the minors. In the former instance, teams will be willing to pay much more for him than in the latter instance.

That despite DeAza's "track record of MLB play," Cespedes' overall ability, five tool skills/potential, and track record in Cuba as well as in international play, and, most importantly, in the eyes of talent scouts and evaluators, puts him in a much more exclusive or rarefied zip code.

That game is worth watching just for the HOOTERS-esque dugout dancing girls outfits alone.

Already heard a LORENZO BARCELO mention, pitching Sabado before Fausto Carmona.

Well, that's not going well. 0 for 2.

His second ab, he struck out on an outside pitch that Alexei, Juan Uribe or Gordon Beckham might have been able to hold up on.

DHing, so can't give any comments on play in OF.

Looks a bit bulky now, less so than Viciedo, but has the build of an NFL strong safety.

Edited by caulfield12