2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the Fukudome experience, you'd have to think that organization would still be a little bit gunshy about an international FA outfielder, we shall see.

New F.O., new scouting system in place, Ricketts will certainly trust Epstein's judgement to a large extent for at least 2-3 years.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
I wonder if the White Sox were to sign him...if it would be like the Rios situation, where many would be arguing we were trying to sign him largely to prevent him from going to the Tigers (or Cubs)?

What's his current batting line?

Why the f*** would we care if he went to the cubs?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 07:45 PM)
After the Fukudome experience, you'd have to think that organization would still be a little bit gunshy about an international FA outfielder, we shall see.

New F.O., new scouting system in places, Ricketts will certainly trust Epstein's judgement to a large extent for at least 2-3 years.

Why would the new front office and ownership group be concerned about a mistake the previous regime made?

Don't need another young superstar on the Northside....we need our own to counter with.

Second, probably right....past mistakes won't be held against Epstein. But how long will it take before JR opens up the purse strings again on any player (besides Danks) from outside the organization making $10+ million per season?

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...tm_medium=email

Viciedo has reached out to Cespedes, Soler

January 17, 2012, 3:26 pm

Dayan Viciedo will join Alexei Ramirez to give the White Sox two Cubans in their 2012 starting lineup. (US Presswire)

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

While the White Sox may not be the frontrunner to sign Yoenis Cespedes, it's not for a lack of effort from fellow Cuban Dayan Viciedo.

The 22-year-old Viciedo, speaking through translator Jackson Miranda, told members of the media in a conference call Tuesday he contacted Cespedes and 19-year-old outfielder Jorge Soler to pitch the White Sox organization to them.

"I have reached out to both of their camps, Soler and Cespedes and put in a good word," Viciedo said. He "told them how great the organization is and how much of a great fit they would be if they come over and join us."

Viciedo wasn't prompted by the White Sox to recruit his fellow countrymen. Instead, he contacted them on his own, Cuban to Cuban.

"This is actually something about me reaching out to my fellow Cubans and really wishing the best for them," Viciedo said. "As of right now, they're not signed and I can't tell them which way to go, but I can just give them my advice, especially having come in a similar situation that they're in.

"And also just tell them how much I would really enjoy having them on the team with us here and how good the organization is. I think it'd just be a great fit."

As it stands, the Cubs have shown the most interest in signing Cespedes, but the White Sox were listed by the 26-year-old earlier in the month as one of six teams that had shown strong interest.

Soler hasn't garnered a ton of attention, as unlike Cespedes, he's not major-league ready. But if the Sox land him, he'd instantly become the best position player prospect in their farm system.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 10:57 PM)
Don't need another young superstar on the Northside....we need our own to counter with.

Second, probably right....past mistakes won't be held against Epstein. But how long will it take before JR opens up the purse strings again on any player (besides Danks) from outside the organization making $10+ million per season?

The last team on the planet we should be worried about matching is the Cubs.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 17, 2012 -> 11:57 PM)

If we don't make any salary adding moves, we're going to be sitting close to $80 million in payroll next year once Peavy and Pierzynski and Thornton's contracts end.

So, I'd say next offseason we'll be in that market, depending on who succeeds and who collapses this year.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
I still have yet to figure out your avatar.

Based God is a catchphrase often used in image macros referring to rap artist Lil B. The overlaid text typically mentions Based God “f***ing b****es”, or say “thank you Based God” with an image of someone crying.

Thank-You-Based-God.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 08:23 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=2536981:date=Jan 18, 2012 -> 06:39 AM:name=Milkman delivers)-->
QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
<!--quotec-->I still have yet to figure out your avatar.

Based God is a catchphrase often used in image macros referring to rap artist Lil B. The overlaid text typically mentions Based God “f***ing b****es”, or say “thank you Based God” with an image of someone crying.

Thank-You-Based-God.jpg

Haha, thanks.

Interesting on Cespedes

http://baseballdeworld.com/tag/cuba/

Apart from the fact that the Island holds only 11 million inhabitants, and that no foreign player takes part on the tournament, Cuba also suffers the brain drain of many of its talented players, since many of them leave the country seeking the handsome contract offers of Major League Baseball teams – Cuban baseball is supposedly amateur. Eight squads would put the bar higher and would cause the amount of homers to drop as the quality of pitching, so scattered all over the country, would make hitters face good hurlers more frequently.

An example of what this causes is that one of last year’s homerun record setters, Yoennis Cespedes – who fled the country and currently tries to make his way to the Major Leagues –, managed 33 blasts: none of them against quality pitching (he hit none vs throwers that were members of the 2010 or 2011 Cuban National teams), and he failed to produce in the clutch, since none of his shots came after the seventh frame. Still, he tied for the lead in homeruns and led the league in RBI’s. In addition, in his first two postseason games he struck out six times.

The competitive level of the main championship of Cuban baseball has dropped considerably, and that, along with the other countries’ constant development, has caused Cuba to lose every major tournament since their victory in the 2007 Pan Am Games. People are questioning in the streets whether a second shorter domestic event with not so many teams will be played prior to the 2013 World Baseball Classic, an event that saw the Cubans make it to the finals in the first edition of 2006, and be left out of medals (5th place) in 2009’s version.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Greetings and Salutations,

Cespedes first bomb in Quisquella Stadium which is supposed to be a big stadium. I hope the Tank does well for you.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Welcome back Cubano...

Yes, glad to see you back here. Keep us informed about these Cuban prospects!

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)

Cespedes first bomb in Quisquella Stadium which is supposed to be a big stadium. I hope the Tank does well for you.

CUBANO!!!! Welcome back!!! I've always hoped you'd come back and share your thoughts on more of the Cuban free agents. I always tremendously enjoyed your posts the last time you were here, you were one of my favorite posters.

Welcome back, dude, hope you stay around. :)

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)

Nice - we where just speaking fondly of you Cubano!

We missed ya brotha. :)

Welcome Back! :headbang

:notworthy

QUOTE (Cubano @ Jan 18, 2012 -> 07:03 PM)
Cespedes first bomb in Quisquella Stadium which is supposed to be a big stadium.

Sign him. Sign him now.

How much do you suspect him to receive Cubano?

Any inside track on where he lands?

Cheers