Adam Dunn is not done

soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
This, plus - my next question would be - was this a secret to Ozzie? He was sticking him in situations that didn't favor him all year. No big Ozzie fan, but I can't believe he'd do that KNOWING there was an issue with his kid.

Come to think of it - I doubt Ozzie would be able to keep his f***ing mouth shut about it.

That is giving Ozzie more credit than I would.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 11:54 PM)
This, plus - my next question would be - was this a secret to Ozzie? He was sticking him in situations that didn't favor him all year. No big Ozzie fan, but I can't believe he'd do that KNOWING there was an issue with his kid.

Come to think of it - I doubt Ozzie would be able to keep his f***ing mouth shut about it.

Well...Ozzie has managed to keep his mouth shut about other guys' personal problems in the past, at least until the point where that player leaves the Sox and rips Ozzie.

Well...Ozzie has managed to keep his mouth shut about other guys' personal problems in the past, at least until the point where that player leaves the Sox and rips Ozzie.

Or his dumb ass kid blabs about them all over Twitter....

Either way, I think we all agree that we'd love to see Adam bounce back. From all accounts, he seems to be a good guy that got into a hole last year and just couldn't get out.

He was literally the most consistent player in terms of production out there that we could have gotten.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Either way, I think we all agree that we'd love to see Adam bounce back. From all accounts, he seems to be a good guy that got into a hole last year and just couldn't get out.

He was literally the most consistent player in terms of production out there that we could have gotten.

Which is why he season is all of the more stunning.

QUOTE (Andrew @ Dec 22, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)

I think Ozzie did that intentionally. I think he was putting Dunn in the worst spots possible to screw with him and to set him up for failure because he did not like Dunn nor what he represented to the White Sox and it was his way of getting back at Williams for giving him a team he did not want. Yes, I think Ozzie is that petty and shallow.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 25, 2011 -> 05:10 AM)
I think Ozzie did that intentionally. I think he was putting Dunn in the worst spots possible to screw with him and to set him up for failure because he did not like Dunn nor what he represented to the White Sox and it was his way of getting back at Williams for giving him a team he did not want. Yes, I think Ozzie is that petty and shallow.

I actually thought that during the season too. He does seem that petty to me, just based on evidence at hand.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Dec 23, 2011 -> 04:14 PM)

Well it's not going to do us any good sitting here whining about it. We're in a hole! We're just going to have to dig ourselves out!

Edited by iamshack

I disagree. I did not like the acquistion from Day One, although I did not think he would be this bad. He was already overweight, slow and struck out way too much, could not play defense, and he would thus have little or no trading value. Those were givens at the time of signing. Even if he hit his numbers for one year, he would not be worth an expenditure of $56 Million. Plus we gave up a Number 1 draft pick. What is that worth to an organization that needs talent everywhere? Why would anyone have thought that he would be able to hit his old numbers for four more years? If Kenny had offered similar money for two years, I maybe could have accepted it. But Dunn's Agent wanted four years, obviously, so Kenny caves and gives him whatever he wants. Classic case of Kenny being out-negotiated by the Agent, and the White Sox getting stuck withn the bills and forced to play with a 24 man roster.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 25, 2011 -> 08:10 AM)

Ugh.

This is all part of the sports cliche.

Blame the manager. Too easy to blame the players or uh, the guy who acquired the players.

You think Ozzie did that intentionally? wow.

Yeah Ozzie is the devil.

And this has nothing to do with my opinion of the Dunn family situation. If his child is sick, prayers go to them.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)

I disagree. I did not like the acquistion from Day One, although I did not think he would be this bad. He was already overweight, slow and struck out way too much, could not play defense, and he would thus have little or no trading value. Those were givens at the time of signing. Even if he hit his numbers for one year, he would not be worth an expenditure of $56 Million. Plus we gave up a Number 1 draft pick. What is that worth to an organization that needs talent everywhere? Why would anyone have thought that he would be able to hit his old numbers for four more years? If Kenny had offered similar money for two years, I maybe could have accepted it. But Dunn's Agent wanted four years, obviously, so Kenny caves and gives him whatever he wants. Classic case of Kenny being out-negotiated by the Agent, and the White Sox getting stuck withn the bills and forced to play with a 24 man roster.

By all means feel free to ignore the guys results on the field from 2003 until 2010.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 11:02 AM)
Ugh.

Blame the manager. Too easy to blame the players or uh, the guy who acquired the players.

Yeah Ozzie is the devil.

And this has nothing to do with my opinion of the Dunn family situation. If his child is sick, prayers go to them.

and this is pretty much all part of your cliche. Ozzie doesnt do anything bad, he is awesome, will win world series everywhere he goes, and never does wrong.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Ugh.

Yeah Ozzie is the devil.

Well, there is a mountain of evidence that Ozzie is petty and more concerned with his own squabbles than anything else. That much, to me, is not debatable. Given that, I couldn't think of a better explanation of why he was placing Dunn in the situations he did late in the season. Do you really think Ozzie is above playing someone in a suboptimal position to prove a point? I think there are no lengths to which Ozzie WOULDN'T go to prove a point if he felt disrespected. He's made it clear that his "honor" is more important than anything else.

That said, I'm not as much of an Ozzie hater as many, and I wish him well in Miami. It might be a situation more suited to his talents (he really wanted to manage an NL team anyway).

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 08:52 PM)
Well, there is a mountain of evidence that Ozzie is petty and more concerned with his own squabbles than anything else. That much, to me, is not debatable. Given that, I couldn't think of a better explanation of why he was placing Dunn in the situations he did late in the season. Do you really think Ozzie is above playing someone in a suboptimal position to prove a point? I think there are no lengths to which Ozzie WOULDN'T go to prove a point if he felt disrespected. He's made it clear that his "honor" is more important than anything else.

That said, I'm not as much of an Ozzie hater as many, and I wish him well in Miami. It might be a situation more suited to his talents (he really wanted to manage an NL team anyway).

My position on Dunn/Ozzie is simple. Many disagree with it.

Dunn made some astronomical amount of money last year. Ozzie played him a lot and batted him in the meat of the order all year. Dunn failed miserably.

How there is some Ozzie/devil thing going on regarding Dunn baffles me. He played the guy a lot and the guy failed.

I mean it's unfortunate Dunn was pathetic, but IMO Ozzie supported him pretty well; he played the guy.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 10:05 AM)
The team's fortunes hinged on Dunn's bat. Statistically it was a good bet. I don't think Oz had much of a choice. The annoying part is I believe Oz enjoyed it.

C'mon! Very few sports people in HISTORY, have wanted to see his own team fail. Are you telling me Oz wouldn't have been happy with another WS ring?

QUOTE (Crash73 @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)
C'mon! Very few sports people in HISTORY, have wanted to see his own team fail. Are you telling me Oz wouldn't have been happy with another WS ring?

Ozzie said all he cares about is money and his dream for a yacht. I wish I could find a link, but he said a WS ring doesn't get you a free plane ticket to Spain. Money does, and he only cares about money. Ozzie is nuts if you ask me. I don't think he wanted to see the team fail, but he definitely wanted KW to fail. Plus had they been successful he would have had a harder time going to Miami and leaving the Sox.

QUOTE (Crash73 @ Dec 26, 2011 -> 06:56 PM)

What's very interesting is Cowley himself implied Ozzie was batting Dunn cleanup just to make KW look back. Ozzie denied it, but considering how little it takes for a Guillen to hold a grudge, its very interesting Oney and Co. are still letting Joe pick up their takeout.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 27, 2011 -> 06:19 AM)
What's very interesting is Cowley himself implied Ozzie was batting Dunn cleanup just to make KW look back. Ozzie denied it, but considering how little it takes for a Guillen to hold a grudge, its very interesting Oney and Co. are still letting Joe pick up their takeout.

There was the same implication about Rios playing everyday too.